Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droo
Jun 25, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I know you don't want to hear it, but if you are going to spend the time, energy, and money on getting an undergraduate degree at a state school, you need to either: A) pick a major that is going to get you a job, or B) do something different like get an associate's degree in IT or whatever.

I agree with this. OP, you really seem ambivalent about what degree you actually get because you just want "a degree" to qualify for government jobs. Why don't you find something that is a better compromise between what you are good at/can tolerate as a profession, and what kind of future career you can get? That way you can still pursue the peace corps and government work, but if something doesn't work out or you decide working for the government sucks, you have something more lucrative to fall back on.

As far as the loans, you probably need to figure out how badly the medical debt will screw up your borrowing opportunities and whether you need to address the debt or not. Then you should probably learn all about the financial aid process, fill out a mock FAFSA and see where you stand and what kind of subsidized loans you will qualify for. Then you should make a spreadsheet that estimates what your current net worth and post-college net worth will look like.

As an adult, you have a better opportunity than most to go into the whole deal with eyes wide open. You shouldn't be surprised when you graduate college at 31 years old with $75,000 in debt and qualifications that can barely land you a $35,000 salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Those degree numbers also lump in all the useful, in-demand degrees we are all recommending with everything else. In fact, since the OP stated that he is going to college and no one has actually recommended AGAINST going to college, I don't really see what relevance that particular data has.

• Locked thread