Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Two of the people I usually go with may not go this year, and if that happens the entire thing might crumble. Hopefully that doesn't happen though because GenCon is a cool time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh poo poo I just saw the scotch eggs thing in the OP, I loving love me some scotch egg. If I go to Gencon this year I'm going to get scotch egg.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My friends and I found a big thing of BreaKey in the trash the year it came out and spent the better part of an afternoon just burning through the bag. One of the keys managed to win like 35 matches before breaking, poo poo was hype as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

You guys are all talking about gaming and I am always working! I wish I had the time to go do cool poo poo with you without the looming presence of my events and booth hanging over my head! It's so depressing! :suicide:

Just do it anyway. Doing events is lame and costs money, just play games with people after hours.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

That's so much farther away though ): Chicago? That's a nice city right?

Bring that money to Detroit IMHO

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pez posted:

And I likely never will considering it's the top violent city in America for its population size

Cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Everyone should experience the joy of eating nothing but a loaf of bread and maybe some peanut butter and sleeping under a sink for the weekend.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah and getting stuck in traffic on the highway while blaring Livin' La Vida Loca with the windows down is part of The GenCon Experience™.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Purge the undesirables

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I'd definitely play a bunch of stuff. My group managed to get tickets to the tournaments they want so I'm pretty much coming for sure if I can actually find a place to stay.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll do everything in my power to not call you "Tryrunt" this year

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

Well the girlfriend thinks the figs look cute so definitely gonna be stopping by the booth. I'm slowly dragging her into the gaming hobby but I don't want to overwhelm her with rulebooks and unit options and all the other fun (to me) stuff that goes along with miniature games.

I don't think Krosmaster is an AMAZING game, but it is a pretty simple one as far as minis games go, if she thinks it looks cute you should give it a chance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fordan posted:

First time at GenCon and I've completely ignored it so far other than getting a badge on a whim a couple months ago and a con-block hotel room so far away they don't even run a shuttle to it.

Is there much in the way of just pickup board/non-collectable card game play going on? Trying to figure out what events to prebook now that I'm way late at looking at events. I'm used to gaming rooms at the small cons I've been to where it's a number of games there plus what people bring and tables to sit and play at which seems a tad bit less structured than this.

There's a group me thing people run where anyone who wants to play games or meet up just posts "hey let's play [thing]" and generally people will be down. The free play area is a good bet too, people put up little flags by their table for stuff like players/teachers needed, just keep an eye out for that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, and that's not even a terribly recent thing; We got our room two months ago and still have to drive 20-30 minutes to the hall. Which sucks real bad, if you've only stayed in walking distance you have no idea how worse it is to have to coordinate driving and curfews and poo poo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Carteret posted:

....curfews?

when you have two cars for 7 people and aren't in walking distance yeah you kinda need to do that unless you feel like doing taxi stuff. that's what I'm saying, it sucks to have to say "look unless you want to get a taxi you can't stay at the con any later because the rest of us need to get to sleep so we can play in a tournament at 8am tomorrow".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rjderouin posted:

Reminding people because this thread has a lot more traffic since last time I posted. If you come to the Japanime Games booth I will give you cool stuff as long as you identify as a goon. My name is Robert and I will be wearing an actual Japanime collared/bowling style shirt rather than a black Japanime T-Shirt. Just let me know you are a goon. These are the games we carry (https://www.japanimegames.com), if any of them are even passingly interesting to you come on by.

repost this gencon weekend or I'll forget. i'll stop by and talk to you about weiss schwarz and then be confused when you dont play it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, no way this would ever enter my home if I want to stay married

oh HELL yeah

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best stuff to buy at GenCon is old poo poo that isn't really collector's items. Every year my friends and I buy a box or three of some old dead tcg and play it, usually it's pretty cool and often it gives me some game design inspirations.

Speaking of, if anyone sees any boxes of the Monster Rancher card game tell me, it's been my white whale for over a decade now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd definitely play Archipelago and probably Argent too if there was time. I'd have to learn the latter though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I would not.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

I only scheduled a couple events a day, and I'll be free all nights probably in the game library. Maybe we hash out some "official" times this weekend.

Nights are probably my worst time fwiw, I'll probably need to be done playing any given thing by midnight for carpool reasons. But earlier in the evening will generally work, and most of my friends will be busy with card stuff on saturday.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Alright, for anybody who wants to play Argent, I'm going to be free from 5pm onward Friday, and all day Saturday except 4-6pm.

4 players max, no AP dudes, and if you really want to play try to peruse the manual beforehand.

Saturday before 4 is good for me if you have space

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Got a time preference?

I'll be there by 10 (events for people I'm with start then) so any time after that is good. How long does a game take with some learning? I'm going through the manual like you said but I'm sure it'll still be a bit slower than fully learned people playing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Any idea if the video game room is free again this year or if they stuck with the lovely pricing thing from last year?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Quarex posted:

The video game room is evidently $8/hour because they do not like being popular.

Also, I see the UnderGopher flag is on the same floor as our flag at the Embassy Suites. Let the war commence. You in that room, 8one6?

well guess i have no reason to bring my fightstick this year lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trynant posted:

So hey; at what couldn't be more last minute, personal poo poo happened that stopped me from going to GenCon this year. Sorry to anyone that was looking forward to some heavy board gaming action of whatever variety I would have brought.

gently caress.

I'm sorry to hear that man, I hope things clear up for you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If anyone wants to try The Quiet Year i'm bringing it, i bought it last year and never had a chance to play it since then lol.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutter Owl posted:

FINAL ATTACK! open play again tomorrow. I'm looking at 6 or 7PM, but tomorrow is probably my most flexible workday.

Who wants in, and what time can you play?

I want to play for sure, not exactly sure when I'll be most free but probably pretty much any time. Dinner-ish hours are probably worst.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is anyone staying at the airport Hyatt Place?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Final attack trip report: we kick the ever loving poo poo out of the driller Robo beast. Never took an attack except in round eight (which trigger both primed evolutions), but had enough will to absorb 10 downed systems penalty with a couple to spare and about 10 leftover energy . Difficulty six.

Yeah we hosed that robot up. I want to play again tomorrow if there's a chance. Ideally somewhere quieter. I could bring my laptop if that'd help volume concerns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What is Arcadia Quest? I saw the boxes and signs for it all weekend but never actually saw the booth.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does it have roll to hit?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Gencon report:

Beat Countblanc at Yomi again.

Apparently I was loving born to play Welcome to the Dungeon and Flash Duel though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Having 7+ people in a room is a rite of passage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've never stayed in the Omni, but I dream of getting to hang with anime crew

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Exmond posted:

Its my first gencon... There is 12,557 events.. Not including exhibitor halls and Demos..

HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP WHAT DO I DO!

find people and play games

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Agrias120 posted:

I'm going to piggyback off of this and ask: what are some good RPG systems to try out at Gencon that are different than 5e or Pathfinder? I GM Pathfinder bi-weekly and have played 5e before, but outside of that I don't have a lot of exposure to other systems. I'm pretty open to anything that would be a good experience regardless of if it's "rules light", crunchy, etc.

edit: Looks like Sigma-X might have answered my question.

Strike

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait is Seafall actually coming out finally? Has anything been said about it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CellBlock posted:

One of my first Gen Cons, someone bought Tales of the Arabian Nights (Backno, maybe?) and I decided to be teacher/designated reader, and it was pretty sweet.

If you played it in the hallway that was me. Speaking of me, uh, I won't be able to attend this year because I'm moving to northeast Ohio next week which removes me from my usual carpool group. Have fun everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On the other hand, I'll have to face you in BattleCON sometime in the relatively near future!

This is true.

• Locked thread