Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I've been looking for a good place to talk about Donkey Kong '94 on Game Boy on SA for the past few days because I just finished up a review video for it last week. I found through the search that somebody was looking for a game to binge through during the holidays and somebody recommended DK94 via the 3DS virtual console. Well, that's exactly what I did, and I was blown away with how good that game is. 20 years old and it plays that well? Weird.

Here's my video. Discuss! Had a good time making it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HAV2UEfNQ

I remember when I borrowed my cousin's copy of this game and playing through it while running errands with my mom when I was a kid. We got caught up in a auto shop for a good four hours, and DK94 was the only game I had on me. I steamrolled through it and never remembered what that game was until Mario vs Donkey Kong came out years later. It's too bad they kind of ran those games into the ground with the DS iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

it fuckin rules man

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I know! Why was it kind of forgotten? I think MvsDK is great, but it lacks some style that 94 had. I make a joke in the video about the branding being off/misleading, but maybe that is really the case.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you have a nice voice op

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
DK94 was pretty heavily promoted by nintendo power, mostly b/c it was the flagship release game for the super game boy did and had SGB-specific borders and sounds coded in.

it's a really fun game, had great mario movement, and probably makes for a hell of a speedrun

i assure you that it was popular at release, but am not sure why it hasn't held popularity like a lot of other dmg games

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

your video has gotten me to try this game again, this time with the knowledge that there are special jumps. it's a good game

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I played the hell out of Mario VS Donkey Kong, but then they introduced the minis in the series and they weren't very fun. And then they doubled down on them. And now it's entirely a series about minis. gently caress that

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
got this on my 3ds via club nintendo. real cool game and it blew my mind when i found out that the mario do a u-turn flip came from this

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It's a really good game. A shame it was the only Game Boy game that really took advantage of the Super Game Boy.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

the way it uses the super game boy colorization stuff is really good

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The Super Game Boy was extremely win.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I just got a copy of this to play on my SGB like today after putting it off for ages.

I'll have to look into these jumps before I keep going, namely the handstand and that sick wire trick I saw in your video.

Jesus I'd love to see a speed run of this after I finish it.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

This game would lend itself well to a speed run. I'd give it a shot, but playing through it twice in a couple days may have burned me out for a little bit, ha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

donkey kong '94 was a good as hell way to update a classic game and make you feel like you got your money's worth out of it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
d
k
ninety
four

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

holy poo poo how have I never played this?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
it's cool how strongly mario's movement in dk94 influenced sm64's moveset

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I've been saying this for years.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
DK 94 rules. Always has, always will, and I will physically fight anyone who says otherwise. Passionate gamer here.

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

This is the best GB game for sure.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I saw you post your video in the internet critics forum. It a solid video. Sadly it got overlooked.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Are those games with the little wind-up toy marios kind of sequels to this one? I never played them but they reminded me of DK94.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I love Donkey Kong! Glad to see other people on here are enjoying a Donkey Kong universe game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I love Donkey Kong! Glad to see other people on here are enjoying a Donkey Kong universe game.

this is a mario game

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

elf help book posted:

this is a mario game

Er.. okay? So is the original "Donkey Kong". In DK94, you face off against Mario's old nemesis, the Kong who would later be commonly known as 'Cranky Kong'. I'm not sure what you're getting at, here - this game is still connected to the DKU.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
this looks realy good. i had a game boy but i didn't have this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gameboy on the tv is epic

they should make a ds cart reader for wii u

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

just bought this on the eshop. settling in for a night of good gaming with my old pal DK

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Are those games with the little wind-up toy marios kind of sequels to this one? I never played them but they reminded me of DK94.

Yeah, but only the GBA one is similar DK94. They are all fun tho.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
For the people who didn't know about the backflips and the handsprings this game must have been impossible to beat. It was really good, I think this was the last GB game I had.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am the one who recommended this game to the other guy in the OP and this game is one of the greatest ever made. :cool:

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

zfleeman posted:

I've been looking for a good place to talk about Donkey Kong '94 on Game Boy on SA for the past few days because I just finished up a review video for it last week. I found through the search that somebody was looking for a game to binge through during the holidays and somebody recommended DK94 via the 3DS virtual console. Well, that's exactly what I did, and I was blown away with how good that game is. 20 years old and it plays that well? Weird.

Here's my video. Discuss! Had a good time making it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HAV2UEfNQ

I remember when I borrowed my cousin's copy of this game and playing through it while running errands with my mom when I was a kid. We got caught up in a auto shop for a good four hours, and DK94 was the only game I had on me. I steamrolled through it and never remembered what that game was until Mario vs Donkey Kong came out years later. It's too bad they kind of ran those games into the ground with the DS iterations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mercury Crusader posted:

A shame it was the only Game Boy game that really took advantage of the Super Game Boy.
Nothing could top Game Boy Space Invaders which basically had a copy of the SNES version accessible from the Super Game Boy.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

gameboy on the tv is epic

they should make a ds cart reader for wii u
I kinda wonder why Nintendo didn't do this for every generation of handheld.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
Give me a WII U a 3DS immediately

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I'm a fan of Donkey Kong Jr.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Loved this game when it came out, but it was my friend back in middle school who owned it and the Super Gameboy, so I never ended up with a copy. Now might be the perfect time to pick it up on virtual console and play it again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

donkey kong '94 was good as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXaDv4B6EW8

liquid courage posted:

I kinda wonder why Nintendo didn't do this for every generation of handheld.
the Game Boy Advance has the Game Boy Player adapter for Gamecube

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just realized that the original donkey kong has never been a playable character. Every single game where you can play as 'donkey kong,' it's actually donkey kong jr.

Sometimes the original donkey kong appears and he just has a ton of hate in his heart

• Locked thread