Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
From a financial standpoint, unless you're joining the military I can't recommend getting a zoology degree so whatever stops you from doing that is the right answer.

Or becoming a veterinarian, or a teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I feel like the thread should just be "you're not going to want to hear this but...."

I don't think this forum should be about harm reduction and which is the lesser of bad paths to take, but instead should be focusing on what is the best direction to take, and objectively what makes sense. I've also noticed that you have bad decision making skills to begin with and suffer from that and you're about to fall into the same trap. I would ask "what degree will help me be eligible the most to both be in the Peace Core and good governmental work" rather than I want this specific specialized degree that won't do much for me. I don't know why it has to be Zoology that degree is terrible. Also it's fairly insulting to think nobody can go to google and write "integrative biology university of oregon" and with 3 clicks find out you mean zoology.

If your passion is the peace core why not have a backup plan with a good degree just in case it doesn't work out, when like, you have your kidney removed? Or if you can't get the governmental job.

You're puting yourself in a position to be 130k in debt while making 40k a year.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Starter Wiggin posted:

-By what metric do I have bad decision making skills? I haven't gone to this school yet. I don't have this "worst degree ever, even worse than English or Art History, trust me, stranger". I haven't done anything wrt my awards or really anything. I'm aiming to get advice and opinions before I make any final moves.

-Fine then. What degree would help me be most eligible for the Peace Corps and a government job?

-Why is zoology such a terrible undergraduate degree, just for my own information.

-(It's OSU, not UofO, not that that makes a difference since I'm throwing my life away either way by this thread's metrics.)

-How do you figure 130K in debt? Even if you're counting my medical debt, that's 50k, leaving an imagined 80k in school debt, and that's ludicrous.

I really do appreciate everyone who has weighed in here. No one in my family has ever gone to college, so trying to get information that's unbiased is not terribly accessible.

Well you're joining the peace corps while possibly having to go through dialysis, and having to have a kidney replaced without researching whether or not they'll even let you join with that going on. Plus uhh your forums history should be enough to show you make bad/impulsive decisions.

What devian said for peace corps is excellent. Being bilingual will increase your earning potential while also give you a leg up for the corps

There aren't jobs for zoology and you shouldn't go to college for your first degree in a field that won't increase your earning potential

OSU/UofO whatever

You're going to have way more medical debt it sounds like especially if nothing works out the way you want it to. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with 100k debt in 8 years at the rate you're going.

• Locked thread