Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I thought this place had gone downhill lately! I can only hope your successor bans all non-haiku posts and shows mercy upon none.

Flights of sweaty angels sing thee to thy rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I tend to feel the opposite way; I think there's too much "humor" (shitposting) and not enough real discussion.
There is INFINITELY too much low-effort GBS style shitposting. When I click on a thread, I'd like to see some actual coherent thoughts, and not just stream-of-conscious punctuation-less bullshit.

When I am mod, things are going to change around here. Discussion of any of the inferior Fate Zero spinoffs will be bannable.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh man, someone didn't use proper punctuation when typing out their thoughts. I guess this person is a loving troglodyte who doesn't contribute to discussion. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to post my College thesis on why the fascist implications of Kill La Kill are so apparent and how I am super correct about the next Attack on Titan death.
In fairness, KLK literally opened with a fascist quote, but like everything else in that trainwreck of a series, it was only there for rule of coolness. Hbomberguy was the KlK apologist, but I've never really thought that there was a great deal to discuss in that series. It's just a shittier Gurren Lagann with more rape jokes.

The low effort posts that bug me are the ones found in Season threads, which quickly became unfocussed chat. Threads for individual series are normally fine, barring Fate/Type/whatever, which is all incestuous backpatting. I'll admit we don't have anything as bad as the TVIV Korra thread!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The weird thing is, even though WickedHate had wicked bad opinions, people actually discussed stuff with her, and so actual content was produced. I do wish her opinions had been less fatally bad, but she definitely livened up the Mahouka thread.

Not everything needs to be analyzed in meticulous detail - that sort of focus is often better used in longform blog posts and formal reviews. Certainly there are folks who crawled up their own analytical rear end in a top hat and view the world through poo poo-coloured lenses, and I don't think endless NGE-style circlejerking is the answer. I'm less interested in what does it meaaaann maaan and more in what ifs. Why did the author make this decision? What other storytelling choices could they have made? For example, Samurai Flamenco was a terrible show, but it was an interesting thread. Ditto Mahouka! A lot of bad or mediocre anime can result in good threads.

I understand that everyone finds different joys in life, but I find it frustrating when entire pages of a thread are single-line caps-less sameness. Posts of three words or less, posts with FTFY, HTH, cucking and catchphrases, these things are useless cruft that should find no hold in the promised land of Something Awful.

Vengarr posted:

It's all very boring is my problem. When a new episode or chapter drops you get 10-20 one-line posts like "Wow, that was cool. I really liked it when thing happened". Then a little discussion of where this is taking the series, and then the tumbleweeds start rolling in until the next release.
I'm probably guilty of this as well, but I definitely agree.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Vengarr posted:

I prefer low-content to no-content frankly. But I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

If someone posts something dumb you can make fun of them, whereas if they don't post at all, you have to go back to talking to your figmas.
The problem is you then end up with a wave of shitposters and people posting about shitposters. Writing an effortpost is completely disincentived if half the posts are 'anime is life' 'yay milfs' tittygif.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

However, instead of that utopia, what we'll get is both low-effort unfunny posts and high-effort unfunny Caring About Anime posts.

If it's a choice between that, and just sometimes-funny mediocre-effort Mildly Caring About Anime posts, I'd choose the mediocre world any day.

Okay, okay, it's a leeeeeeeetle bit milquetoast of me, I admit, but I registered on SA during the time when moderation was a bit stricter than it is now, when GBS was still mostly-serious discussion about weird news and strange hobbies, and photo editing threads, and that's just the standard I've become used to. Call me a :ohdear: pansy, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable if ADTRW were led by someone who leans strongly FYAD-lite.

You know we should have elections. It'd be fun! :haw:
The glory years, yes, before the dark days of New GBS that gave free license to FYAD to steamroll any discussion. I tend to prefer stricter moderation and a higher minimum level of posting. GBS is a complete wasteland of unfunny ironic racism.

I agree we should have a happy medium of low-effort/high-effort, but I feel like the current balance very heavily leans towards towards the low-effort side of the scale.

EDIT: I appreciate your posts in BSS, trying to suggest books and provoke actual posting. You're alright.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

DrS makes fanart for the touhou thread, cool, but him trying to lord over people and tell them how to make content is petulant as heck.
I'm never quite certain if it's worth replying to Plutonis, on the grounds that he'll probably be probated by the time I hit post.

DrSunshine posted:

W-wait, I think you're mistaking me for someone else! I don't post in BSS!
I'm sorry, I was actually thinking of Captain Invictus. You're still cool.

Beef, I appreciate that you actually do make effortposts and launch threads. I disagree with you often, but when you bring your a-game it's good. FSN still blows tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Not to steer the conversation too much, but New GBS has resulted in roughly 150 goldmined threads in the past year.
It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.

• Locked thread