Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zeitgueist posted:

Stabbychat: Do you think that separating tournaments by gender is an appropriate thing to do in fencing? What about a woman's tournament and a unisex tournament both as an option?

This is apparently a hotbutton issue on the historical swordfighting group I read.
When I fenced in college (mid-90s), women's sabre in NCAA literally Wasn't A Thing. I thought it was insane at the time and looking back at it, it seems even more insane. We did eventually fence women but they were effectively just fencing on their schools' men's team.

semihippie posted:

Epee Fencer checking in. Why Epee? You have a longer competitive shelf life. Foil is dominated by very tiny 14 year olds. Saber is too crazy pants. There are older epee fencers who are still competitive at the national levels.
This is very true. At ~34 I decided to hang up the sabre. Years of lovely balestras and bad genes destroyed all of the cartilage in my right knee. I miss it, but it's brutally painful.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

South Coast Fencing (near South Coast Plaza/edge of Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley/Santa Ana) is a great club for sport fencing. I fenced there on and off for about two years.

http://www.southcoastfencing.com/

Edit: I believe that center is also used by the HEMA South Coast group.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Well, card-able "Brutality" often seems pretty subjective in sport fencing, especially at the lower levels where competence/control is generally low.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tsunemori posted:

In general, how fit are fencers?

EmmyOk posted:

Just be Italian and you are automatically a brilliant foilist :biotruths:

* Results may vary.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There was at least one Renaissance fighting style that specifically de-emphasized linear movement, La Verdadera Destreza.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destreza