Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Starter Wiggin posted:

I have a background in disaster management, and that combined with zoology would make me a decent candidate for the Peace Corps, which could translate to government work fairly "smoothly", which is a financially sound career end goal.

I hope.

My girlfriend did Peace Corps (public health education) in Nowhere, West Africa with an Art History degree. I was hanging out with her and a few of her PC alum friends and they were talking about how they've been dropping the standards considerably since they all finished up a few years ago. I talked myself out of applying back in 2010 because I thought I wouldn't have been qualified for small business development with my Psych/International Studies background, turned out I was almost certainly wrong.

I have the same noncompetitive hiring status as returned PCV's and it is pretty loving useless unless you have great connections and/or are insanely qualified.

In short, do Peace Corps if you really want to, but I wouldn't base my degree on it, nor would I count on the federal hiring benefits. Peace Corps service will also actually exclude you from a host of positions involving national security.

edit: PC apparently only gives you one year of non-competitive hiring status, I would downplay that benefit even more than I already have.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread