Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I dont watch much anime, but KlK is p tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
K-on! is my personal anime jesus

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Kill la Kill had a good knack for visual comedy and some really entertaining side characters but in hindsight it wasn't that good.

a kitten posted:

The things that were funny were good. The plot poo poo was stupid.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the series.

quote:

Mako and Ryuko are a cute couple:3:

Gamagoori and Mako are much cuter though :colbert:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

got some new ink today

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

glomkettle posted:

Gamagoori and Mako are much cuter though :colbert:

Except they aren't, ryuukoxmako otp.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Simoom posted:

K-ON saved anime

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

got some new ink today

May the spirit of Ryuko Matoi protect you always.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I thought Ryuko had a pretty awesome voice so I didn't mind listening to her talk. That said, the rest of her character sucked except for her shirt, who was cool and I liked him.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The jacket she wore in the first episode was pretty cool.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namtab posted:

K-ON saved anime

k-on saved the world

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dont remember this, OP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have AIDS and view any and all close relationships between women as romantic in nature.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I gave this a try after Little Witch Academia. It's ok.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
i did not watch kill la kill but my friends have gotten irl mad at each other for having opinions on it and those arguments were funny, so thanks trigger.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

get new friends

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I enjoyed it. Rape scenes were weird, they were probs made for the creepiest subset of fanboys.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the rape fanboy....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

the rape fanboy....
excuse you, he has a name

ikuhara

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I watched the first half but the second half got so dull that I just wasn't compelled to watch any more.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I never watched the OVA, did it have Ryuko and her best friend turn out to be bisexual in the last 2 minutes of the entire series like The Legend of Korra did

Man (E: I'm glad) I dropped that show after the second season. It was poo poo.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 9, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

Man (E: I'm glad) I dropped that show after the second season. It was poo poo.

The ending aside, season 3/4 were really good from an animation and story standpoint. Seasons 1 and 2 were mostly hot garbage and the threads in TVIV were polluted by way too many people desperate to argue their shipping pairs and crazy fan theories and got extremely aggressive about it when anyone said chill the gently caress out.

You can skip season 1/2 and just watch season 3/4 and not be missing anything, except the 2 part Avatar Wan in season 2 that was insanely good. There's also a clip show in season 4 you can skip because Nick slashed their budget when the team was 2/3 of the way into production.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Season 1 was good, 2 was pretty awful though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zzulu posted:

I did watch this show because goons told me it was gonna be DA BOMB

It was not very good at all. It had like, a few scenes with good energy and the rest was garbage
This except I dropped it early on

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
KLK was okay. I realized how stupid it was when Ryuko rode a motorcycle with a giant front that made it look like an erect penis butt naked across the country.

Probably it dumb before that but that moment made me realize how stupid it was specifically and I will never forget it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Actually thats dishonest, I gave it a shot because I liked Gurren Lagann, not because of goon hype

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The first half or so of season 1 of Korra was the only time I was ever at all interested in the plot and what was going on

At any other point in time if you had asked me about the plot I'd have replied "it's loving stupid as hell"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

Kill la Kill was good enough that I don't really regret watching it or anything, but certainly not good enough for me to recommend to anyone or watch a second time

ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Wlh98dcSA

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Who would Gamagoori have as their best man? Mako will obviously have her sister-by-bond Ryuko be her maide of honor, but Gamagoori's close relationship aren't that fleshed out in the anime.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have AIDS and view any and all close relationships between women as romantic in nature.

Greetings. I ship Sesshomaru/InuYasha.
Farewell

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Oh my god :lol:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Who would Gamagoori have as their best man? Mako will obviously have her sister-by-bond Ryuko be her maide of honor, but Gamagoori's close relationship aren't that fleshed out in the anime.

Satsuki

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

DrPaper posted:

Gamagoori and Mako relationship isn't at all fleshed out either, it's not even mentioned. What is mentioned is Mako asking Ryuuko out on a date.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think you are reading more into what the date is more than the creators are.

Which is kind of what always seems to happen when Kill La Kill is discussed, so this is hardly shocking.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Sometimes I imagine myself fighting the characters from Kill La Kill, destroying them with wrestling moves including the most illegal move in wrestling. RIP Eric Garner

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

beaner69 posted:

Gamagoori and Mako relationship isn't at all fleshed out either, it's not even mentioned. What is mentioned is Mako asking Ryuuko out on a date.

In Japanese culture girls going on dates is a common thing amongst platonic friends.

Also it's already confirmed the 2nd OVA is gonna be their wedding, so it's canon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

beaner69 posted:

Dude, I'm usually the first person ship cute girls together but there's literally nothing to Ryuko and Mako having a more than platonic relationship outside of fanboy sperging.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
To me Kill la Kill sort of feels like the Beyond Earth of Anime. It started out with a crazy amount of potential but in the end just let all that potential fall away. Despite that it was still a wacky ride with an amazingly kick rear end soundtrack. I probably won't recommend it to others in the future but I don't hate myself for watching it. I'm not sure specifically what would have helped it hit that potential it had, but I do wish it had less Ragyo-rape-mother-ish stuff in it. At the very least that characteristic didn't really match that amazing theme (Blumenkranz) which I still believe to be one of the best villain themes I've ever heard.

Things I liked about the show:

* The insane pace it set.
*Mako
*Satsuki Kiryuin
*The soundtrack
*The over-the-top-crazy nature of all the characters.
*Animation jokes that would appear every now and then (example: Nui's arms getting cut off)

Things I didn't like:

*Ragyo being all daughter incesty.
*The main character constantly losing her way.
*Nudest beach not accomplishing anything despite the impressive buildup they were given.
*Ragyo's freaking sunglasses-wearing secretary, who did nothing in the end, despite all of that ominously standing in the background for all that time, making you think "Oh man I wonder what that character is going to do! She's been ominously standing back there for awhile now and they've intentionally given us almost no information about her."

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyrus_zane posted:

*Ragyo's freaking sunglasses-wearing secretary, who did nothing in the end, despite all of that ominously standing in the background for all that time, making you think "Oh man I wonder what that character is going to do! She's been ominously standing back there for awhile now and they've intentionally given us almost no information about her."

she does something, you missed eps 25

Simoom posted:

this but k-on!! for me

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

cyrus_zane posted:

Rei also saved Nui at one point although you might see that as a negative depending on whether you're a Nui hater or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

DrPaper posted:

Also it's already confirmed the 2nd OVA is gonna be their wedding, so it's canon.

hosed up if true. it aint though.

• Locked thread