Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

quote:

Gunmen have attacked the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 11 people and injuring 10, French officials say.

Witnesses spoke of sustained gunfire at the office as the attackers opened fire with assault rifles before escaping.

Police have launched a major operation in the Paris area in their hunt for the attackers.

Charlie's latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

The satirical weekly has courted controversy in the past with its irreverent take on news and current affairs.

The magazine was fire-bombed in November 2011 a day after it carried a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad.

President Francois Hollande is at the scene and is planning to hold an emergency cabinet meeting.

'Black-hooded men'
Two of those killed are police officers, France's AFP news agency reports, and five of those wounded are critically injured.

An eyewitness, Benoit Bringer, told French TV channel Itele: "Two black-hooded men entered the building with Kalashnikovs.

"A few minutes later we heard lots of shots."

The men were then seen fleeing the building.

"It's carnage," French police official Luc Poignant told another French channel, BFMTV.

Police have warned French media to be on alert and pay attention to security following the attack.

Twitter is blowing up, 2 people in hoods did this, who may or may not have been Muslim already people are using this as an excuse to vilify the other 1.5 billion Muslims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

From Le Monde: "This attack, if confirmed as a terrorist attack, would be without a doubt the largest killing committed in France since 1945."

EDIT: And the French national security alert system has been pushed up to Scarlet, as might be expected given that the shooters are still on the loose.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 7, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwedk4dBCc

Hebdo published a cartoon of ISIS leader al-Baghdadi on Twitter prior to the attack, but it must have taken more time for the terrorists to prepare the attack than that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Paris is kind of a rough town these days but this is far and away the worst thing to have happened there in ages. They ran some satirical cartoon about ISIS' main guy recently, so it might have been a response to that.

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001
This is absolutely horrendous. The loss of life is atrocious, but the second order political effects are like to be even more tragic.

iFederico fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 7, 2015

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Mandy Thompson posted:

Twitter is blowing up, 2 people in hoods did this, who may or may not have been Muslim already people are using this as an excuse to vilify the other 1.5 billion Muslims

why is it muslims who seem to be doing this poo poo in the civilized world?

religion of peace allahu ackbar pbuh

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
The world is out of control. RIP to the deceased and condolences to the victims families and friends. I hope the wounded recover.

To the hills I go.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Apparently they're still on the loose. These kind of threads tend to veer towards "gently caress this guy for the inevitable legislative response' shitshows, but I'm not really sure what you can say now other than to hope they're captured before killing any more, and that this is utterly repulsive and a very, very bad thing.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
BBC updates saying the men had "typical jihadist "uniform"" and were heard shouting "The prophet is avenged." and "God is great." in Arabic during the attack. Also that they had a rocket launcher as well as AK-47s.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Mandy Thompson posted:

Twitter is blowing up, 2 people in hoods did this, who may or may not have been Muslim

AFP reporting that they shouted "we have avenged the prophet". Given recent history, the chances of a 'false flag' attack are pretty much non-existent.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So, self radicalized or something more organized? My gut instinct is the former, but if it's the latter and ISIS is involved, any chance that it could spur France to take some kind of role in the ongoing intervention in Syria?

awesome-express posted:

why is it muslims who seem to be doing this poo poo in the civilized world?

religion of peace allahu ackbar pbuh

Earlier today someone tried to blow up a NAACP office in Colorado. Doubt the perpetrator was Muslim.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ufarn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwedk4dBCc

Hebdo published a cartoon of ISIS leader al-Baghdadi on Twitter prior to the attack, but it must have taken more time for the terrorists to prepare the attack than that.

Yeah, unless it was like some sort of direct call and they were just hanging on their every word, I'd presume it was just a coincidence.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Doesn't France have fairly strict gun laws? How'd they get so well armed? Kind of early to be asking this I guess, but they seem to have some really serious stuff based on multiple accounts and sources

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The head editor of Charlie Hebdo is in critical condition.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
According to Swedish media they published a cartoon of al-Baghdadi recently, so it's possible it's some form of crazy revenge for the publication I guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Star posted:

According to Swedish media they published a cartoon of al-Baghdadi recently, so it's possible it's some form of crazy revenge for the publication I guess.

It's not the first time they've been attacked in recent years either.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Doesn't France have fairly strict gun laws? How'd they get so well armed? Kind of early to be asking this I guess, but they seem to have some really serious stuff based on multiple accounts and sources

Smuggled it in and/or ties with organised crime I guess?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Brave internet soldiers of Allah hard at work continuing the fight. or just regular trolls maybe

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Here's a live feed from the Guardian for those who don't want to/can't watch a stream.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Arms trafficking associated with Eastern European crime networks have been busted in France before.

Radio France Internationale reporting that the attackers' vehicle has been found abandoned in the north of the city (19th arrondissement).

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A happy day for Madame Le Pen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So, self radicalized or something more organized? My gut instinct is the former, but if it's the latter and ISIS is involved, any chance that it could spur France to take some kind of role in the ongoing intervention in Syria?
Syria is still recovering from the last time France had any involvement there. I'm not opposed to intervention in the former-Ottoman areas, but I think France, Britain, and Russia are the last people who should be involved. I'd imagine many people there share this view.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Illegally, I imagine. If it really is an ISIS cell - which it increasingly looks to be - and not a random lone wolf attack, they could have been smuggled in. Even if it was a lone wolf attack they could have been smuggled in from outside the EU.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There are gangs in the banlieus that are heavily armed as poo poo with weaponry smuggled from Eastern Europe & Balkans. Have been for a long time.

People with connections over there should have little trouble getting full auto guns, grenades, RPG7's and such.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Muslims don't need much vilifying though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't put my finger on it, but these latest attacks remind me of the terror attacks in the late 18, early 1900s.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Syria is still recovering from the last time France had any involvement there. I'm not opposed to intervention in the former-Ottoman areas, but I think France, Britain, and Russia are the last people who should be involved. I'd imagine many people there share this view.

Illegally, I imagine. If it really is an ISIS cell - which it increasingly looks to be - and not a random lone wolf attack, they could have been smuggled in. Even if it was a lone wolf attack they could have been smuggled in from outside the EU.

Oh god, an ISIS cell in Europe. Please don't let that be this thing. This is already bad enough without all the horrible poo poo that would come with that being the case. LePen would have a chance if that were true.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Quite shocked myself, some of the people killed today had a huge influence on free speech & drawing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not hoping for an intervention. Even if I thought intervention was a positive, I'm leery about whether or not France even has the military capacity to really add to the current operations. I'm just curious if the political situation and public mood makes it a possibility.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Should probably be more concerned about what France's going to do in France in response to this.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

Muslims don't need much vilifying though.

Hogge, is this D&D or am I still somehow posting in LF?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Oh god, an ISIS cell in Europe. Please don't let that be this thing. This is already bad enough without all the horrible poo poo that would come with that being the case. LePen would have a chance if that were true.

Since it appears there are posters in this thread who don't mind if ISIS cells terrorize Europe, or crazy jihadists murder publishers of satire magazines quite as as much as the possibility that people might use this as an "excuse" to vilify muslims or LePen might get more votes :psyduck:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brannock posted:

Should probably be more concerned about what France's going to do in France in response to this.

Due to past immigrant youth riots over lack of opportunity and government bulldozing of Roma camps, I'm sure that France is perfectly capable of having a lovely internal reaction. I'm not sure of how they might react externally, hence the question about what they might conceivably do.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Ligur posted:

Since it appears there are posters in this thread who don't mind if ISIS cells terrorize Europe, or crazy jihadists murder publishers of satire magazines quite as as much as the possibility that people might use this as an "excuse" to vilify muslims or LePen might get more votes :psyduck:

How dare people discuss the political implications of an event, in a political forum.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, that's a pretty hardcore operation.

It looks like the suspects escaped so... not sure how they're hoping to find them if they were wearing ski masks or something at the time.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Ligur posted:

Le Pen in power would do far more damage to France than IS or random nutjobs ever could, and the far right who are of your mind are just as likely to commit terrorist attacks. Remember Breivik?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Watch the minute long video of them shot from the roof. They were acting very professionally, seemed to have some form of military training; also reportedly ISIS sent out a tweet saying they were going to attack France, just an hour before the attack. The French police are describing the 3 as being “commandos”.

All of this does indicate that it is a ISIS operation or at least with people who have military experience.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ligur posted:

She's a Holocaust denier/French xenophobe and I'm from a French Jewish family. I think it's okay if I worry a bit.

Can you not do the Ligur thing in this thread? These events are upsetting enough as is.

For what it's worth, Brown Moses' twitter is super on top of this.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ukle posted:

Watch the minute long video of them shot from the roof. They were acting very professionally, seemed to have some form of military training; also reportedly ISIS sent out a tweet saying they were going to attack France, just an hour before the attack. The French police are describing the 3 as being “commandos”.

All of this does indicate that it is a ISIS operation or at least with people who have military experience.

I'm torn, on one hand the target seems strange for it to be something that ISIS initiated, but at the same time the weapons and the fact that the assailants survived and escaped from the resulting police confrontation points to people who have some idea of what they're doing. I suppose the lower key target could have been in part to guarantee a fair amount of success compared to a more heavily guarded location?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Video making the rounds on YouTube and Facebook at the moment that shows one of the police officers on the pavement, wounded after being shot at, then one of the gunmen runs up and shoots him in the head at point blank range.

No words.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Ligur posted:

Turns out that events have political consequences, fancy that. Terrorism in particular is explicitly designed to provoke a response, and in this case it's very reasonable to fear that the attack will catalyze the already startling ascension of the French far-right in the past years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

There's a video going around on Twitter of one of the gunmen shooting an injured police officer in the head as he lay on the sidewalk with his hands up. Really brutal stuff. I hope they catch these guys before they do anything else.

• Locked thread