Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

The irony in decrying bigotry while lumping homosexuals with pedophiles matches the irony in decrying racism with racist caricatures of black people pretty well I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Disinterested posted:

You really are a moron huh

ed: do you think Charb really wanted stats about the number of Jews in the media as well? Be serious.

Why am I a moron?

As for your question, 'no.'

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Because I'm fairly certain Charb did not lump pedophiles and homosexuals together, and that even if he did it would not be ironic.

Is there literally no other word or phrase for homosexuals in French?

My point was to comment on the parallels between the inherent gratuitous intolerance in the language used in that quote and the inherent intolerance in the imagery used in several cartoons (not Charb's cartoons alone, and not all cartoons by him or anybody else). The most common argument I've seen in this thread for why the usage of that imagery is not racist has been 'that's how things are done in French satire.' That feels like a much harder argument to make when the language uses pederast as the word for homosexual - just because it's 'the way it's done in France' doesn't excuse hatefulness of the expression. I'm not trying to make a tone argument here either, I used gratuitous earlier very specifically. When replacing the hateful words or imagery with something else that isn't as hurtful to the people you're trying to defend does not devalue or change the message, it is the more moral choice.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Someone better equipped than me will have to weigh in, but as I understand it PD or pede is a fairly informal idiomatic way of saying gay in French, and doesn't carry a connotation of meaning pederast now at all, but it is still a bit like 'queer' or another word in English that can be used both aggressively and jokingly and be offensive or not depending on the context of its use. Moreover, as I understand it, that word is drifting towards being more and not less acceptable in colloquial conversation. I believe homosexuel or pederaste is quite an arch and formal way of writing, but French people also say 'gay' and have other softer terms.

Here I think it's pretty evident he is speaking as if he was impersonating a person who doesn't like jews or gay people, so it is being used in its more offensive mode.

It's for a French person to tell me if this is regarded as an offensive way of writing though.

It's also worth pointing out that CH is strongly historically associated with the sexual revolution and with campaigning in support of gay marriage so I doubt people would take it amiss.

That doesn't work me, but I can understand that line of thought - thank you for providing another context.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That sounds like context. And like SedanChair has repeatedly emphasized, context doesn't matter when it comes to using racist imagery.

It's a racist image no matter if he bought it, somebody else bought it for him, or somebody gave it to him for free with mod powers. I don't see how that contradicts his position that racist imagery is racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

And just like a zoo, there needs to be a good reason behind the questionable actions. The overwhelming majority of zoos in the world are bad, because the overwhelming majority of zoos in the world are horrible little roadside menageries with little to no oversight or regulation that exist only to exploit exotic animals for profit.

The context of the cartoons doesn't change whether or not the imagery itself is racist, but it does help determine if the intent of the artist is racist (I don't think that Charb's intent was racist at all). To go back to your analogy, the happiest lion in a zoo with the best care in the world, a condition of some sort that means certain death in the wild, that has inspired and educated a generation of children to be stewards of the natural world is still a very, very, dangerous animal.

I think that we're sort of saying two different things. The position that I'm trying to explain is that some of the imagery used is inherently racist, and I'm saying that because a position that I've seen advocated over and over in this thread is that none of the problematic imagery is in any way racist because it was not intended to be, and that's what I disagree with.

• Locked thread