Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

What the heck I thought they said they were going to add a moderator, not replace...

Thanks for your work over the years Zorak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Vengarr posted:

ADTRW has been boring, bland, self-hating over-moderated poo poo for the longest time. It's like Old GBS: boring rote threads for whatever is currently on the television, no humor, lots of complaining about other people's opinions like an even shittier Debate and Discussion but for children's cartoons.

Vote Vengarr for Moderator, I will allow ADTRW to grow like a forum bonsai tree: by carefully lopping off the shittiest posters while allowing the nubs to blossom into beautiful branches. I believe that a little shitposting is necessary to fertilize the great tree of discussion, so that we may enjoy the fruits of anime as free men. Thank you and god bless

bland rules suck it hater

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ADTRW started going downhill when the ins anely thread finally died without replacement.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Squidster posted:

I agree we should have a happy medium of low-effort/high-effort, but I feel like the current balance very heavily leans towards towards the low-effort side of the scale.

Zorak posted:

I'm sure some of y'all have noticed how little I've been around as of late.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Lol what current balance dude the big rear end megathreads are still there they are just sharing space with the funny g0m threads and the two music threads. People are posting the same way they did when Zorak was around it just happens that without him new people are making a try.

And 4 or so threads gassed in the last day.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Srice posted:

Zorak always liked to quote the rule about how posts should be funny, interesting, or informative and I think that's a pretty good guideline instead of how much effort someone put into their posts (Though jokes should generally be given more leniency imo because hey at least attempting to be funny is a good thing unless you are an aggressively unfunny person).

Plus, people make low effort posts that aren't jokes as well. Stuff like "It was cool when (thing) happened" Or "I hope (thing happens) in the next episode!" are comments that don't add much to a discussion but there are usually plenty of posts like that each week! And that's fine too if that's what people wanna post about, but those are low effort as hell.

I do feel there is room here for posts of low effort, high effort, and everything in-between, though.

This, and I'd go one step further. There are many non-punctuation/grammar posts that offer more insight and humor than if they were written normally, and display more effort.

But a good portion is just low content trolling, which can be done at any other anime forum of your choosing. ADTRW should stand apart and strive for the best ratio of the former to the latter. Hell I'm pretty sure the deciding reason I :10bux:'d for this site was the one Zorak guideline: "Don't post like a Japanophile moron", and again there are countless other sites out there to type like that, ironic or not.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

Then why not ban/probate people for low effort trolling and keep the people who're making actual jokes/insight that just happen to be in lower-case? It's not like our only options are 'kill all the shifthaters' and 'become FYAD'

Yes, that would be one way to do it, and that's essentially what the policy used to be like 3-4 years ago.

But I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to maintain that, with only one person enforcing (and near zero help from the community).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Best of luck

• Locked thread