Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ligur posted:

There are gangs in the banlieus that are heavily armed as poo poo with weaponry smuggled from Eastern Europe & Balkans. Have been for a long time.

People with connections over there should have little trouble getting full auto guns, grenades, RPG7's and such.
Yeah, strict gun laws mostly just prevent your regular unstable person/idiot from easy access to guns, not hardened/organized criminals or terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm not hoping for an intervention. Even if I thought intervention was a positive, I'm leery about whether or not France even has the military capacity to really add to the current operations. I'm just curious if the political situation and public mood makes it a possibility.

France have a significant military, about on par with the UK's. They could definitely contribute in a meaningful way.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Editor-in-chief Charb has died.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm torn, on one hand the target seems strange for it to be something that ISIS initiated, but at the same time the weapons and the fact that the assailants survived and escaped from the resulting police confrontation points to people who have some idea of what they're doing. I suppose the lower key target could have been in part to guarantee a fair amount of success compared to a more heavily guarded location?

The symbolic value of Charlie Hebdo shouldn't be underestimated. I mean obviously we have to wait to hear more information before coming to conclusions, but I wouldn't describe a publication of it's renown to be considered low key.

I'm a bit concerned at the moment as I think a couple of people I worked with now work at Charlie Hebdo. No one has really been able to get information about their condition.

Brannock posted:

Editor-in-chief Charb has died.

gently caress.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently this was the cartoon tweeted shortly before the attack,

Hopefully lowtax is protected

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So 2015 off to a great start so far, good stuff.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I didn't know this -- apparently Charb had a bounty on his head placed by Al-Qaeda a couple years ago.

quote:

Famous French cartoonists Cabu, Charb, Tignous and Wolinski all reported killed in the attack.

quote:

Richard Malka, Charlie Hebdo's lawyer, says its offices had been "under police protection since the Mohammed cartoon affair right up until today. Charb (the publishing director) was under special high-profile figure protection. The threats were constant. It is frightening."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Baudolino posted:

A happy day for Madame Le Pen.

gently caress you.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

She's a Holocaust denier/French xenophobe and I'm from a French Jewish family. I think it's okay if I worry a bit.

Her boyfriend and FN vice-president is also from a Jewish family.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drat, cabu died? This is big.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skinty McEdger posted:

The symbolic value of Charlie Hebdo shouldn't be underestimated. I mean obviously we have to wait to hear more information before coming to conclusions, but I wouldn't describe a publication of it's renown to be considered low key.

I'm a bit concerned at the moment as I think a couple of people I worked with now work at Charlie Hebdo. No one has really been able to get information about their condition.

I suppose I do have a bit of tendency to brush it off as silly cartoons, but I really shouldn't. It's just my default assumption is that ISIS would have done this to provoke some kind of international response from France, hence my question about whether or not the French government might take the bait. I guess maybe it could be about shoring up local support, or because they're not exactly the most sane group of people on the planet.

I hope the people on your mind are safe.

Saki posted:

France have a significant military, about on par with the UK's. They could definitely contribute in a meaningful way.

They have the hardware to contribute certainly, but recent actions have shown that they don't have the logistics in place to really support a sustained effort. The US would probably be carrying most of the backend of any French effort, which kind of negates the overall usefulness of the contribution. Usually this is made up for by the US getting some kind of legitimacy boost for their actions because it's seen as less unilateral, but with the bombing campaign so far along now I kind of doubt they'd get that boost if France joins in.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Cat Mattress posted:

gently caress you.

So this thread is just for posting variants of "This is tragic?" Are political implications really out of scope for D&D?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This was recently published by Charb:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Loucks posted:

So this thread is just for posting variants of "This is tragic?" Are political implications really out of scope for D&D?
There are perfectly asinine ways to make a valid point.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I watched the video of the Police Officer being executed. I wished I hadn't.

The terrorists yelled something like: "Tried to kill us, huh?" and the officer put his hands in the air saying "C'est assez, chef!" (I'd translate as: That's enough/You win, dude!) right before they cap him.

Very upsetting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brannock posted:

Irony is a cruel mistress.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Emma-Kate Symons ‏@eksymons 51s51 seconds ago
The #CharlieHebdo attackers knew very well the first names of their victims says French radio, and they sought them out deliberately.

quote:

Jacquelin Magnay ‏@jacquelinmagnay 1m1 minute ago
Journalist Marie Toucan says gunmen entered wrong offices first, mixing up number 6 and 10. Cartoonists deliberately targeted. #CharlieHebdo

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Brannock posted:

I just saw this on France24 and couldn't find it with Google image search. For those who don't speak French:
"Still no attacks in France"
"Wait! We've got until the end of January to offer our best wishes."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

What's the other office?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

3,000 police officers currently mobilized in the search for the attackers.

While some sort of ISIS-related affiliation is technically a thing that is possible, no information about the attackers' affiliation has been found, and they don't seem to have explicitly affiliated themselves with any particular Islamic group during the attack. I only mention this because there was a similar lack of group affiliation for previous attacks on French media, including Charlie Hebdo in 2011, and Libération in 2013, and the same may very well be true for this attack (although the heavily armed and clearly planned nature of the attack does indicate some degree of organization).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Brian Ries ‏@moneyries 2m2 minutes ago
#CharlieHebdo attackers spoke "perfect French" & "beautiful French," witnesses tell reporters.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"beautiful French"? Pretty sure they mean "good French".

Unless it's an expression that I don't know.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
o_O

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Possibly they meant correct/educated French. You know, without slang.

EDIT: ugh.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Unless explicitly stated, I have doubts this is an ISIS-sanctioned attack, given that ISIS seems to follow the branch of radical Islam that calls for purity within Islam before taking the fight to non-muslims.

The shitstorm that will come out of this is going to be loving ugly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Loucks posted:

Worrying about a political party getting a boost is a stupid thing to do when there are mass murderers running amok, yes.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They have the hardware to contribute certainly, but recent actions have shown that they don't have the logistics in place to really support a sustained effort.

That's because most of the logistics is already used by ongoing sustained efforts, mostly in Africa. Operation Epervier in Chad has been going on since 1986 (in 2014 it was subsumed in Operation Barkhane). Operation Sangaris in Central African Republic is winding down, but still ongoing. There's over 20 000 French soldiers deployed overseas already.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Usually this is made up for by the US getting some kind of legitimacy boost for their actions because it's seen as less unilateral, but with the bombing campaign so far along now I kind of doubt they'd get that boost if France joins in.

The point is moot because they've already joined anyway: this is Operation Chammal. The French aircraft carrier should join up the operation later this month, by the way.

Deltasquid posted:

Possibly they meant correct/educated French. You know, without slang.

EDIT: ugh.

I wish for all of these people to be hunted down and killed.

They believe it's alright to kill people for what they say, so it'd be legitimate to kill them for what they say.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 7, 2015

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cat Mattress posted:

Worrying about a political party getting a boost is a stupid thing to do when there are mass murderers running amok, yes.

No? We're far more able to discuss the likely political implications of the attack than we are able to discuss an opaque ongoing pursuit of the terrorists. Until the chase has concluded one way or another and the events have entered the public record we can't really discuss them.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
God drat. This is horrible.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

"beautiful French"? Pretty sure they mean "good French".

Unless it's an expression that I don't know.
"Il parlait un beau français." is a pretty common expression to say he spoke like a native.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They also attacked during an all-staff meeting.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Unless explicitly stated, I have doubts this is an ISIS-sanctioned attack, given that ISIS seems to follow the branch of radical Islam that calls for purity within Islam before taking the fight to non-muslims.

Don't start throwing around false flags, man.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Claims here that the gunmen claimed to be Al-Qaeda.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cat Mattress posted:

That's because most of the logistics is already used by ongoing sustained efforts, mostly in Africa. Operation Epervier in Chad has been going on since 1986 (in 2014 it was subsumed in Operation Barkhane). Operation Sangaris in Central African Republic is winding down, but still ongoing. There's over 20 000 French soldiers deployed overseas already.

That doesn't really change the fact that their resource would be stressed if they took part in a bombing campaign. Unless they re-tasked away from African operations in a way in which they haven't previously.

Cat Mattress posted:

The point is moot because they've already joined anyway: this is Operation Chammal. The French aircraft carrier should join up the operation later this month, by the way.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was thinking about actions against ISIS in Syria in particular, which this operation does not cover and which I would think is a different kettle of fish politically.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Don't start throwing around false flags, man.
It's more likely to be muslim french nationals unaffiliated with ISIS committing an attack, is what I think yf-23 means.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The attackers seem to have hijacked another vehicle after ditching their own at the northern edge of the city.

EDIT: Adding image.

I worry about anti-Islamic fools amongst the French public much more than I do any French political party's reaction to today's events. Today was coincidentally the release date for Michel Houellebecq's book Submission, which portrays a world where an Islamic political party has taken over France in 2022 after running against the Front Nationale. I have absolute faith that the publishers already spinning up the presses for another printing.

Charlie Hebdo's most recent cover was actually a caricature of none other than Houellebecq:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 7, 2015

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

It's more likely to be muslim french nationals unaffiliated with ISIS committing an attack, is what I think yf-23 means.

This. Then again, the actual allegiance of the gunmen isn't going to matter in the slightest when it comes to how this will shake out.

Cat Mattress posted:

I wish for all of these people to be hunted down and killed.

They believe it's alright to kill people for what they say, so it'd be legitimate to kill them for what they say.

So in other words, you're saying that it'd be legit to hunt down and kill you? A bit of an odd sentiment, that.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, strict Marijuana laws mostly just prevent your regular unstable person/idiot from easy access to Marijuana, not hardened/organized criminals or terrorists.

:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing the French foreign legion whip the poo poo out of ISIS.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

YF-23 posted:

Is this based on any facts or just your "gut" feeling?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My bet is it's home grown guys from the banlieus if they spoke really good French.

Also.

How the gently caress there was no security?!

edit:
nevermind

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 7, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cerebral Bore posted:

So in other words, you're saying that it'd be legit to hunt down and kill you? A bit of an odd sentiment, that.

No, I just want people to be treated according to their own standards. Like Saint-Just, I say "no freedom to enemies of freedom".

Ligur posted:

How the gently caress there was no security?

There was security, they killed security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another witness claims the gunmen told him to tell the media they were Al-Qaeda in Yemen.

• Locked thread