Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Patlabor owns. Griffon owns. First time I thought, "I actually want a plastic toy of that robot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Iserlohn posted:

While the characters are definitely the stars of Patlabor, the mech designs are just gorgeous and nothing today really matches their combined sleekness and functionality. Rewatching Gundam 0080 over the holidays really made me miss Patlabor's style. Griffon absolutely owns, and the entire arc it had both in the TV series and the second OVA were my favorite. Izubuchi's designs and the animators somehow made the robots look even cooler beat up than normal and they weren't afraid to have fighting delve down to crude fisticuffs and reverse backdrops on multiple occasions. Really wish Izubuchi still had ties with Gundam or worked on other projects.

Definitely. It always felt like the robots had proper weight and dynamism that made watching any kind of interaction super fun (anything by Ohta in particular). Plus it means whenever the Griffon or Type 0 are around, they are genuinely scary because of their agility and ability to wreck poo poo, instead of gimmicks. gently caress, guess I should rewatch the whole thing soon again.

How's Mini Pato, actually? I think it's the only thing I never saw.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 10, 2015

• Locked thread