Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Hey all, it's been a few years since I attended one of these, how bad is registration these days compared to say, PAX? If I don't mind getting a hotel that's not right in walking distance, is it as big a deal if I don't buy a badge right on opening day?

And speaking of, the dates on the website don't make any sense; it says badge sales start 1/26 at Noon EST, but housing opens at noon on 1/25? Is that for the VIG people to get in early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Len posted:

I see it saying badge registration is 1/23 in two different spots on the gencon.com website front page.

Says 1/26 here: http://gencon.com/attend/your_badge

But yeah, I see 1/23 on the very front page. I don't even know. Help us, GenCon.

The PAX thing is the reason I'm thinking about going back to GenCon; the last few times I've been able to attend PAX, I couldn't get a ticket without the use of magic, or a Pegasus Device, or something. GenCon always seemed to be a more chilled out affair.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Len posted:

What is True Dungeon like? Every year it immediately sells out but we don't know enough about it to attempt getting tickets. It's some sort of larp that you can level up in and stuff? We're under the assumption that you can spend the $40 or whatever and fail meaning you wasted money. Is that the case?

Yeah, it's a LARP with crazy high production values. It's been a number of years since I attended, but I'm pretty sure the difficulty is stacked so that you shouldn't be dying in the first room. Not that people probably haven't found ways, mind. IIRC, if you take to long to complete a room (say, you can't solve the puzzle), you take some damage and move on.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Quarex posted:

To prove not ALL of my advice is "THROW MONEY AT IT; WHO CARES?," I am not sure that it is worth paying $40 for a potential chance to have fun for a couple of hours, considering the number of horror stories I have heard about getting with groups of assholes or people who have played several times and do not want to wait for you to actually engage with the game yourself. If you can somehow find 9 other people to go, you could probably have a blast buying out a whole block, though!

loving gamers ruin everything :mad: I played it the first couple years, and it was a ludicrously chill event where dudes had fun. My roommate even won a 'I backstabbed the party and all I got was this t-shirt' shirt, which was hilarious to us. But you can tell how long it's been since I hit a GenCon, since now apparently neckbeards spend thousands on token packs before the con is even open for pre-registration.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

8one6 posted:

I have a Gleemax brain in a drawer. There was also the miniature war game that also included video game components, but it was 2010 (I think) so there was no phone app, you had to have a laptop there at the table. I think it was called Acellis or something.

I have a demo pack of the GIJoe Collectable Card Game around here somewhere. The demo was great fun, because my friend did a great Cobra Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

CellBlock posted:

I've played NSDM, both in a FastPlay Cold War scenario (I was the Israeli Ambassador to the Warsaw Pact.) and in a previous Doomsday Scenario (I was the Pakistani Director of Intelligence, and caught my Secretary of State spying for someone else.).

It's pretty entertaining, and they give the less complicated roles to people who haven't done it before, but there isn't really ever a briefing or anything on "how to do things." You just have to ask and/or just submit an item that says you're trying.

NSDM is a shitload of fun. One year, I got to carry the nuclear football as we tried to provoke the DPRK into coming south of the 38th parallel so we could bomb 'em. After the game, the DPRK players told us that they'd spotted our stealth bomber wings moving into position and knew they'd be toast if they crossed, so they called off their plans. They also had to deal with an assassination when the Dear Leader left the room (flew out of the country).

In another game, they killed Castro on us. The whole game, the CIA player was looking smug as hell. We found out at the end that Castro had died of an actual, natural heart attack, and the CIA just took the credit.

I'd highly recommend doing one of their fastplay games to start, just to get a feel for the thing. The rules are pretty loose, and the coordinators are very used to gamers and their weird plans, so don't be afraid to ask questions and try stupid poo poo. The worst that will happen is you'll be the POTUS and have to fend off hourly impeachment attempts. :v:

• Locked thread