Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014
For example: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/11/anti-muslim-hate-crimes-are-still-five-times-more-common-today-than-before-911/

http://www.pewforum.org/2003/09/10/poll-two-years-after-911-growing-number-of-americans-link-islam-to-violence/

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2013/2013-3.pdf

Current islamaophobia is unambiguously driven by terrorist attacks, it's not even a question for debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

tsa posted:

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2013/2013-3.pdf

Current islamaophobia is unambiguously driven by terrorist attacks, it's not even a question for debate.

quote:

Careful study of survey data yields a surprising finding: animosity toward Islam since 9/11 has not been driven primarily by fear of terrorism. In fact, despite feeling Anti - Islamic Sentiment and Media Framing Journal of Religion & Society 2 15 (2013) threatened by Islamic fundamentalism immediately after 9/11 , the public actually then expressed more favorable se ntiment toward Islam and Muslim - Americans than at any time before or since. A similar spike in favorable feeling toward Muslim - Americans follow ed London’s 7/7 bombings on July 7, 2005 . Despite their fear, most Americans responded to these attacks not with prejudice, but rather with sympathy for innocent Muslims defamed by the actions of extremists and targeted by retaliatory hate crimes . Similarly , it was only after Americans’ fear of terrorism subsided that they began to reassess Islam in a more negative way . If anything, fear seems inversely related to prejudice in this case . This runs directly counter to the predictions of Terror Management Theory and the experimental findings that support that theory (Das, Bushman, Bezemer, Kerkhof, and Vermeulen) . What explains this counterintuitive outcome?

The answer seems to lie primarily in media framing. Media coverage of Muslim Americans in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 focused heavily on critiquing stereotypes and documenting violations of Muslims’ civil liberties. Aware that fear can lead to prejudice, the shapers of American public opinion self - consciously and successfully sought to counteract that tendency. Opinion - makers relaxed this impulse after the immediate sense of threat subsided, especially in right - leaning media outlets. A gradual increase of animosity toward Islam during the period from 2002 to 2010 coincided with a growth of partisan difference in assessments of the faith. In examining the drivers of shifting attitudes over the course of the following decade, we observe an apparent interactive effect between the news cycle, partisan affiliation, and lack of first - hand knowledge of the faith. This is likely because 1) Democrats and Republicans tend to patronize partisan media outlets, 2) right- and left- leaning media outlets used increasingly divergent frames to represent Islam over the course of the decade, and 3) those with the least personal knowledge of the faith are the most susceptible to these competing media representations.

Importantly, this gradual rise in animosity toward Islam has occurred despite a general increase of knowledge about Islam during the same period, which tends to foster modestly more favorable attitudes . This is because the gains due to education have been more than offset by a negative shift in the attitudes of those who say they know little about the faith . Largely neutral toward Islam in 2003 , the uninformed were overwhelmingly unfavorable toward it by 2006. This suggests that media framing is extremely influential – more so , in some ways, than education – so opinion - makers should carefully weigh the social consequences of their representations. Contrary to the old adage, words can be far more damaging than sticks and stones when broadcast to millions of Americans through television, radio , or the Internet.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disinterested posted:

Someone better equipped than me will have to weigh in, but as I understand it PD or pede is a fairly informal idiomatic way of saying gay in French, and doesn't carry a connotation of meaning pederast now at all, but it is still a bit like 'queer' or another word in English that can be used both aggressively and jokingly and be offensive or not depending on the context of its use. Moreover, as I understand it, that word is drifting towards being more and not less acceptable in colloquial conversation. I believe homosexuel or pederaste is quite an arch and formal way of writing, but French people also say 'gay' and have other softer terms.

Here I think it's pretty evident he is speaking as if he was impersonating a person who doesn't like jews or gay people, so it is being used in its more offensive mode.

It's for a French person to tell me if this is regarded as an offensive way of writing though.

It's also worth pointing out that CH is strongly historically associated with the sexual revolution and with campaigning in support of gay marriage so I doubt people would take it amiss.

Basically this. If I insulted the average frenchman of being a "pederastre", he would just not understand. "Pédé" is now entirely disconnected from its etymological root (it would still be extremely homophobic and I strongly recommend not to use that word, unless you can be sure it's not gonna demean someone, like if you're protesting with french speaking homosexuals and are attempting to reclaim the word or some other context of the sort). Also "tantouze" is so much better anyway. (don't use that one either)

Anyway, you're right, and the word is only used in this context to show the inherent homophobia of a statement like "we should make a list of all the faggots in the media" and linkening it to the inherent xenophobia of the idea of making a list of the foreigners involved in crime.

If you guys have any question about french as a language, french culture or anything else french related, I will be delighted to attempt to answer it, because context is usually important.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yeah, so pretty accurate, in other words. It's the same reason why a lot of news organizations bring Anjem Choudary around to represent Muslims.

Anjem Choudary's platform is broadly representative of the beliefs of a majority of non-western muslims and a strong plurality of western muslims in certain countries. Why shouldn't he be brought up by news organizations?

Representatives of Christian theocratic belief systems are regularly brought onto interviews and used to provide an example of the beliefs of hyperconservative Christians. Is that uniquely unfair to Christians? And if not, why is bringing Anjem Choudary on unfair? The political beliefs of the majority of Muslims in Europe and the Arab world really are as terrible as Choudary's - trying to conceal that through de-facto censorship is a form of infantilizing orientalism.

And incidentally, the fact that Anjem Choudary isn't in jail despite brazenly advocating terrorism and the forcible conversion of all non-muslims is a pretty powerful counter-argument to the notion that Muslim religious leaders are unfairly targeted and persecuted by western legal systems.

Liberal_L33t fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 5, 2015

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I like the new thread title. It might prevent people from wandering into the thread and getting depressed when it's not on purpose.

In keeping with the “assassin's veto” arm of this horrible, horrible thread, there are two recent unwelcome developments.

While the thread was closed, an “atheist” blogger was hacked to death in the streets of Bangladesh. No, not that guy, a different one. No, not that guy either.

The CNN headline was “Yet Another Bangladeshi Blogger Hacked to Death” to make it less confusing.

That's three since February, and nine in the last two years. The bloggers are on a list of 84 names.

The dead ones: Jafar Munshi, Rajeeb Haider, Arif Hossain Dwip, Ziauddin Zakaria Babu, Mamun Hossain, Jagatjyoti Talukder, Avijit Roy, Washiqur Rahman, Ananta Bijoy Das.

“Atheist blogger” is probably not an accurate general description. They're secularists, some of them Muslims.

And they weren't drawing cartoons. It was just words.

And, of course, last week, Boston cops killed that guy they'd been tracking. He'd wanted to behead Pamela Geller but decided that would be too hard, so he'd kill a few cops instead because he was in a hurry. Knife, guns, video – I'm sure you know the rest of this one.

So daesh assassins, however incompetent, continue to stalk Geller while she makes hay of it.

No winners here. This is an alien v. predator situation.

bitey fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 6, 2015

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's in places like bangladesh where you can seriously be concerned about Islamism gaining currency. You've got wonder what could seriously reverse it - ever since the rear end fell out of far-leftist/communists groups world wide, the only real opposition to the west in these countries is going to come from far right groups, which are more tolerated because they're not as threatening to business interests. Unless there's a real resurgence there, it's going to get worse and worse. You may end up with some kind of holocaust-equivalent event (like repeats of the Indonesia killings in the 60s - remember what I said about fascists not having many reservations about murder, and how suppressing them was a matter of self-defense? That's what I had in mind).

rudatron fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 6, 2015

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

rudatron posted:

It's in places like bangladesh where you can seriously be concerned about Islamism gaining currency. You've got wonder what could seriously reverse it - ever since the rear end fell out of far-leftist/communists groups world wide, the only real opposition to the west in these countries is going to come from far right groups, which are more tolerated because they're not as threatening to business interests. Unless there's a real resurgence there, it's going to get worse and worse. You may end up with some kind of holocaust-equivalent event (like repeats of the Indonesia killings in the 60s - remember what I said about fascists not having many reservations about murder, and how suppressing them was a matter of self-defense? That's what I had in mind).

Yes, when I'm not depressed enough about this thread I'll go watch Jagal again.

Hey, here's a cartoon! Without proper context! And with a lovely translation (mine, somebody please fix).

Refugees should remember their childhoods so they would one day demand asylum in France, and of course learn French.

“Hey, this kid has what it takes to become a refugee. Let's register him in French class.”

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Uh, sorry. Here's that cartoon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

bitey posted:

(mine, somebody please fix).

Caption: "Any refugee worth their salt should have planned since childhood that they would one day seek asylum in France and, therefore, should have learned French."
Speech bubble: "Darling, this child has everything it takes to become an asylum seeker, we should register him in French class."

This is a bad cartoon because it says it's the responsibility of the child, and yet it's the mother who takes the decision.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I apologize if any of this is too obvious to mention, but I'm making certain assumptions and I need a reality check.

I now clump all political Islam groups (AQ, ISIL, Egyptian Islamic Jihad et al) under the moniker daesh. I also consider “lone wolf” operators inspired by daesh as “daesh.”

This does not include ethnic Muslims (who may choose what they believe) or all practicing Muslims (most of them “church folk”). I am only concerned with daesh – the ones claiming territory, the ones circulating hit lists.

I consider the global targeted killings of freethinkers as the P.R. wing of daesh. These activities win recruits, and they also distract everybody from the real business of daesh – gaining territory in the Arabian peninsula and elsewhere.

In fact, it almost looks like concern trolling to point out that the Hebdo killings were not the worst thing perpetrated by daesh that month, that week, or maybe even that day. Whatever one thinks about Charlie Hebdo, there are a lot of other daesh victims who definitely were not “asking for it.”

One does not need to “compare” the Hebdo killings with massacres of entire villages. They're the activities of the same group, conducted toward the same ends. Only the tactics are different.

I am not “afraid” of being attacked personally by daesh, nor do I particularly fear terrorist attacks taking place in my general area. I'm pretty comfortable.

I do, however, despair for the state of the world in which daesh can advance its ends while some of us debate the relative culpability of daesh's victims because of rude cartoons.

The glib hypothetical example of Geller hillbillies invading the homes of Muslims and executing them was especially galling. Who really invades the homes of unarmed Muslims and shoots them in the backs of their heads? Daesh does. These are real victims, not pretend victims. And there are a shitload of them.

If I'm wrong about any of this please let me know. Otherwise I'll carry on as usual.

bitey fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 6, 2015

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Cat Mattress posted:

Caption: "Any refugee worth their salt should have planned since childhood that they would one day seek asylum in France and, therefore, should have learned French."
Speech bubble: "Darling, this child has everything it takes to become an asylum seeker, we should register him in French class."

This is a bad cartoon because it says it's the responsibility of the child, and yet it's the mother who takes the decision.

Thanks for the proper translation.

I'm sure the essay surrounding that cartoon invites contrasting the caption and the voice-bubble in a more subtle way. My French is terrible, but I can OCR and Google Translate the essay, just to make the whole mess even more incomprehensible.

edit: Also, I guess part of the joke is that the refugee kid can be a proper French citizen because he drew Mohammad?

bitey fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 6, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

YOu know I like you Cat Mattress, but WTF are you talking about?

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I don't think any of us gets the cartoon yet because of insufficient context, and that's my fault. I should have posted the whole page (not that that would have helped).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Just being a bit silly. I guess I should have put a :v: smiley there.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

bitey posted:

I don't think any of us gets the cartoon yet because of insufficient context, and that's my fault. I should have posted the whole page (not that that would have helped).

I get it. Because I'm infused with the Superpower of frenchness.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I get it. Because I'm infused with the Superpower of frenchness.

I thought I'd try to learn to read French because of Flaubert or Proust; but no, it's some stupid loving cartoon magazine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bitey posted:

I do, however, despair for the state of the world in which daesh can advance its ends while some of us debate the relative culpability of daesh's victims because of rude cartoons.

This is like despairing for the state of a world where some of us debate the rights of otherkin. This is just stupid internet world debates, and you really shouldn't be defining any of your worldview on it. Every Arab Muslim I've talked to about caricatures of Mohammed has said it's ungentlemanly thing to do and they wished people wouldn't do it, but they also weren't letting on like they were prepared to make 10,000 posts arguing about it, specifically because there's so much other poo poo going on in the Muslim world. And wiping everything under the brush of daesh is a pretty inaccurate way to look at it, because the growth of militant takfiri ideology started before ISIS was created, and it'll be around long after they are gone, so it's not like their propaganda is the primary driver making all of this happen.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

Anjem Choudary's platform is broadly representative of the beliefs of a majority of non-western muslims and a strong plurality of western muslims in certain countries. Why shouldn't he be brought up by news organizations?

Representatives of Christian theocratic belief systems are regularly brought onto interviews and used to provide an example of the beliefs of hyperconservative Christians. Is that uniquely unfair to Christians? And if not, why is bringing Anjem Choudary on unfair? The political beliefs of the majority of Muslims in Europe and the Arab world really are as terrible as Choudary's - trying to conceal that through de-facto censorship is a form of infantilizing orientalism.

And incidentally, the fact that Anjem Choudary isn't in jail despite brazenly advocating terrorism and the forcible conversion of all non-muslims is a pretty powerful counter-argument to the notion that Muslim religious leaders are unfairly targeted and persecuted by western legal systems.

Gosh maybe all those other Muslims Choudary is representative of should be in jail too. Maybe there's no time to set up trials for all those scary people! Quick, erect a...camp of some kind, to...keep them all in one place!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

Gosh maybe all those other Muslims Choudary is representative of should be in jail too. Maybe there's no time to set up trials for all those scary people! Quick, erect a...camp of some kind, to...keep them all in one place!

It's really ironic that someone with an av like yours would be accusing other people of bigotry or racism.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

bitey posted:

Daesh has executed approximately 10,000 unarmed Muslims, so far.

Don't worry they're still not close to catching us

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

bitey posted:

And, of course, last week, Boston cops killed that guy they'd been tracking. He'd wanted to behead Pamela Geller but decided that would be too hard, so he'd kill a few cops instead because he was in a hurry. Knife, guns, video – I'm sure you know the rest of this one.

Why do you take at face value the unsubstantiated claims of police after they just killed a guy?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

boom boom boom posted:

It's really ironic that someone with an av like yours would be accusing other people of bigotry or racism.

Not all people buy their own avs :ssh:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Disinterested posted:

I suspect he did buy that particular one though. After some previous history involving cross-cultural exchange of insults.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Disinterested posted:

That sounds like context. And like SedanChair has repeatedly emphasized, context doesn't matter when it comes to using racist imagery.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That sounds like context. And like SedanChair has repeatedly emphasized, context doesn't matter when it comes to using racist imagery.

Context never matters, except when I am the accused.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a racist image no matter if he bought it, somebody else bought it for him, or somebody gave it to him for free with mod powers. I don't see how that contradicts his position that racist imagery is racist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

captainblastum posted:

It's a racist image no matter if he bought it, somebody else bought it for him, or somebody gave it to him for free with mod powers. I don't see how that contradicts his position that racist imagery is racist.

Well, in this case the context is that somebody else bought this for him in order to humiliate him through racist bullshit. So whoever did that was racist, and I don't think SedanChair is racist because of having a racist avatar.

In the case of Charlie Hebdo, they repeatedly use racist imagery to bring into focus racism in French society. So I don't think they're racists just because they are using racist imagery.

A Wyatt Mann used racist imagery to embody and promote racist stereotypes against various non-whites (and probably women? I didn't really dig into his work). Minute, which originally said that Justice Minister Taubira "had found her banana", was also using that stereotype to attack Taubira as a black woman. These are both clearly racist.

Context matters. :shrug:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, in this case the context is that somebody else bought this for him in order to humiliate him through racist bullshit. So whoever did that was racist, and I don't think SedanChair is racist because of having a racist avatar.

In the case of Charlie Hebdo, they repeatedly use racist imagery to bring into focus racism in French society. So I don't think they're racists just because they are using racist imagery.

A Wyatt Mann used racist imagery to embody and promote racist stereotypes against various non-whites (and probably women? I didn't really dig into his work). Minute, which originally said that Justice Minister Taubira "had found her banana", was also using that stereotype to attack Taubira as a black woman. These are both clearly racist.

Context matters. :shrug:

This thread is basically a bunch of people freaking out over the presence of dangerous animals in a zoo.

The dangerous animals is racist cartoons, the zoo is Hebdo proudly putting other people's terrible opinions on display for the world to see.

Putting the cartoons out of context and calling cry of racism is like freaking out about all the dangerous animals and ignoring the cages, feeding schedules, zookeeping staff, and informative plaques that they set up to make sure nobody gets killed or eaten and understands more about the animals.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Dewgy posted:

This thread is basically a bunch of people freaking out over the presence of dangerous animals in a zoo.

The dangerous animals is racist cartoons, the zoo is Hebdo proudly putting other people's terrible opinions on display for the world to see.

Putting the cartoons out of context and calling cry of racism is like freaking out about all the dangerous animals and ignoring the cages, feeding schedules, zookeeping staff, and informative plaques that they set up to make sure nobody gets killed or eaten and understands more about the animals.

I'm keeping this for reference. Don't worry I'll mention you in the credits.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dewgy posted:

This is an excellent analogy. However, it is missing a passage about the visitors being dumber than the average chimp.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

blowfish posted:

This is an excellent analogy. However, it is missing a passage about the visitors being dumber than the average chimp.

They're not visitors though. They don't need to go to the zoo to know that the cages don't actually work.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

And just like a zoo, there needs to be a good reason behind the questionable actions. The overwhelming majority of zoos in the world are bad, because the overwhelming majority of zoos in the world are horrible little roadside menageries with little to no oversight or regulation that exist only to exploit exotic animals for profit.

The context of the cartoons doesn't change whether or not the imagery itself is racist, but it does help determine if the intent of the artist is racist (I don't think that Charb's intent was racist at all). To go back to your analogy, the happiest lion in a zoo with the best care in the world, a condition of some sort that means certain death in the wild, that has inspired and educated a generation of children to be stewards of the natural world is still a very, very, dangerous animal.

I think that we're sort of saying two different things. The position that I'm trying to explain is that some of the imagery used is inherently racist, and I'm saying that because a position that I've seen advocated over and over in this thread is that none of the problematic imagery is in any way racist because it was not intended to be, and that's what I disagree with.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

captainblastum posted:

And just like a zoo, there needs to be a good reason behind the questionable actions. The overwhelming majority of zoos in the world are bad, because the overwhelming majority of zoos in the world are horrible little roadside menageries with little to no oversight or regulation that exist only to exploit exotic animals for profit.

The context of the cartoons doesn't change whether or not the imagery itself is racist, but it does help determine if the intent of the artist is racist (I don't think that Charb's intent was racist at all). To go back to your analogy, the happiest lion in a zoo with the best care in the world, a condition of some sort that means certain death in the wild, that has inspired and educated a generation of children to be stewards of the natural world is still a very, very, dangerous animal.

I think that we're sort of saying two different things. The position that I'm trying to explain is that some of the imagery used is inherently racist, and I'm saying that because a position that I've seen advocated over and over in this thread is that none of the problematic imagery is in any way racist because it was not intended to be, and that's what I disagree with.

What I'm getting out of this is you can't read a metaphor for poo poo. :stare:

This has nothing to do with actual zoo management, it's a light analogy. People are freaking out over racism being displayed in a place where it is meant to be put on display and discussed in depth. That is my point.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
AA, is A Wyatt Mann not actually racist in context?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Ed: Never mind.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 6, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I actually bought this avatar for myself because people kept buying avatars for me that were more racist, but less funny.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dewgy posted:

I'm not sure if this was the best analogy. Re:

blowfish posted:

---

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

AA, is A Wyatt Mann not actually racist in context?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

---

SedanChair posted:

I actually bought this avatar for myself because people kept buying avatars for me that were more racist, but less funny.

Oh, word?

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 6, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your characterization of his work is wrong

His intent was to piss off conformists

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

I hope you get murdered by a proud freedom fighter for your crimes of fighting a societal problem with its own caricature.

E: gently caress you, SedanChair, you god drat hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Your characterization of his work is wrong

His intent was to piss off conformists

I can't really call his cartoons "not racist" knowing that but at least it's some sort of pre-WWW ironic humor form of racism. Makes me feel a little bit better about existence.

Which is immediately then negated by other people copying it and using it without a trace of irony. :smith:

• Locked thread