Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi thread,

I took a French/Sport Fencing 101 class like 5-7 years ago. It was fun and I quickly bought my whole kit, but didn't stick with the hobby very long after that. Since then my lame, glove, mask and foil have sat in their bag in my closet and hasn't seen the light of day.

Then about 2 months ago a coworker who does HEMA got me to sign up for their Longsword 101 class and it's been pretty fun. Fortunately I'm able to recycle my old mask, but the lame & glove aren't strong enough, and obviously the foil isn't applicable. The coach at the HEMA club said they don't have any use for my old blade, so I'm not sure what to do with it. I reached out to my old fencing club this morning asking if I could donate it but haven't heard back yet -- they haven't been active on social media since last July, I don't even know if they're still in business.

To my untrained eye I would say it's in very rough shape:

All 4 sides on the lower ~quarter of the blade are about that rusty, but the upper 3/4 aren't nearly as bad. Maybe someone who knows how to care for it could "fix" it, I have no idea.

Couldn't guess if I paid $50, $100, $150 for it and can't find the receipt in my email, but I assume I bought it from Absolute Fencing as that's the brand of the bag & mask I own.

Assuming the fencing club is both still in business and doesn't want it, anyone know what I can do with it? I'm in the US and would gladily give it to a goon [you pay shipping].

The HEMA coach said I could use it for their side-sword class, but at this point I have little desire to branch out from longsword just because learning 1 weapon is challenging enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I appreciate the effort post but you definitely misread it :v: I am looking to get it out of my house, but I didn't want to just chuck it in the garbage.

It's not an electric one you'd be able to use in tournaments, just a regular old practice one.

e; although re-reading mine I can see how it could've been worded more clearly in a few spots

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2022