Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Martinez Academy uploaded two videos on French and Italian foil assaults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlrxUyuzvaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkCbwg56sU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Do any of you have experience judging matches? I'm loving awful at it apparently, and I'm curious what it is that people are looking at because I apparently can't make good calls.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJED1eCXww
0:40 it's in slo-mo. It's what I would call a typical lunging attacks and he moves his feet first.

I got 15 years+ of kendo experience, I have competed internationally (not very succesfully, mind you). I've done some iai and are now also doing Katori Shinto Ryu.
None of these sword-arts, which has 400+ years of direct transmission, with about as recent real application as you get and none of them, none, would ever claim to move lead with your hands.

Even in the static cuts, you are starting every movement with your hips first...this is bio-mechanics/sports science 101!.

This is how we do it in our school, and we're considered the best cutting school on the east coast (for HEMA).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

P-Mack posted:

True enough for cuts, but at the same time we emphasize extending the arms before advancing the body on a thrust.

Oh, absolutely. When I practiced rapier at the Martinez Academy we were taught to close off the line of attack with the arm before lunging. Cutting is definitely a different ballgame though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Hey fencing nerds, what do y'all do for conditioning? America got stomped by the Euros at the Purpleheart Open, partially because they're far more conditioned than we are (generally).

I'm a bit of a chub right now, and I want to be a not chub. Also I want to not get winded after 3 minutes of intense sparring.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

For those interested (and in the New York/New Jersey area), the Martinez Academy, along with the Raven Arts Institute, will be hosting the Spanish Martial Arts Weekend on May 29-31.

Here's a video preview of the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrrNKTnZhs4

You can register here: http://www.martinez-destreza.com/calendar/spanish-martial-arts-weekend-2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I did a 5 minute gauntlet last night (one fighter one minute each) to test my endurance wearing full gear. I did ok, and I got some neat footage from the first minute and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IpgL-n6LDk Normal speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCWW_QXacY Slow motion.

I'm on the left at the start.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

curious lump posted:

why doesnt one guy just thrust and stab the other dude when he misses his swing and leaves himself 100% open

Generally the idea of HEMA fencing utilizes not only attacking but successfully defending yourself in the process. Someone may be open, but a thrust might not be possible without suffering the repercussion of an afterblow from the stabbed. You have to be judicious when you commit, especially to a thrust, which generally requires you to be more in measure than a cut might.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the "lock-out" time generally considered to be? A thrust and fleche past would probably avoid a counterattack after the hit, but easier said than done. And is there much of a difference fencing a left-hander with a two-handed weapon?
How big is the bout area compared to, say, kendo or boxing? It looks pretty claustrophobic to me, but I guess it does give you the option of retreating indefinitely (whereas on a piste there's only so much backing up you can do).

They give you the tempo in which the first blow was dealt. Anything past that tempo is ignored. As a left-handed fencer, I can say that it's much different for most righties. They're used to openings being on the exact opposite of their targets, while I'm used to them winding to their normal side, leaving their right side exposed. I'm not sure about kendo or boxing, but the ring is generally 20-30 feet in diameter, which is larger than what we had during the filming of that fight.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 6, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

P-Mack posted:

:argh:

I did this like half a dozen times yesterday.

I gotta work on adjusting some things that I do because I'm pretty sure people are going to catch on to my one-trick pony, not to mention that I have an issue fighting lefties.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

There were a couple of touches in that video where the defender did quite a quite parry that was too level (should have been a bit more angled) and got smacked in the wrist/forearm - was that as painful as it looked? And do you get a lot of sabre/epee-style poo poo with people trying for relatively quick slashes to the wrists and forearm?

Level parries in longsword are actually a good thing. We have "good" parries and "bad" parries, where "good" is when your point is in line with your opponent, and "bad" is when it's not in line. The names are misnomers, because they're both effective, but essentially a good parry means you have immediate threat as opposed to having to reorient your weapon. That being said, a good parry is difficult to do all the time because you essentially have to shunt your opponent's weapon down the length of the blade until they stop moving. With sharp blades this is easier, as they will bite into one another, but with feders and similarly blunted weapons you end up having to really shunt it down to the crossguard.

Hits do hurt sometimes, even with the gear we have. Gloves don't necessarily protect against pain, but they do stop your fingers from snapping, which is the most important part. I got caught in the stomach by P-Mack (I believe) on Saturday and it was a pretty solid hit.

We do a lot of hand and forearm hits in our school. It comes from the JSA background my teacher's teacher has. I mean, the arm is the closest target in most cases, and while it might not kill someone to hew their arm, it will certainly dampen their ability to perform well (especially if they're now hand-less). We train not to do little taps though. We had a tendency to do a quick snap to the forearms or hands, but that would not be terrible effective in a real situation. Longpoint 2015 rules are changing to reflect this by implementing a rule where the sword must travel in an arc of at least 45 degrees for it to be considered a "quality" hit (otherwise you get zero points).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Perestroika posted:

That actually makes me wonder, does longsword usually make room for drawing or pushing cuts with the blade pressed against the opponent? From my (very limited) understanding that's something that's occasionally mentioned in some treatises, but I'm curious how often something like that would come up in sparring or competition.

They probably /should/ come up more often than it does. Currently it's rather difficult to really see a drawing cut in action, so the new rule is that it has to be at least half of the blade being drawn across the target in order to "count" as a drawing cut (this is mostly general, and drawing cuts happen infrequently regardless). Push cuts are a bit more common (at least in the texts and in our school), and we practice variations of unterschnitt and oberschnitt (I might be misspelling those) where you seize an opening by pressing the edge of your sword against your opponent's forearms, pushing up in an unterschnitt, or down with an oberschnitt, in order to suppress an action from your opponent. We do it as part of a fuhlen drill (feeling drill, where you try to feel where your opponent's weapon is moving) where person A attacks person B, person B performs a "bad" parry, and after parrying moves their sword out of line (either by readying an attack or transitioning into another guard), and person A seizes the opportunity by moving forward and performing the action (oberschnitt/unterschnitt) before person B can complete theirs.

I'm also interpreting "push" cuts differently (I think), in that we're using the sword to literally push someone's limbs.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

El Spamo posted:

Are points awarded to hits on the arm with the longsword? Is it worthwhile to base a significant part of your game around racking up points from forearm cuts and such?

Also, and I'm sure there's a good reason for it, why aren't thrusts used more often?

It depends on the rule system. In most systems the entire body (with the exception of the groin and the back of the head) is a potential target, with perhaps fewer points awarded to hits to the limbs as opposed to the head or torso. I've heard of systems where hand hits were illegal, but this was mostly an artifact of not having proper protective gear widely available. You can absolutely be really good at just sniping hands and forearms, but for the most part more modern systems reward hits to the head or thrusts to the torso so highly that it evens the gap, or in some cases makes high risk/high reward tactics very valuable.

Thrusting is definitely under-utilized in general. I think Longpoint 2015 rules are trying to change that by making hits to the torso reward less points than thrusts to the torso. In my own personal training, I used to thrust a /lot/ (I think as an artifact of my rapier training) but I've since moved towards more hewing as I work on angles and body mechanics. My teacher has a mean thrust though, that comes completely out of nowhere.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

There are quite a lot of good matches coming out of the current FIE GP. Here's some foil where you can watch Alexander Massialas being a dick by countering/remising with a point in line and letting his opponent walk into it. drat, those guys are scary fast.

Just curious, but are American fencers generally good?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Watch (and critique) my fat rear end doing some practice cutting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqj6dMEVxA

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

HappyKitty posted:

I'm a complete fencing noob (just started longsword this January), and I'm curious as to why, in the cutting that you're doing, your stance has the same foot forward as the should to which your sword is raised. It's probably because I'm so used to "right vom tag, left foot forward, left vom tag, right foot forward", but it just looks weird. Is it to avoid having to step to do a cut?

Fake edit: Just tried swinging my longsword around in the kitchen like an idiot, and that's still my best guess, since it feels less awkward to temporarily hold an off-foot guard than it is to try to cut down toward your forward leg.

The way we teach it, at least for cutting in isolation, is that your forward foot shouldn't be in the path of your cut, otherwise you risk cutting into your own leg. This isn't a law, but more of a guideline. We also practice cutting without step to better isolate the body mechanics necessary in cutting. Things like hip rotation and speed, and more conceptual things like distance management.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Han Feizi posted:

Does anyone know of anywhere around Camp Pendleton where I could learn historical fencing? I have always had a fascination with the rapier but most HEMA around here is devoted to longsword.

I would suggest checking out the HEMA Alliance club finder, and if that doesn't work you could check out the HEMA Alliance Facebook group or /r/wma subreddit.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Just gonna borrow this from Axel Pettersson's Facebook: "HEMA in Sweden just got official Swedish Championship status granted by the Swedish Sports Federation. This is a huge milestone for us, our HEMA National Championships will now be recorded in official sports statistics and we will have a much higher profile in media and as an official sport." http://www.budokampsport.se/nyheter/2015/4/rf-har-beviljat-hema-sm-status-uppsala-kan-bli-historisk-vardstad

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

tirinal posted:

It's kind of interesting to compare this to WMA sparring as well. Unlike sport fencing, people who do it usually claim it's a martial art, which is true enough, and that it's a recreation of traditional fencing, which is more doubtful.

Bouts at my WMA school usually look nothing like this, simply because the consequence of risk is not a punctured lung. There's no way to introduce a best-of scoring format to combat and not warp how it's conducted.

Put another way, even if the techniques are technically the same, there's a large difference between using them to get the most points versus to not lose any points.

It's an issue we deal with constantly. How do you learn to fence "for real" without that inherent risk of real injury?

My battodo teacher's teacher hates double hits with a passion. He will punish you very hard if you land a double hit, if only to help spread that fear. Anyone who doesn't care about their own life can kill even an experienced fencer, which is why it's important to at least try and fence as if your life depends on it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

DandyLion posted:

This is one of the most critical issues with HEMA that I constantly wrestle with. I recently rediscovered an article I read some years ago that details a couple of fella's foray into a modern semi-sharp saber duel. Its especially insightful in understanding the place fear of bodily harm has in affecting the manner in which we spar.

http://boxwrestlefence.com/blog/2012/09/27/from-the-archives-ruminations-on-a-duel/

This is great, thanks!

Here's a fight between Roland Warzecha and Jake Norwood with minimal gear (literally just gym clothes and mensur goggles). You can see how much more out of distance they're staying, and how they're focusing on defense more than offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WH974doYI8

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I'm curious, but why are fencing blades so easily breakable? Speaking with people who fence smallsword, rapier, or french foil, their weapons don't seem to break anywhere near as often as sport fencers. I mean, they're paying between $200 to $300, so there's that. Longswords can break from time to time, but it's mostly due to defect, problems with heat treatment, or using way too much force to begin with.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

Today I stabbed a cabbage to death with a dagger. :black101: What cool stuff have you guys been up to lately?

I sparred my teacher and did pretty well (but honestly he could destroy me if he wanted)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUrUoD3j4-k (I'm in the black jacket)

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 8, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It seems like in general you guys don't really bind a lot. Is that a consequence of the flexibility of the swords?

That's what I'm trying to work on in this video. You can see me trying to initiate a bind sometimes, but usually it ends up with one of us sailing off. The flexibility of the swords is fine, but they are pretty blunt which means swords have to bind somewhat artificially.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

You're both wearing black jackets. :v: Are you the one in the Leon Paul mask?

Technically his is really dark green, but you're right, thats dumb. I'm in the black mask with the metal gloves.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Reading through this thread (on page 4 so far). I've always found fencing super interesting even from an early age, but I never knew where the hell to go to do it and my parents were never very motivated to help me out (just in that one regard). Kinda forgot about it until I saw this thread but now that I'm an adult with some disposable income this seems like a hobby I'd really like.

I'm in San Diego - any clubs you can recommend to a total beginner? Either modern fencing or historical fencing types?

Also how old is too old to start fencing? I'm not trying to be competitive or anything, I just want to duel with some swords and have fun getting exercise.

Yeah, KRON is probably your best bet for that area. They have a ton of students and they're a really good school, very well respected in HEMA circles. And you're never too old! It's actually good exercise so long as you're not hyperextending your wrists/elbows.

Though if you're very old you may want to take necessary precautions. We had a dude in his 60's for a while but he ended up quitting after getting a finger snapped. He had calcium issues that were brought on by age.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

What are the most common HEMA injuries anyway, elbow hyper extension?

I would say tennis elbow, shoulder problems, and finger breaks are the most common (at least in my school). Tennis elbow and the shoulder problems can be negated with good form though, and broken fingers can be negated with proper hand protection. Right now most of the injuries we're seeing come from sparring unarmored with padded swords, and that's mostly finger fractures.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

See, I've always heard that with knees any damage is easily avoidable if you're careful not to hyper extend. People have told me that if anything fencing (in general) is actually good for the knees.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

We don't do a ton of lunging in German longsword since we're more of a cutting weapon and we're less profiled, but I see your point. Whenever I watch olympic fencing I'm always surprised just how explosive that initial push is with the back foot, and how far forward the knee is over the toes of the leading foot.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

This past weekend was FNY, my school's tournament. My pool was crazy tough and I didn't advance, but it was fun regardless. Here's the only video (that I know of) of me fighting at that event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77AE_7GNi0 (I'm the red fighter wearing red socks)

My favorite part is seeing how much I have advanced since I first went to that tournament one year ago, where I got poo poo-stomped in the beginner's tournament. Now I'm getting poo poo-stomped in Open Steel by actual good fencers!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 2, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

For signaling, and to separate the fencers without having to dive all the way in, I think. I'm pretty sure you can see it in old fencing competition illustrations, but I don't have any handy right now.

Basically this, though I think there's a reference somewhere to the ref being able to kick someone's rear end with it if need be.

There was a lot of unchecked aggression this year though. A lot of clean fencing, but a lot of fights needed to be broken up and that staff definitely helps.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

thewireguy posted:

Holy poo poo, I have a lot to learn. I just had my second fencing mass with hema. I dont know why no spinning? And I am alwAys too close. I am used to hand/foot range... Is it frowned upon to trip or push someone?

You can definitely do that stuff, but I would suggest staying away from it until you have a grasp for the basics. An experienced fencer will know how to keep that distance and punish you for getting too close if you don't know what you're doing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

How do the judges' hand signals work (with the little red and blue sticks)?

It's sort of a work in progress, and the guy with the red shirt actually had his sticks backwards (his red stick should have been in his left hand to point at the red fighter). Essentially there are four judges (two head judges, two normal judges) and one ring boss (the guy with the pole). The two head judges get a red and blue stick and they watch both the red and blue fighters, and the two normal judges each get one stick (one red, one blue) and they watch their respective colored fighter. If the judges see one of the fighters hit the other, they'll yell "point!" which prompts the ring boss to yell "hold!" (until the ring boss yells hold, you can continue fighting). The system then goes as follows:

The ring boss yells "judges?"

>IF a head judge saw the blue fighter hit the red fighter, and was not hit in return, the head judge holds out the blue stick. The ring boss yells "clean hit on blue; target?". The head judge and blue judge (the one with the blue stick) then use the stick to indicate where they hit the opponent. If it was a thrust they kinda stab where they hit with the stick to indicate a thrust. This is important because a thrust to the chest or head is worth three points, while a thrust anywhere else is worth a single point. Cuts and slices to the head and above the shoulder are also worth three points.

Note: If the hit didn't have "quality", meaning the fighter hit with the flat of the blade, the "strong" of the blade (the half of the blade closer to the crossguard), the very tip of the blade, or the fighter didn't have good balance or stable footing), when the ring boss yells "target?" the judges will cross their hands beneath their waist to indicate no quality. A hit without quality counts for zero points.

Note: if the hit had "control", meaning the fighter did a textbook maneuver that effectively stopped the opponent from delivering any kind of blow in return (an example of this would be a disarm or takedown), when the ring boss yells "target?" the judges will indicate the target as they would normally, and then spin the stick above their head to indicate control. A control point is worth six points. Double note: if you are more than six points ahead of your opponent you automatically win.

>IF a head judge saw the blue fighter hit the red fighter, but the red fighter hit back after the initial blow, the head judge holds out the blue stick and raises the red stick above his head. The ring boss yells "failure to defend on blue; target?" and then the target is indicated just as before. Assuming the hit had quality, it can only ever count for one point (even if it would have normally qualified for three points). This blow can never count for control.

>IF a head judge saw both the blue and red fighter hit each other simultaneously, the head judge holds out both sticks. The ring boss yells "double" and there's some vague rule about if a double occurred because they both tried to do a maneuver (crossed double) or if both fighters just swung stupidly at each other without regard for their own well-being (open double). Crossed doubles are just thrown out and you keep fighting. If you get three open doubles in a match you both count as having lost and get zero points for the match.

It sounds really confusing on paper, but when you actually sit down and do it it works pretty well. Ultimately the ring boss gets the final say, so if they saw something egregious that everyone else missed they can rule in that favor (which happened a few times. Ring bosses are usually seasoned fencers with extensive judging backgrounds). There was a bit of an issue with really slight blows being counted sometimes, and other times being ignored entirely, but otherwise the judging was consistently good this year.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Yeah, if you ever watch a real knife fight you'll see how careful everyone is and how little actually happens. There's a video on facebook (I think the page Bloodiest Fights has it) of two dudes fighting with knives and it's pretty intense considering how timid they both are. It's a lot of slashing at legs and arms, because they're usually the closest target, and getting in close with a knife means your opponent is also in range. A knife is so small it can't easily be blocked off.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

http://www.mandatory.com/2015/06/15/this-is-what-happens-when-you-give-drunk-people-a-sword/

Drinking AFTER swords is fine. Heck, drinking while using gekken swords is also fine (and really fun). Drinking with sharp swords (especially if you're a bunch of bros) is not cool.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Alternatively, practice without socks on. It can help with learning how to grip with your feet and you develop pretty strong callouses.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The Holy Queef posted:

This thread is loving amazing when read with gizoogle.net

end of shitpost

Remarkable.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

For those interested, HEMA-mans Richard Marsden recently published his book on Polish saber, available on Amazon and it seems pretty great. If you're interested please get a copy. The dude is legit and is arguably one of the foremost experts on Polish saber in the world.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Not mine, but here's some neat sidesword + dagger sparring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u9al15uHt4

edit: next time I'll remember to link the video.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

What do y'all do to train in your free time? I'm hitting a bit of a plateau this week and I want to improve or add to my personal training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I've always been confused at the whole "X amount of time before you spar" thing some places love to do. It's really more about maturity and following a few simple safety rules than actually being good. Different people grasp these things at different rates.

By putting a definite time limit on it, the whole thing feels more like hazing than ensuring safety.

I assume this is historical, though. What kind of weapons/protective gear do you guys use? I can see the 6 month thing making sense as a general rule to keep the new guys reigned in if you have a situation where one idiot can really hurt someone.

I'm not sure if it's historical, but we don't follow it in our school. We require students to go through the three beginner classes, which cover basics of striking, footwork, distance, and sword safety. You can take these over the course of a month, since each class is on a twice-weekly schedule. Then students are allowed to take intermediate courses, which include partnering up and practicing sword-on-sword contact. You're allowed to participate in sparring at this point, but if you don't have gear you can probably only use gekken (padded swords).

We've even allowed people to spar with gekken who are still beginner students, especially if they think they're hot poo poo. They're only allowed to spar against experienced students though, and they usually don't come back because they get owned.