Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have never seen someone who went 'ugh, my eyes were rolling so hard!' who had good opinions on anything. in fact, they're always insufferable douches. welp, peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
my eyes rolled so hard, into the back of my head, as i watched ragyo kiryuin brainwash her fiesty daughter into being a pleasure slave, because thats all i wanted to my parents to do, thats why i wore that leather jacket in grade 10, why mom, please

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PotU posted:

お前はもう止まっている

Anywho, let me go over Kyoani's stuff just to be sure.

Air/Clannad/Kanon/etc - mmmmmehhh
Full Metal Panic - Liked fumoffu more than the source stuff, not sure if that's normal
Haruhi - Not bad, endless eight wasn't nearly as funny as they hoped it'd be
K-On! - mmmmmehhhh
Nichijou - Funny show
Hyoka - Nah
Chunibyo - Nah
Tamako Market - Nah
Beyond the Boundary - I'll admit that I tried this one, but for whatever reason I just could not finish it. No idea why.
Free! - Not my cup of tea, though I'll admit it was hilarious to see reactions to this show. No opinion, really.
Amagi - Skipped it

They can animate the poo poo out of a show, and they can be funny as hell, but I am not really their target audience. Sorry I let all y'all down.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

K-On! - mmmmmehhhh

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrPaper posted:

It's almost like anime is the production of another culture and society different from our own OwO

n-no!

alternatively, insert a racist joke about how japs are all pedophiles and we should have nuked them off the face of the earth, etc, etc

pentyne posted:

So, the weirdo behavior that the odd kids do is now a "thing" in Japan anime?

It's like they're literally creating any fetish they can. How long to actual autism becomes a cutesy moe thing?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kuudere

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 13, 2015

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kill la Kill was pretty good. It got kinda bland and predictable by the end, but that's still better than a lot of anime that just become unwatchable poo poo partway through.

I would recommend it to anyone who likes Go Nagai, if nothing else.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Anywho, let me go over Kyoani's stuff just to be sure.

Air/Clannad/Kanon/etc - mmmmmehhh
Full Metal Panic - Liked fumoffu more than the source stuff, not sure if that's normal
Haruhi - Not bad, endless eight wasn't nearly as funny as they hoped it'd be
K-On! - mmmmmehhhh
Nichijou - Funny show
Hyoka - Nah
Chunibyo - Nah
Tamako Market - Nah
Beyond the Boundary - I'll admit that I tried this one, but for whatever reason I just could not finish it. No idea why.
Free! - Not my cup of tea, though I'll admit it was hilarious to see reactions to this show. No opinion, really.
Amagi - Skipped it

They can animate the poo poo out of a show, and they can be funny as hell, but I am not really their target audience. Sorry I let all y'all down.

You like Fumoffu more than regular FMP and you skipped Amagi!?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Srice posted:

I guess I'll have to go back and give it a shot, if you're throwing it at me like that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

I just looked this up. I'd have missed it because it's not on CR. Thanks, definitely watching this!

This is my story about how Kill la Kill saved my anime.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Why would you watch kill la kill for the action when you could watch bourne or rambo?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

DrPaper posted:

that's pretty understandable though

especially considering the artstyle for KLK is incredibly unsexy

Yeah, if anyone got boners from this show they have really low standards.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

im glad everyones quoting this fat human being instead of rationally pointing out that no studio has had more landmark shows in the last two decades than kyoani

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I guess I'll have to go back and give it a shot, if you're throwing it at me like that.

They're not exactly the same but the LN is from the FMP guy and the anime was handled by a lot of the same people.

Might not be as frantic as Fumoffu but I found it pretty funny.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amagi is good when it's trying to be funny but kinda bad when it's being serious.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sakurazuka posted:

Amagi is good when it's trying to be funny but kinda bad when it's being serious.
This is true for every Kyoani show ever.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i really liked the Tamako Love Story movie. it was way different than the dumb tv series and was better because of that

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pentyne posted:

So, the weirdo behavior that the odd kids do is now a "thing" in Japan anime?

Chunibyo comes out of the same type of social stigma that Americans use when they talk about the "terrible twos". It is isn't an anime thing.

And regardless, Trigger saved anime before KlK, anyway.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You know what is more irritating than people who insist a dumb cartoon is deep and meaningful? People who insist that dumb cartoons never have anything interesting to say.

Not that KlK has anything interesting to say, mind you. Or that it was good in general, because even the action was disappointing in the end.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i really liked the Tamako Love Story movie. it was way different than the dumb tv series and was better because of that

thats pretty right except the tv is still very good

moe is a very good thing in anime and i love it!

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

PotU posted:

thats pretty right except the tv is still very good

moe is a very good thing in anime and i love it!

i didn't mind dera in the series but the movie made me really appreciate the version of the setting that didn't involve him

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

This guy knows good anime.

Panzeh posted:

Why would you watch kill la kill for the action when you could watch rambo?

Get outta here grandpa.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd watch a Rambo anime

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Only if Rambo was a girl

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rambo was the first tsundere

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno I found it to be great when Amagi was trying to be serious. Mostly because the serious bits were about the great love story between Kanye West and 50 Cent and how everyone in the park was desperately trying to save Queen Latifah.

Also KlK and Inou Battle entertained me, which is more than I can say about many shows, even if there were massive cringe moments involved. And a few scenes in KlK that the internet will never let me forget.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happiness posted:

i didn't mind dera in the series but the movie made me really appreciate the version of the setting that didn't involve him

oh yeah no i didnt really like dera at all, thats true

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Did you just meh kon you inhuman bastard?!?!

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Butt Ghost posted:

I'd watch a Rambo anime

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Razzled posted:

Did you just meh kon you inhuman bastard?!?!

Easiest meh I ever meh'd

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There's still time OP.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Joshiraku doesn't get enough love in the forum.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0u21uL2QMU&t=27s

:confuoot:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the kill la kill dub is the best part of the show

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I am genuinely surprised

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Anime still exists, therefore KLK saved anime. Checkmate, haters. :smug:

Captain Invictus posted:

I am genuinely surprised
I would have been, like a month ago, but I've seen several episodes of Mr. Pickles since then and implied bathtub molestation doesn't hold a candle to some of that poo poo.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

PotU posted:

anime doesnt need saving

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Joshiraku doesn't get enough love in the forum.

nationalist moe = best moe

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Rangpur posted:

Anime still exists, therefore KLK saved anime. Checkmate, haters. :smug:

I would have been, like a month ago, but I've seen several episodes of Mr. Pickles since then and implied bathtub molestation doesn't hold a candle to some of that poo poo.

Jesus I thought that was just a pilot, but it got picked up? I really thought it was too disgusting/not actually funny enough to catch on even with the Adult Swim set.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

nationalist moe = best moe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

now this i can get behind :911:

• Locked thread