Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Patlabor is the raddest mecha franchise. Hands down.

But to actually get discussion kicked off:

The Movie 1 or The Movie 2?

Endorph posted:

this show looks cool but there's so many variations and spinoffs that i dont know what to watch

It's pretty easy to break down the continuities. The original OVA and the three movies comprise their own continuity and the TV series and the second OVA (sometimes referred to as the P-Series or the New Files) is its own separate continuity. But the characters and setting are all mostly the same, so outside of their respective "origin story" episodes, the franchise as a whole is pretty consistent. You won't be lost watching the movies if you've only seen the TV series, for example.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
For a while I would have said 1 over 2, but as time went on and kept rewatching them, I'd have to give the edge to 2 myself. It's a better standalone film. But part of the reason I love the franchise so much is because I love the whole cast of Division 2, which is why 1 held the edge for me for the longest time. Movie 2 is definitely a Gotoh movie first and foremost.

Both films are masterpieces in my opinion, though.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Nuebot posted:

The last few minutes of Patlabor 2 was one of the earlier mech anime I've seen and I think I can blame that for my love of giant robots even though I haven't since watched any of the Patlabor things. I do like the designs though.

Yutaka Izubuchi is one of my all-time favorite mecha designers. Not only are his Patlabor designs great, the stuff he did for Gundam is some of the best in the franchise.

You should really give the rest of the series a shot, though. Like everyone's been saying, go ahead and start with the original OVA's and the movies. The TV series is way more goofy and lighthearted than the films (though only marginally more goofy than the OVA), but it has its own charms as well. I personally love the TV series, but I also remember it being one of the less popular simul watches years back. Though that may have had a lot to do from a combination of scheduling and the fact it was paired with another 50 episode mecha series.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Mini Pato is just a collection of goofy shorts that go over different aspects of the franchise from technical details about giant robot gun calibers to how SV2 feeds itself. They're fun, and you can kill them in like thirty minutes.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

AzraelNewtype posted:

This imgur gallery is an example of the true sage wisdom of this series and in particular Captain Gotou.

For all the hay the press makes about SV2 being a bunch of fuckups, this is honestly kind of a utopian view of police work.

This is from my all time favorite episode, by the way. After this Gotoh holds a team building exercise at a bar, where Noa and Kanuka square off in a drinking contest.

Looking it up, I'm not surprised it was an Oshii episode.

• Locked thread