Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, strict gun laws mostly just prevent your regular unstable person/idiot from easy access to guns, not hardened/organized criminals or terrorists.

Are you saying gun laws only affect law abiding citizens? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ligur posted:

My bet is it's home grown guys from the banlieus if they spoke really good French.

Also.

How the gently caress there was no security?!

edit:
nevermind

There was, and they were killed first.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

Are you saying gun laws only affect law abiding citizens? :psyduck:

And petty criminals.

Organized crime can always smuggle stuff.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ligur posted:

How the gently caress there was no security?

There were police officers stationed outside the Charlie Hebdo offices; they were both killed.

Ex-police chief (and no doubt everyone else, shortly) is now claiming there wasn't enough security, which is just the usual circular logic.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hogge Wild posted:

There was, and they were killed first.

There's even a video showing them executing a police officer that attempted to get away.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Reuters reports that the headquarters of RPT media group Prisa in Madrid have been evacuated after a “suspicious package” was received. Prisa owns El Pais, among other things.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

There was security, they killed security.

Oh. Ok. :(

In Middle-East security probably has assault rifles and kevlar. I wouldn't be surprised if in the strict gun law France they might have carried just pistols...

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
-Ah, snipped. This can only end badly.-

Take it with a pinch of salt but this is being shared on other forums.

EDIT: keep in mind it's just an image of two guys with creepy smiles in a car.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 7, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Deltasquid posted:

http://i.imgur.com/11qnNx6.png

The interior of that car looks a lot older than the exterior of the one in the videos.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What France needs is stricter hate speech laws. If those cartoonists weren't allowed to insult Islam this would never have happened.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ligur posted:

Oh. Ok. :(

In Middle-East security probably has assault rifles and kevlar. I wouldn't be surprised if in the strict gun law France they might have carried just pistols...

I think that they were cops.

Deltasquid posted:

http://i.imgur.com/11qnNx6.png

So, they were goons. Fess up!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Deltasquid posted:

We all know how well that went the last time the internet tried to do their own "investigation to identify the perpetrators" (Boston bombing).

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 7, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

What France needs is stricter hate speech laws. If those cartoonists weren't allowed to insult Islam this would never have happened.

Some leftist intellectuals from various countries are espousing this exact view on Twitter. Very disappointing.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pissflaps posted:

The interior of that car looks a lot older than the exterior of the one in the videos.

They stole a second car though, who knows what they're driving right now?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Deltasquid posted:

Oh yes so they did sorry.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
This is just loving terrible. I hope they catch the perpetrators.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Deltasquid posted:

Stop trying to imply some random photo of whoever the gently caress, is not really, but is possibly, the gunmen. This is the kind of poo poo that gets innocent people hurt or slandered.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Mayor of Paris just referred to three attackers in a press conference, but that might have been a mistake instead of an actual update.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Brannock posted:

I didn't know this -- apparently Charb had a bounty on his head placed by Al-Qaeda a couple years ago.

Really sad to hear about this. Not sure what else can be said.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

There's no evidence based on that Twitter account that the account-holder has any connection to the Charlie Hebdo attacks beyond their glee at the attacks themselves. "Other forums" need to eat salt.

Agrajag posted:

Stop trying to imply some random photo of whoever the gently caress, is not really, but possibly the gunmen. This is the kind of poo poo that gets innocent people hurt or slandered.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Deltasquid posted:

-Ah, snipped. This can only end badly.-

It's a still from a old video, a version of it's here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizFbzjAXIU&t=79s

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brown Moses posted:

Another witness claims the gunmen told him to tell the media they were Al-Qaeda in Yemen.

Yemen? What did we ever do to Yemen.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Watching the video of them casually executing the cop while running by there is no way this is some self radicalized thing. They look like military.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ascii genitals posted:

Watching the video of them casually executing the cop while running by there is no way this is some self radicalized thing. They look like military.

Just looking at the way the one guy walks away with the rifle slung across his chest makes him look professional or at the very least trained.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Brown Moses posted:

Good to know, I was trying to figure out where it was from. Nevermind my dumb post then.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Meanwhile Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that originally published the inflammatory Prophet Mohammed cartoons in 2005, has reportedly stepped up its security.

"Surveillance and the level of security in and around our headquarters in Copenhagen and in (the west Danish city of) Viby has been increased," an internal Jyllands-Posten email said, according to Danish paper Berlingske.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, if it's like all the previous terrorist attacks, probably 90% of the "facts" posted on twitter and 50% of the ones in the press/on tv during the next 24 hours are going to turn out to be bullshit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Brannock posted:

Some leftist intellectuals from various countries are espousing this exact view on Twitter. Very disappointing.

I posted that with a smirk of irony, now I'm sad.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

rudatron posted:

It's more likely to be muslim french nationals unaffiliated with ISIS committing an attack, is what I think yf-23 means.

This is what I meant.

Agrajag posted:

Is this based on any facts or just your "gut" feeling?

It is my non-professional assessment based on (individual) ISIS jihadis subscribing to that form of radical islamism by their own account. Given that it sounds like al-Qaeda is behind it I'd say it was accurate enough.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Total Meatlove posted:

The Mayor of Paris just referred to three attackers in a press conference, but that might have been a mistake instead of an actual update.

This has just flashed up as confirmed, so it's 3 gunmen that are now on the loose.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, if it's like all the previous terrorist attacks, probably 90% of the "facts" posted on twitter and 50% of the ones in the press/on tv during the next 24 hours are going to turn out to be bullshit.

Yeah, there is the claim being thrown around that the attackers had an RPG. The supposed source of the claim is from the AFP offices next door, but still, hard to take seriously until there's more than hearsay.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kurtofan posted:

It's very complicated but that country didn't turn into a total shithole entirely on its own.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ascii genitals posted:

You do know that Islam is a heavily militarized religion, right? They have military style training camps all over the place (in Europe!). It's not too far out to say they were trained in France (didn't one report say they spoke French with no foreign accent?).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

spacetoaster posted:

You do know that Islam is a heavily militarized religion, right? They have military style training camps all over the place (in Europe!). It's not too far out to say they were trained in France (didn't one report say they spoke French with no foreign accent?).

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

All I'm saying is this is clearly different than what happened in Australia. I'd be willing to bet these people are from France but were trained elsewhere.

Starting your comment with smug talking down isn't necessary.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

And petty criminals.

Organized crime can always smuggle stuff.
Yeah, seriously, I don't get how it's controversial to say that people with a real desire to get their hands on heavy firepower are going to be able to do that, even if there are strict laws against the ownership of for example hand guns.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Stuff, and things. Thanks for asking.

According to news reports there are jihadist training camps in Belgium. Isn't that near France?

*edit The camps are supposedly in the ardennes which they say leads right into France.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 7, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ascii genitals posted:

All I'm saying is this is clearly different than what happened in Australia. I'd be willing to bet these people are from France but were trained elsewhere.

Starting your comment with smug talking down isn't necessary.

It's evidently clearly different unless Kalishnikov's and rocket launchers are easily obtainable in France as opposed to a farmers shotgun.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Incidentally, there was a pretty big suicide bombing in Yemen today, killing more than 30 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

spacetoaster posted:

Stuff, and things. Thanks for asking.

According to news reports there are jihadist training camps in Belgium. Isn't that near France?

Is Belgium near France? Hum, that's a tough one.

• Locked thread