Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm glad to have tried True Dungeon this last year, once, and can say I've done it. It was just myself and a friend lumped in with a bunch of TD-obsessives who had ran through the year's adventure's a dozen times or some poo poo, so we succeeded at everything pretty well and had a good time overall. If I were to spend the money on it again I think it would be only if I could get six or seven close friends to all participate instead of a group of randoms, but again definitely glad to have done it, and I'd recommend it if it sounds at all interesting to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, it was weird to see GenCon in the list of trends on Facebook earlier. Seems good though! I'd be alright with GC moving somewhere else though... :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

8one6 posted:

I'm just waiting to see everyone go "Lav Vegas!" for the where Ge Con should move discussion. Because that will happen and isn't a bad idea.

I wouldn't have thought I'd ever speak out against a reason to go to Vegas, but I think I wouldn't want GC there, just so I wouldn't feel inclined to forego actual GenCon stuff in favor of Vegas stuff. My will is weak and I enjoy craps way too much.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm going to be there as part of the IELLO demo team.

I'm good friends with a couple of their employees, and know at least one other person on your demo team. I'll have to come say hello!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Len posted:

Any board games come out in the last year that should be considered a "must find" at Gencon? I want to see if I can try out Tragedy Looper and the Alien card game but not sure what else I should look for.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/184821/gen-con-2015-preview

That's the list published have provided thus far regarding new/upcoming titles. They specifically request titles released since April, anything not yet released or being previewed. Not all publishers have provided their info yet, but it's a start.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Can anyone local to Indy recommend and popular hobby stores in the area? Ideally ones that actually sell a full selection of board games, and not just Magic or something.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Wait, are you guys trying to suggest that 3am Steak & Shake runs are in fact not healthy?
(Totally guilty of this, on multiple occasions. Need to find some better options myself!)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Len posted:

Oh yeah that, Armada and the D&D one all sound fun. Does FFG do demos and does it involve waiting in that long line to do them?

They do demos, and yes, usually their demo area is pretty full. New games always have lines (Armada last year for example), but if you can't get in to actually play a demo or you don't want to wait, it's usually pretty easy to perch next to an active demo and just watch for a while.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lawen posted:

Looks like someone compiled this year's big-rear end geeklist of GenCon boardgame releases:
GenCon 2015 Preview

This one is put together by BGG themselves. They reach out to publishers and get a variety of info directly from them to populate the list. Though as it mentions, it is not all-inclusive; some vendors choose to withhold some information from the list to be a surprise, or for whatever other reasons they may have.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So the problem with the whole "trying to avoid Steak & Shake in the middle of the night" thing here, is that they have half-off milkshakes from 2-5 AM/PM. I mean, c'mon. How could I not? Night 1 in Indy: Fail (success?)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Deathlove posted:

Why would this be something you actively try?

There were some posts a few pages back about trying to pick up groceries and avoid eating junk. It was a nice thought...but at the same time, when I can just expense my meals it's easy to indulge. :v:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Quarex posted:

ON-SITE

WE HAVE ONE ON-SITE

LIVE REPORT

LIVE REPORT YOU MONSTER

ARE THERE BANNERS

ATTICA! ATTICA!

POWER TO THE BROTHERS!

KILL WHITEY!!!

I cannot find a clip of that Naked Gun 33 1/3 scene :(

:aaaaa:

I'm an exhibitor so I'm in the sweat lodge they turn the main hall into during setup doing labor stuff. Going to be down 10lbs just from hauling stuff around in this heat.
The hall is, well, pretty much how any con looks during setup. Some banners up, but mostly crates and pallets everywhere still.
There is definitely signage around downtown up though.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Went to the RAM tonight to check it out before it gets insane the rest of the week; was already pretty packed tonight. Crazy stuff.

All the Privateer Press stuff is awesome though, as always. I wanted to steal one of the modified menus but they promptly claim them when they take everyone's order. :sigh:

Definitely a better choice than S&S. ...for now. :ninja:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Day 1 exhibiting all done, was an insane day. Can't wait to actually play games tonight!

I was able to scurry over to FFG at like 9:03 as they were starting to let in VIGs this morning and walk up with no line; picked up some new GoT stuff, and by the time I finished paying the line was already rounding two corners of their booth. Crazy good timing. Sucks they can't expedite things better. :(

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Playing some late night Evolution +Flight expansion in the 24 hour hall. Might try to get some friends here to play Bunny Bunny Moose Moose which I bought today. I think we're all tired and delirious enough to not even notice how ridiculous we'd be acting.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
That awkward moment when airport security needs to inspect your carry-on, and the first thing they see when they open it is a small box with images of dynamite and the word "BOOM" in big letters on it. (I picked up Two Rooms and a Boom)

Show was great as always. Wish I had infinitely more free time to be able to meet up with some of the goons attending, but working the show is so time consuming. Definitely one of the drawbacks of working in the industry; I don't get to "do" shows like GenCon nearly as much as I'd like. :arghfist:

Can't wait until next year. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Indolent Bastard posted:

My haul.

All this for only -$85. Sure I had to work 8 hours a day, but I came out %85 ahead and with all this guff.

You were working for Iello, right? I was the guy who stepped in to take your staff picture at the booth during tear down yesterday. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sup' cryptozoic?

Heyo! Hope the show went well for you guys and you enjoyed it. First time volunteering? I did it for years with CZE before coming on officially, it is exhausting work, but a lot of fun, and as your haul of product showed it can be fairly lucrative. :v: Volunteers are awesome. :hf:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

QnoisX posted:

Ah, so hard for newbies. Well if they want help next year. I'm a guy. Not that you know me.

Regarding getting a volunteer gig with a company, I can say that for us (Cryptozoic) we put out a public call for volunteers for all the major events we attend (usually Origins, GenCon, BGG). We have a lot of regulars, especially from back in the day when we had WoW TCG events, and a lot of them will get recruited first, but we usually take on a few new people every year. Basically you just email in an application and we go through and select people based on various stuff. Different companies offer different compensation; we cover the hotel stay (Westin for GenCon), give daily food stipends, and then give a bunch of credit for products for each day worked for people to keep or use to trade with other exhibitors like Insolent was saying. Travel is usually the only thing you have to cover.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

fordan posted:

Look at this terrible opinion about Codenames.

Seconded. Man, we played more Codenames than anything else anyone bought at the show. Was sad I missed out on it myself, they only had preordered copies left by the time I went by on Saturday.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
We actively chose to make our booth smaller this year by 500sqft, which probably just became more Chessex end-caps. :suicide:

But yeah, there's always some flux to things in the hall because of stuff like that, but as for how the point system actually shakes out for exhibitors wanting to expand, or how that gets parsed out to new booth opportunities I have no idea.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Having just attended SDCC, I can tell you that it's not nearly as much of an issue as you would think. For one, the mass number of people using their phones in a central area like that can cripple a network's data speeds making it pretty tough play anyway, but aside from that people were pretty much focused on being there. Lots of people outside the main hall playing, sure, but not so much navigating the busy aisles. I'm sure Gen Con will be similar.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, anything like that is cool and good. FFG charging $100 for a game that will be $60 at CSI is firmly not cool.

I don't understand why it would be an issue. If $100 is the normal price, why is it weird that they ask that much? Yeah, they're "removing the middle man" by selling direct at shows, but that doesn't account for the cost of simply BEING at the show. And not just the cost of having a booth, but the cost of multiple staff and/or volunteer hotel rooms for 3-7 nights, meals for everyone throughout, flights to get there, shipping product there, absurdly high drayage costs, etc. Attending Gen Con is insanely expensive, and I can tell you that most publishers (with very few exceptions I would imagine, if any) go into shows like Gen Con without any expectation of turning any substantial amount of profit. If they sell enough product (at MSRP) to cover the cost of being present it's a blessing. Anything above that is gravy, sure, but I guarantee that would never happen if they all adopted the "fewer bodies in the supply chain, let's mark everything down to just above cost!" model that works for online resellers. Several publishers offer coupons and various special deals, but expecting them to cut a huge margin off their prices just because an online retailer can just isn't seeing the whole picture.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I get that, that the bottom line is that many people will choose the cheaper option 10 times out of 10, because their budget or finances dictate it. My point is that it goes both ways; it's also the publisher's budget and finances which dictate the need to sell at full-or-close-to-it prices. Sure, you could argue that with more units moved at a lower cost you have a longer term potential ROI through hypothetical exposure and word of mouth paying off over time, but that's a lot of variables to effectively gamble on, which also doesn't solve the cash flow issue of paying for convention costs right now. When a small company has to put down $5-10k+ on a booth, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with the idea of hoping that more sales over time come through to balance that out because I offered a discount at the show.

e: Additionally, I can't imagine the difference in the hypothetical word of mouth marketing/exposure would be that different, if everyone is agreeing that people not buying at the show are just going to buy online instead. That sounds like the publisher will end up with the same effective install base for their games, but only one path getting there involves their budget being decimated.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 27, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I mean sure, they're on a different scale than most, but I can't claim to know their events budget, and with the ridiculous square footage they occupy on that show floor, I can't imagine how much they must be paying. So my guess is that the scaling up for them is likely not that different from the "small indie dudes" (which isn't really clearly definable anyway; who should be allowed to sell at full price by that definition?). I've worked for multiple publishers in the industry who are far smaller than FFG/ANA, but who no one would call "small indie" companies, and if sales were cut down by 30-40% to match online pricing, my guess is they simply would stop paying to attend the show. And when sponsors and vendors start dropping out, the whole show loses its budget, and it all spirals from there.

Again, I get why people will choose to buy online, completely. I just think it's worth defending MSRP pricing at all levels and isn't an "uncool practice" or what have you.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Eating my last Gen Con meal at the Indian buffet people here recommended. This is loving great. Thanks, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Starter stuff is all garbage, don't worry. It's the equivalent of buying a starter deck for a TCG- enough common stuff to get you going, but the valuable stuff you have to chase (at $50+ per attempt :suicide:)

• Locked thread