Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

However, instead of that utopia, what we'll get is both low-effort unfunny posts and high-effort unfunny Caring About Anime posts.

If it's a choice between that, and just sometimes-funny mediocre-effort Mildly Caring About Anime posts, I'd choose the mediocre world any day.

Okay, okay, it's a leeeeeeeetle bit milquetoast of me, I admit, but I registered on SA during the time when moderation was a bit stricter than it is now, when GBS was still mostly-serious discussion about weird news and strange hobbies, and photo editing threads, and that's just the standard I've become used to. Call me a :ohdear: pansy, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable if ADTRW were led by someone who leans strongly FYAD-lite.

You know we should have elections. It'd be fun! :haw:

Absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Squidster posted:

The glory years, yes, before the dark days of New GBS that gave free license to FYAD to steamroll any discussion. I tend to prefer stricter moderation and a higher minimum level of posting. GBS is a complete wasteland of unfunny ironic racism.

I agree we should have a happy medium of low-effort/high-effort, but I feel like the current balance very heavily leans towards towards the low-effort side of the scale.

EDIT: I appreciate your posts in BSS, trying to suggest books and provoke actual posting. You're alright.

Not to steer the conversation too much, but New GBS has resulted in roughly 150 goldmined threads in the past year.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Not to steer the conversation too much, but New GBS has resulted in roughly 150 goldmined threads in the past year.

I don't mean to compare apples to oranges, since I know ADTRW is different than GBS, in direction and size, but to compare apples to apples on quality terms, 2012 GBS goldmined about 30 threads and 2013 GBS goldmined about 30. 2014 GBS goldmined 150. People describing the lack of capitalization as the death of effort and quality seems really strange to me.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goldmined by the kind of people who self-select to post in New GBS.

Posters don't goldmine threads, mods/admins do, and the same guy has been handling most of the goldmine selections for the last 5 years--Garbage Day. If you mean voting, I guarantee you, we don't check a thread's rating before we decide if it's actually good.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
My only point is that to me there seems to be a pervasive impression that proper punctuation and grammar are directly linked with quality posting, when I think they're not actually related in any way, positively or negatively.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Whoever the new mod is can make up their own mind on this subject, I'm not laying down a mandate that this will be the New ADTRW, I'm just offering my opinions in this discussion.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
My plans for a crocheting/knitting rotating subforum (Darn You and Dye) are top secret, Beef Waifu.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I realize I'm not the ADTRW mod and whoever the new mod is they can reverse this when they take over, but in this transition period I would ask that we all refrain from posting IRC logs, in the interest of not boring me out of my mind.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
avshalom made it

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Among other reasons, last time I was a mod on a forum some internet detectives found my facebook and added me and my girlfriend at the time(I've since scrubbed most of my personal info, but still, it was fairly unsettling since I had nothing tying my forums account to my facebook), also I can't think of a more thankless job than SA Anime Mod. It'd be fun for a few reasons but yeah I'd rather not have that added stress as of right now

This is perfectly reasonable and something we try to warn all prospective mods about, and why finding someone who will take the job can sometimes take some time.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The new mod approaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Only admins can rename people, and no.

• Locked thread