Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does that mean we're going to turn into a shitposting forum now, ruled by Nite Crew posters? :ohdear:

Also: Thanks for all your years of service, Zorak! I thought you were a great moderator and did a really good job of keeping this place creeper-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sure how someone can say that ADTRW was "over-moderated" when Zorak himself admits that his heart hasn't been into it and that he's been focusing on real-life work for a long while now.

That still doesn't mean that posting "lol anime *fart*" in lower-case every single post is the One True Way, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So, like, is this thread the one where we hash out the grounding principles for ADTRW 2.0, like the Founding Fathers did at the Philadelphia Convention?

Who's James Madison?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vengarr posted:

That explains the Hyouka av :smug:

It's all very boring is my problem. When a new episode or chapter drops you get 10-20 one-line posts like "Wow, that was cool. I really liked it when thing happened". Then a little discussion of where this is taking the series, and then the tumbleweeds start rolling in until the next release.

If you want interesting meta-discussion, or any interesting discussion at all really, you're better off going to a different forum altogether. GBS has better threads. 4chan has better threads.

That's not really a moderation problem so much as a culture problem though. A :justpost: mentality might spark more, better, interesting threads. Or maybe just "more", which would still be a straight improvement to me.

Cue 80 pages of like the same 8 people having a circlejerk in no-caps like every single GBS anime thread. How interesting! How funny!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vengarr posted:

4chan has about a thousand lovely threads for every one good thread, but one good thread still has more content than what we get out of here.

Mostly drawing threads, but I've seen some funny poo poo and some interesting poo poo, like when the Log Horizon guy came to answer questions. ADTRW hasn't done poo poo. No poo poo.

Then make an interesting/unique thread! Nobody's stopping you! For years, Zorak has been trying to do all sorts of things to prod the folks of ADTRW to make something more creative than "Show of the season" megathreads. It hasn't been too successful, and I'll grant you that, but just cranking up the post volume-o-meter is not gonna help. Okay, wow, so now instead of 5 megathreads a season there's 15, and they're all filled with people posting monkeycheese and memes over and over again. That's not progress.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

However, instead of that utopia, what we'll get is both low-effort unfunny posts and high-effort unfunny Caring About Anime posts.

If it's a choice between that, and just sometimes-funny mediocre-effort Mildly Caring About Anime posts, I'd choose the mediocre world any day.

Okay, okay, it's a leeeeeeeetle bit milquetoast of me, I admit, but I registered on SA during the time when moderation was a bit stricter than it is now, when GBS was still mostly-serious discussion about weird news and strange hobbies, and photo editing threads, and that's just the standard I've become used to. Call me a :ohdear: pansy, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable if ADTRW were led by someone who leans strongly FYAD-lite.

You know we should have elections. It'd be fun! :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

XyloJW posted:

Absolutely not.

Hahaha! Okay!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Squidster posted:

EDIT: I appreciate your posts in BSS, trying to suggest books and provoke actual posting. You're alright.

W-wait, I think you're mistaking me for someone else! I don't post in BSS!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

DrS makes fanart for the touhou thread, cool, but him trying to lord over people and tell them how to make content is petulant as heck.

I hardly think that complaining about shitposting in a non-shitposting forum is "lording over people". :colbert:

It's ineffectual whining! :suicide:

Anyways, I can only really claim the following:

- The Surreal Daily Life Manga thread
- Battle Angel Alita thread

(And I suppose Yankee Kun & Megane Chan, but it's wayyyy archived now)

... Come to think of it, those were just manga megathreads, huh? Well, not being someone who watches all that many anime shows, I can't really claim to be able to contribute much on that front. But I'm handy with a pen and paper, so maybe I can chip in some kind of art-related thread? A manga art appreciation thread? I'll try to think of something!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Squidster posted:

It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.

I'm in love with your vocabulary!

quote:

I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth.

Look at this sentence! Fantastic!! :swoon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, that would be one way to do it, and that's essentially what the policy used to be like 3-4 years ago.

But I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to maintain that, with only one person enforcing (and near zero help from the community).

That's why there needs to be, like, two mods. One person who's more the kind of technical, rules-enforcing ban-hammering person, who maintains general neutrality and doesn't interfere much besides assiduously enforcing the rules when they are infringed upon; and another who's more of a "cheerleader" for the community, getting into all the threads, making special event threads like the Simulwatches/Simulreads, stickying especially fun or cool threads, doing mod challenges, discussing with people, and trying to lead by example through making good, interesting, funny, or sincere posts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

vkeios posted:

a lot of the currently running anime shows don't even need threads tbh; like adtrw could just have "harem animes that only that one poster watches; i can't remember there name right now, but you know who i mean" thread instead of actually having a new thread for each anime filled with posts like"

"episode 1 was promising I'll give it a three episode trial"
"episode 3 was the onsen episode"
"its super amazing how everyone died in the last episode"

A "Misc. Anime Thread" would be a great idea!

In fact, an all-out general "ADTRW chat" thread might be a good, fun thing for all those people who just want to casually chitchat about nothing in particular, with an anime/manga spin. I feel that the Season threads already serve this purpose to some extent, but it'd be good to have one here. BSS and GWS and various other discussion forums have something like that, and I don't see why Zorak continually declined that idea.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Namtab posted:

A general anime chat thread (like a "what are you currently watching" thread) only works if it's properly moderated and people make threads if something is discussed for a while.

So in the thread if there was like a page worth of chat for, say, FMA then someone should make a FMA thread otherwise Zorak's right and the subforum'd stagnate.

It should also be for stuff that's finished airing (currently airing anims would go in a season thread for 3 ep test or have their own threads, same as ever).

The aim would be to generate chat, but to avoid all anime chat being concentrated in the one thread.

E: Season thread would remain as the 3 ep test/news thread.

From my experience with the megathreads -- like the Misc Shounen thread, and my very own Surreal Daily Life Manga Thread -- people are fairly diligent about making threads about shows that get a good deal of discussion. I do agree that the season megathreads should be used for three-episode tests and so on to gauge interest, and for seasonal anime-related news. However, they currently also fulfill some of the purpose of a general chat thread, so it would be nice if their true purpose could be clarified.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Serious post to new mod: over the last 48 hours ADTRW has been the best it's been in years. Please don't overmoderate it.

Aside from rampantly creepy threads about horrible shows / subjects, you were always able to post odd or funny threads. Zorak encouraged them in his occasional "State of the Anime Subforum" posts. People just didn't seem to have the motivation to. It's not a matter of moderation, it was a matter of a bunch of people finally finding the wherewithal in themselves to *gasp!* post a thread in the anime forum, possibly attracted by word-of-mouth or piqued by the drama of Zorak's departure.

Personally, I'd just like someone who'd be like a spiritual successor to Zorak. I liked the way ADTRW was under Zorak and would like it to continue that way, just with more activity and some nontraditional threads.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 11, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PotU posted:

please define this and/or state at least two examples of mentioned shows/subijects

Well, there were all those shows about brother/sister incest, and a thread discussing the issues or problems surrounding fanservice. I think Zorak made a wise call on those.

But hey, whatever guys! I happen to like forums like D&D and CD and BFC, and I think that posts and topics like the ones there are interesting and fun to read. Maybe I'm too uncool to post in the new, hip, ironic ADTRW. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

We had a very active Squid Girl thread when the show was running, it died down after it ended. There was one dude who would only post when new chapters were scanned/translated but he eventually stopped that too. Or the scans stopped.

Or the manga ended? I have no idea actually.

poo poo, I need to catch up on Squid Girl manga.

JosephWongKS got probated because by the end he was just RSS-posting links to the latest chapters of Squid Girl with no other discussion. But Squid Girl is great! The manga is cute and funny, and the show was really enjoyable to watch -- it was like watching Pinky & The Brain, if it was just Pinky and he was a tiny, stupid megalomaniac. Make a Squid Girl manga thread, you guys!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Endorph posted:

How is that probation-worthy? If no discussion is happening, it isn't his fault. And people make 'hey guys, new chapter' posts all the time in active threads.

I am actually not quite sure, now that you brought it up! That's a pretty good point! I guess it's that at the very end, it was just like multiple posts by him, and the topic was pretty much dead? So it's more like spam? You always could ask Zorak! Although, I mean, Squid Girl is a rather slice-of-life comedy series, so there's not all that much discussion to be had in the end, thinking about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

gently caress you

That's not very nice!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I can never tell with you no-caps using people. Do you ironically or unironically like moe girl shows?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm just curious, is all! No harm in asking a question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I picked that avatar for a good reason!

EDIT: Wow, quoting that looks spooky. D:

• Locked thread