Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chamale posted:

What about the half-sword style of historical fencing? It's really different from fencing because you often want to swing the sword around and smash your opponent with the pommel, but for this reason it's too dangerous to actually practice. Which is a shame, because I think it looks cooler than modern sport fencing.

It's primarily for armored combat, as it gives you improved tip control for finding gaps in the armor, and leverage for various throws and locks. As you allude to, armored fighting is difficult to practice with intensity, since the techniques were designed to kill people already wearing the best possible protective equipment.

The thing where you grip the blade with both hands and swing it like a hammer is called a mordschlag, or "murder stroke." Might not necessarily kill a man in armor, but would definitely ring his bell and leave him vulnerable to a follow up technique.

Zeitgueist, how much luck have you had pulling off those halfsword disarms in open sparring? I imagine it would make you feel like an absolute baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Question for the other HEMA folks: what do you prefer for head protection? I've been borrowing my gym's safety equipment, but want my own since sometimes we run out. I was thinking about an epee mask with a SPES mask overlay.

Also, since this may be the only thread that might appreciate this, have a pic of my recently restored rapier:

Most people in my class have masks with built in overlays. If you plan on doing other styles of fencing separate mask and overlay would make a lot of sense.

I've never really heard anyone bitch much about any particular mask model, compared to the constant complaints I hear about gloves.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

This is how we do it in our school, and we're considered the best cutting school on the east coast (for HEMA).

True enough for cuts, but at the same time we emphasize extending the arms before advancing the body on a thrust.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

They're used to openings being on the exact opposite of their targets, while I'm used to them winding to their normal side, leaving their right side exposed.

:argh:

I did this like half a dozen times yesterday.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

They probably /should/ come up more often than it does. Currently it's rather difficult to really see a drawing cut in action, so the new rule is that it has to be at least half of the blade being drawn across the target in order to "count" as a drawing cut (this is mostly general, and drawing cuts happen infrequently regardless). Push cuts are a bit more common (at least in the texts and in our school), and we practice variations of unterschnitt and oberschnitt (I might be misspelling those) where you seize an opening by pressing the edge of your sword against your opponent's forearms, pushing up in an unterschnitt, or down with an oberschnitt, in order to suppress an action from your opponent. We do it as part of a fuhlen drill (feeling drill, where you try to feel where your opponent's weapon is moving) where person A attacks person B, person B performs a "bad" parry, and after parrying moves their sword out of line (either by readying an attack or transitioning into another guard), and person A seizes the opportunity by moving forward and performing the action (oberschnitt/unterschnitt) before person B can complete theirs.

I'm also interpreting "push" cuts differently (I think), in that we're using the sword to literally push someone's limbs.
Ideally, the schnitt has removed their sword as a threat and can be followed up with a quick strike to the head, so whether the schnitt would or wouldn't have damaged/removed their hands becomes less important.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Supposedly in early modern Spanish fencing schools, the staff was a montante. I talked to one judge who was pretty disappointed he couldn't do this.

I got stomped in the beginner's tournament, looking forward to being pummeled with steel next year.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Han Feizi posted:

My humble naginata dojo just had a jukendo demonstration. Holy hell I think I found my new favorite martial art. The Marines taught me to stick them with the point end, I had no idea there could be so much more than just stab them in the chest.

Great timing, we were just talking about bayonet combat in the military history thread. Did they demonstrate any bayonet vs sword techniques?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Went to a HEMA tournament this weekend which used a one hit kill format. Murder a dude, you win and he loses, double kill and you both lose. Swiss pool format with people getting cut after a certain number of losses. I liked it a lot, all you had to worry about was "kill" and "don't die", nobody had to alter their game based on score or time. It also kept bouts very short, so even a scrub tier fencer like me got to fence a ton of different people. Probably pretty stressful for the top guys who could potentially lose matches to a single hit from a lucky n00b, but there were so many total matches that the cream still rose to the top.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Siivola posted:

Battle of the Nations -style battles are actually even worse spectator sports than sport fencing, because telling scoring blows apart from poor ones (yeah there's actually a points system in 1v1 fights) is loving impossible from a tiny YouTube video and the commentary is amateurish at best. :v: At least sport fencing has slow-motion replays and decent commentary.

Also for some reason it's weird as heck to see Japan has a scene for that sort of thing. I mean I knew they had a team in BotN a year or two ago, but still. They got nerds for everything.

Except plenty of people watching BotN type stuff don't give a poo poo about points anyway.

ufcfanjustbleed.gif

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ataxerxes posted:

Also, has anyone here trained with a dussak? One of these things:

A local group trains with these and I have been to a few sessions, it's quite interesting. It's like fighting with a short sabre or a cutlass.

I've played around with them a bit for one handed sparring during my club's super informal messer study, since actual messers hurt like hell even with gear on. No idea what I'm doing with the thing, but damned if I'm not having fun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Siivola posted:

I'm on a hot take roll today, so here's one for you guys: The "reality" we glorify in HEMA is entirely invented based on fragmented scholarship, pop history and movies. I mean, when kit up for freeplay, I have no loving clue what sort of role I'm supposed to play. Am I getting jumped in a back alley? Am I trying to take this guy prisoner, or vice versa? Is this guy just being a huge poo poo and honor demands I stab him in the face? Isn't that kind of important when you consider what you're supposed to be doing?

Haha no, it's just ~the duel~. The same duel I'd fight with a sidesword, sabre or one of those fabulous dueling shields. Whoever doesn't get hit wins. :dawkins101:

I think a lot of fechtbucher appear to have been written with judicial duels in mind, as opposed to teh mean streetz of the 16th century, so I don't see a huge problem here with taking that sort of "final destination, no items" duel as a scenario to prepare for.
But then there's stuff like the Montante manuals aimed at bodyguard duty, or dagger stuff that is more self defense oriented, so I do get your point that there's a bunch of other potential contexts, and could take a second or two to think about what our context is before jumping right into training.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Correct cutting technique comes from supervised basic practice.

Correct, with the caveat that test cutting is a way of making sure that what you think is your correct cutting technique actually is correct cutting technique. You do a cut a thousand times on air/partner, then do the same cut once on tatami to verify that it actually cuts and you haven't been getting sloppy with alignment or structure or whatever. Your instructor can get a lot of information from the results to identify areas for improvement. The ideal should always be to have your solo practice cut, your test cutting cut, and your live sparring cut be the same thing.

The trick to make it work productively in competition is to have judges who are very good cutters and swordmans who will notice and rules that penalize you for doing the stuff that makes a clean cut but isn't martially sound. I hope this will get better as HEMA cutting moves out of the novelty phase.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Also fencers have always been degenerate perverts.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Uziel posted:

Who all will be at Longpoint next month!?

Every person I know except me!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Please give us the gist of it via puppet theatre or interpretive dance.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Mainly condescending armchair-fencers who think Liechtenauer's tradition is The One True Martial Art. Anything He didn't prescribe is foolish and pointless. So gekken sparring? Sparring in gear? Sparring with sharps? Cutting with sharps? Tournaments? All useless. Edit: Anything that isn't drilling at 70% speed is not The Art (this was just told to me, I at least thought their school sparred, but I was wrong). Here is an exact quote in response to the video:

"How did this add to our collective knowledge of the Liechtenauer tradition? It did not."

No poo poo! It's two people from completely different schools of swordsmanship sparring for funsies, and people keep applying their own neurotic insecurities on it.

Oh, the guys who think training to cut a resisting opponent should never involve cutting or resisting opponents.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got to gekken with him briefly last month and it was enlightening because he wasn't going super fast, he wasn't being super sneaky, he wasn't doing much of anything except completely controlling the fight from start to finish.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you are training to kill people with a sword (there is no good reason to do this, but if you are) and cannot actually do so because your cuts don't sever enough tissue to reliably kill or maim, that is a problem you should correct, and it's probably a more critical one than whatever techniques you're working on in sparring. If you think tameshigiri or this pattern in particular is a bad way to test or train this quality that's one thing, but if you're asserting damaging cuts aren't very important to being a "good" fencer I'm going to disagree. (For the record, I am very much a "bad" fencer any way you slice it.)

My concern is that these "bad" fencers would really benefit from coming to the LHFL events where a lot of the really good cutters and cutting instructors are and if this discourages and excludes them it may be counterproductive.

On the third hand, there's enough HEMA events these days that if this policy is practically or philosophically a problem you can find plenty of other tournaments to enter, which I think the enactors of this policy are fully aware of. The impression I got is that they're doing it in their corner of the community to try to shift the martial<---->sport overton window so to speak rather than thinking it's a policy that would be appropriate across HEMA as whole. Maybe they want to stave off a sport/martial rupture, or maybe they want to bring it about in an act of nihilistic accelerationism.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm not saying cutting isn't necessary to being a "good fencer", but it's arbitrary to use that metric to determine who is and isn't good enough to compete in a tournament, especially since it is only a portion of the overall fencing experience and skillset.

I think everyone should practice cutting, and it should be in everyone's repertoire, but so should a hundred other things. Attempts to delegitimize sportification are fine, and their attempt to do that with the Triathalon was a solid step in that direction. Lift up people who excel in various HEMA-related skill sets, and give people the opportunity to pursue those other activities if they can, while giving those who aren't interested in pursuing more than one or two events the opportunity to compete.

edit: The perspective I have is that this ruling is poorly thought out. It's meant to fix an issue that doesn't exist, and it does so in a way that doesn't stop "sport fencers" or "sword taggers" from entering competition (their stated goal, based off of other passive aggressive posts). It's arbitrary. Do more stuff that lifts the best fencers up from the competitors, not stuff that pushes people down in an attempt to make them collectively "get good".

I hear you, I think there's a broad agreement on the goals and then a lot of problems in implementing solutions in a way that's fair and helpful for people at all levels and situations.

Another proposal was to combine the sparring and cutting tournaments into a single event, which would emphasize the importance of cutting without locking anyone out from even entering.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Definitely talk to the organizers in a respectful way. Odds are they already know judging sucks because it always does, but specific feedback still helps.

In longsword at least there's edge alignment and other stuff that makes some hits not really hits so I get why they don't want people calling their own hits in competition.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

that's not the point, the point is to show the main character's debasement and exhaustion and eli roth's character's self-satisfaction. it's all in aid of moving the plot forward.

roth was fantastic in that show btw

Everything about that fight makes perfect sense not necessarily in a "here's how you'd fight with this weapon" way but in the sense of "this is exactly what you'd expect this character to do based on the previous two hours of the movie." The ending is dumb if you just watch the scene and you're all "why would he make such a dumb mistake" but if you watched the entire movie you know exactly why.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

I'm kinda drunk and have forgotten, but did anyone mention that we can now open-carry swords in texas?

It was funny seeing people go "lol Texas" as if carrying swords isn't a thing good looking normal people do on the reg.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plastic is fine, they suck at simulating binds but that's not an issue for solo practice.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Protip : longsword to the thumb loving hurts.

Still very happy with this hobby. Gonna buy some real hefty gloves for next time an idiot decides that their turn holding Longpoint in a practice drill is their opportunity to practice cutting hands.

This post brought to you entirely by my left hand in what I presume to be a novel reason in the history of the internet.

Get good gloves, it is extremely worth it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Perestroika posted:

So, after moving house, it turns out my new place is basically right around the corner from an active HEMA club. I've long since wanted to give it a try, and now I basically have no excuse left not to.

Well, except maybe one: I haven't really been doing any sort of regimented sport or workout for about two years now, and combined with a sedentary job I ended up rather out of shape. Not a :btroll: or anything, but without much in the way of stamina or muscle strength. So now I'm wondering whether there's some recommended baseline fitness for HEMA? Could I just roll up there and achieve the necessary degree of fitness in the course of regular training without too much trouble (they're doing Longsword, Messer, and Sword & Buckler, if that's relevant)? Or should I rather spend a couple of months doing some strength training or w/e before starting, so I don't get winded three swings in? If the latter, are there any exercises that are particularly relevant?

Just do it. Your forearms will be incredibly sore the first week but you'll adjust fast. Also once you're doing it you'll have a much better idea what exercises would actually help you most.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rio posted:

I had not heard of a Feder and looked up some info on it. Seems very interesting and from what I can gather was/is a two handed fencing sword but I’m not clear on something. Was it used to safely use longsword techniques when not intending to hurt someone or is it it’s own distinct thing with separate techniques from the longsword? Was it ever used for actual fighting or is it only historically a fencing sword?

Feders are just a training tool for longswords, the historical examples were presumably used the same way we use them now-sparring with a bit more safety than a blunt longsword. As such the techniques are the same with the caveat that binds won't work quite right without an edge.

Now if you really want to look into it, I think there's a deep rabbit hole of nerds screaming at each other about Meyer and whether some of his stuff may be better suited for sporting duels with feders as opposed to mortal combat.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Regenyei and Chlebowski are both popular at my school, because they are jack of all trades good, affordable, and durable.

I've never met anyone who bought their ideal feder first and just stuck with that exact type forever. Your abilities, preferences, and habits will likely lead you in different directions as your skills develop. I started out with a Pavel Moc and loved it for a while but now use a Chlebowski and prefer it.

I like my Chlebowski but the delay on delivering my order was absurd so I can't really recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The KneePro is great and cheap. Definitely recommend.