Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just bought my badge today. First time going, and first time visiting Indi. I'll be there for a week and a half total for work reasons, anything else in the area I should be looking to check out before/after Gen Con?

Also, I"m trying to plan on what to bring as far as luggage in case I buy a lot of games/stuff. How are the prices? Good sales and deals? The last con I was at the prices were a bit higher than online except for ding and dent copies.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys. I'm really excited, going to live off of coffee and gaming for four days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quarex posted:

It is kind of funny how many awesome things have overlapped with Gen-Con in the years it has been in Indianapolis. I am still sad from a few years ago when a Black Sabbath concert followed immediately afterward and I could not go.

Speaking of, anyone else staying for DCI world championships at Lucas Oil the following week? I'm trying to decide which crowd is going to be nerdier :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Conversely, I'm going to fill my bag with lots of small games (Jaipur, Epic Spell Wars, Star Realms etc) and hopefully make lots of friends with quick and simple games. I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I saw that game at Barnes and Noble, had no idea it was a strategy battle game. Sweet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wouldn't want to smell that room.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Which day is the best to spend browsing the exhibitor hall? I figure the first day will be the best to get anything limited, but also the busiest. I don't mind crowds, but if it's much better to wait to demo stuff and other things like that then that'd be fine too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hmm, I think I might brave it for part of Thursday then a bit on Sunday. Anyone have any plans for Wed afternoon/evening yet? I'd love to get some beer and pre-game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a good resource for finding out what stuff will be for sale as Gencon Exclusives or otherwise limited release/availability items?

I'd be up for that. Since you don't have PMs get in touch via monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com

I'm sure you could track it down, but it's probably more of a booth swag type of thing. I know some really high demand releases will sell out though, like the new Game of Thrones LCG starter from FFG. I've heard that the line to even get in the FFG booth is hours long.

And I'll email you if I set up anything or if we have more interest here when the event gets closer. I feel weird planning stuff this far out, but it seems like that's the norm for Gencon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I'm betting GoT will be a hot commodity. How are prices at Gencon usually? Good deals for buying directly from vendors or premium convention prices?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Will they have the Gencon releases at the CSI booth? I'm assuming not, plus I'm from Orlando so I can snag them from CSIs shop otherwise. Guess I should just make a release list and decide what I'm willing to pay the premium for. Game of Thrones definitely, probably two core sets knowing FFG. Any other big releases you guys know about?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's an early list of some Gencon releases

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/190570/gen-con-2015-releases/page/1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Alien Encounter one was pretty good, you could play through all of the movies and you could even get infected by a face hugger and if you drew the card later it burst out your chest and you become an alien.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat, that's at least 4 of us goons that live here and shop at CSI. Do you go on wed nights?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Let me know if you do. Also, I'm looking to put together a playgroup in Kissimmee if you live down this way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'll bring two brand new games for sell/trade; Legendary Encounters: Alien and Descent 2.0.

Pretty open to anything that's good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Len posted:

Legendary Encounters: Alien is the other thing I plan to try and find at Gencon. How much are you thinking?

Probably $45? I gotta make sure I can fit it in my bag on my flight though, the box is a kinda big.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Get in line buddy! I'm still looking for a room partner/floor/balcony as well. I'm bringing my hammock and camping pad so I can crash comfortably anywhere.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone that has a spot feel free to email me at defeldus@gmail.com and just tell me how much. I can paypal to reserve a spot or just bring you cash for beer money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet, emailed you back and look forward to meeting you dudes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's a twitter hash tag that's like #genconpug or something similar for finding open games as well. Between that and our Group me, you should never be bored. As for food, I'm probably hitting up a nearby grocery store and filling up on healthy snacks that will keep me going then walking somewhere nearby for dinner each night. I'm big on salad bars and low carb food, so if you want to be dinner buddies hit me up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everything good was full the day registration opened. Just get generic tickets and join the Groupme/#genconpug on Twitter

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Will you give me a Tanto Cuore playmat? :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rjderouin posted:

No, but I will give you some promos for Tanto if you are into that sort of thing.

Haha, no way this would ever enter my home if I want to stay married

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm only looking to pick up early releases, promos, and out of print stuff. Also any cool accessories like the Gencon dice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

QnoisX posted:

I'd be up for that, especially Argent.

Btw, what is the point of GroupMe? Seems like Hangouts would work just as well. Unless you can use it to join whole groups without adding all of the contacts. Just don't want to get another battery draining app if I can avoid it.

It's not battery draining if you turn off notifications. Just check it every now and then or when you have downtime.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

Are you in the groupme? Are you bringing netrunner?

I thought about bringing some decks. I'm pretty much a newbie, but always down to play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Len posted:

I have the core set and a bunch of expansions but never made a deck or anything. If we got some newbies coming I'll bring stuff this year to maybe get some games in.

Bottom Liner we're roomies! I can definitely bring cards if you want.

Sweet, I'm looking forward to it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

pakman posted:

Hello, i would like to do games with goons like netrunner as my nights are pretty much free, but I don't have a smartphone for this groupme thinger. As I'm staying in the JW, hopefully I can catch what's going on with the internet in the lobby/bar because I'm not paying to have internet in the room.

I have a bunch of netrunner expansions I bought ages ago, but I have only played, like, 4 total games since it came out. I love the setting and such and the mechanics, but never got around to actually playing more than a few times on OCTGN.

I'll post here when we plan to play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

pakman posted:

I use a prepaid plan and I never use my phone as I frequently forget to charge it for weeks at a time, and have a couple thousand unused minutes, so I think I'm set. I really am a luddite when it comes to phones, though.

I don't know how minutes translate to texts, but that will easily get destroyed over the 4 days of Gencon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm bringing One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which should be a great time with goons and beer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Millions posted:

Sun King brewery will have a beer garden each day of the con right out on Georgia Street. Come see me on Friday, I'll be slinging beer wearing a Finn hat from Adventure Time!

Also, we just released Drink On And Prosper, The Official Beer of Gen Con (™) which is a blonde ale aged with pomegranates, apricots and cherries. It's good poo poo!

vv Sorry to hear that! We'll also have a limited batch of barrel-aged Froth of Khan (last year's beer) for those interested!

I love fruity beers and dark stouts so I'll come try both!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I got in line at noon and had my badge 17 minutes later. It looks crazy long now though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm at the doors, maybe 8 people back. What do I rush and trample to get? Probably going to FFG booth to get Game of Thrones.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reynold posted:

I was very annoyed with how they were handling lines to things like FFG and Forge World today. I was right at the exhibit hall entrance when the doors opened, and in the 45 seconds it took for me to walk over to FFG's booth and get in line, some hysterical FFG employee started shouting "WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING, THE LINE IS OVER BY THE WALL!" which was like a million people deep at that point. gently caress that. Also, Forge World didn't bring any of their event only models to this event. I got mine anyhow since I reserved them along with a bunch of other stuff, even though I was emailed back saying they couldn't guarantee they'd have any for me. They had no display and didn't bring much stuff this time, kind of a letdown. I'm not going to bother heading in early Thursday morning next year.

They need to make that line go out the hall because I couldn't even get to other booths because of it. loving nuisance. They also sold completely out of their new product for the whole weekend, so zero point in waiting after the first hour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Platonicsolid posted:

My most of the day game is wrapping soon and I need foods. I hear tell of Shapiro's. Worth it?

Get the Reuben, it's fantastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First Gencon was a huge success. Had fun gaming and drinking with goons every day/night. Big thanks to Len for extending his room to me, and Will, Joe, Barry, and Jesse for being bros, even if we fail every coop miserably.

My haul. The only thing I bought blind was Roll for the Galaxy and Kemet but they've gotten enough praise I felt safe. Loved Arcadia Quest and got the promos for free. Happy to finally a copy of Patchwork too! I wanted to grab Dark Moon but just couldn't fit anything else in the box to ship home.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

However, if we're stuck on a derelict ship with a possible alien lifeform aboard, I'm jettisoning myself into a cold space death the moment someone sticks their dick into an alien egg.

Damnit Will, you just couldn't ignore that orifice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Couple of quick things I forgot to post too:

Food trucks are usually tasty but overpriced

The Ruth's Chris pickup lunch was loving terrible. Mine was free and I was still mad at how lovely it was. Two dinner roll sized sandwiches that were microwave quality patties and bread, no toppings at all, a bag of chips, and a cookie. Can't believe they were charging like $12 bucks for it. I wasn't a fan of Ruth's before but this sealed the deal.

High Velocity has drat good burgers. The pretzel bun was one of the best I've ever had, and this burger made it onto my top ten list.

The Gencon beer was good. Not as sweet as I thought it was going to be, which was a good thing.

FFG line should go out the hall instead of wrapping around and blocking other vendors booths FFS. Miserably managed.

Chessex does not deserve like 5 different booths for the same poo poo when plenty of vendors don't even get a single one because of space.

Artist alley was meh and should definitely be moved to make space.

People with rolling luggage and beach carts in the exhibitors hall should be executed.

Indi is a great city, definitely enjoying my stay here this week as well as last weekend.

Shapiros Kosher Deli is expensive but so worth it. Best Reuben of my life.

The Gencon ball started out as the most awkward thing I've ever seen but quickly turned into a great time. Just took a bit of booze and some actual dance music to bring out the fun.

Cash is definitely king, you can get great deals if you pay cash (even more so when you have exact change).

Indi CVS's close at 7pm. The gently caress?

There is a severe lack of grocery stores or convenience stores near the ICC. Made a couple of good hikes to get food for the hotel.

Sunday felt like a waste, especially when the Thursday-Saturday ticket was only $55.

Happy that I kept an open schedule to explore and demo stuff, but next year I'll probably plan 1-2 events a day.

Really hated that some games required a ticket to demo, seemed really lovely and the one game I did that for was junk (Epic card game from the Star Realms guys).

Favorite games from Gencon were Arcadia Quest, Pocket Imperium, and Flick em Up. Duds for me were Rattle Battle Grab the Loot (great art and components, very meh game), Codenames (just don't buy the hype), and all the games I couldn't find here!

Overall I had a great first Gencon and look forward to next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kaddish posted:

You never played Arcadia Quest with me :(

I know, didn't even get to open my box :(

• Locked thread