Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

The thing is I'm not necessarily counterattacking when it happens. I'm maintaining my defensive position, and the attacker is literally running into my weapon. It's where imo things like right of way tend to break down. It assigns absolute roles to individuals (attacker/defender) when in actual swordplay offensive actions have to be defensive simultaneously rather than after-the-fact. It's the difference between swordplay and electric tag.

Here's what you're missing from Olympic fencing, all the conventions start with "the attack" being an axiom. There is no real "defensive position" that would compromise the attack. The two closest you'll get is point-in-line and attack in preparation. Point-in-line is literally defined as an offensive-defensive position in the rulebook, and attack in prep requires, well, an attack. Both options are offensive, which goes back to the conventions starting from "the attack" and working from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

You're right, but I was thinking more of those times when someone decides to lunge from extension distance. I guess you should still be getting the hell out of dodge if you see that coming at you, though.

Anyway, stabbing chat: to parry an attack to your outside lower line, do you guys prefer octave or seconde?

I protect my flank with 2, because I can't count to eight. :colbert:

Sabre joke.

kznlol posted:

I did Fencing in high school (I was a weird rich kid at a weird rich kid's school), and my abiding memory is that it did actually hurt (not enormously, but enough to be more than simply unpleasant) to get hit, even with foils, let alone epee/sabre. It is entirely possible we had badly fitted equipment and whatnot, though.

My first question is sort of a pedagogical one - our instructor was rather insistent that we used french grip weapons so that we'd use our fingers, not our wrists. As a rebellious idiot of a teenager, I disobeyed immediately and acquired a pistol grip, and after becoming much less of an idiot have always idly wondered if I should have listened to the instructor. My second question is more loosely related to teaching methods - I recall being taught various parries named in accordance with french numbers, and drilling them relentlessly, but the speed with which fencers engage in competition seems to preclude anything except pre-planned sequences or nearly reflexive reactions - how can engagements be more than a rather more complicated version of rock/paper/scissors when speeds are so high (I know they must be but it boggles my mind)?

Starting with the French grip can be used for a number of reasons by coaches. There is likely something to forcing the action to come from the fingers rather than the wrist, but, even still, newer caches are starting to break way from that. You're definitely find coaches nowadays quickly getting their student into using pistol grips, because, in the end, that's what most will use, outside of a handful of epee pommellers.

The second is funny because it was a question similar to what Achmed had in the martial arts thread that caused this thread. The simply answer is muscle memory with a good bit of intuition. Is my opponent doing a beat from outside? Probably going to attack my outside line. Even the exchange posted by Gadamer is is relatively simple.Chamley-Watson parries (lateral) 7 and ripostes with a flick to the back. Once you're no longer thinking "drop the tip, move hand, and lock tip," you're parries will get much quicker.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zeitgueist posted:

I said I was going to stop but I don't get the sense that this is at all a thread destroying conversation, so I'll keep responding.

I don't feel that "move better" is a gender-based thing, I think that's footwork training and technique, and I can't imagine there's a specific biometric reason men would "move better. I also don't know that the men are significantly quicker than the women, maybe slightly but not a massive difference.

Here's a quick unisex bout in rapier from the first SoCal swordfight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVmxMbeuleU

I don't feel that the woman is any slower here, and she does win the match against a taller, presumably stronger opponent.

I will quickly point out that this bout is from the first round, where, typically, higher seeded competitors fence against significantly lower seeded ones. Also, the woman appears to be a much better fencer, especially at the technically level. She moves more comfortably and is in control of the bout for its entirety.

As to the point of contention, yes there is a difference between men and women, and high level competitions should be separated. There are some pretty basic physiological differences between men and women and to pretend otherwise hinders one gender's development over another, typically women. If you look at the current world records for runs, the women's times are slower than the men's. In fact, for the 100 m, mile, and marathon, no woman makes it into the men's top ten results.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Waaaait a minute, is that actually a sabre thing? My coach is a sabreur and he loves seconde for that. I find it a bit slower than octave, just because I have to spin my wrist from supinated to pronated.

Yes, 2 covers flank, or inside low line, and, for sabre, is the only one that does so. After 4 the numbers for sabre and the point weapons no longer line up. Hell, sabre has two less parries than the others, with 7 instead of 9.

Thinking technically, using 2 in sabre doesn't have the same limitations as it does in the other because it's a cutting weapon. A cut to back is a pretty quick riposte from 2.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stolennosferatu posted:

Northern orange County. I don't really know what I'm looking for. What's the easiest to do if I want to go to a class let's say, once a week at most?
Do I need to dedicate more time than that?

I'm in the opposite side of the country, but I can point you to the local US Fencing (Olympic fencing's NGB) division to find clubs close to you. There's the Orange Coast Division covering Orange County. From looking through them, most seem reasonable and of a decent enough quality. The only one I can vouch for is Salle D'Asaro for sabre, because I recognize Coach D'Asaro from national events.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

Well, card-able "Brutality" often seems pretty subjective in sport fencing, especially at the lower levels where competence/control is generally low.

Including how a blow with the guard is "Brutality." :downs:

Subjectivity is involving in all refereeing, from foil to baseball. Just be careful about telling epeeists, some of them can't handle that. The trick is to make it so that you can align yourself with what others are, mostly, doing.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Point taken. I guess I'm just spoiled by the electric machines.

I kind of sounded like I was putting down historical fencing in my original post, which wasn't my intention at all. I was just explaining my perceptions on how they establish priority.

What makes you think I'm talking about historical fencing? The box doesn't automatically make epee a pure, objective sport.

The brutality thing was a joke at local-only refs and how popular misconceptions can be. As in, I remember being told brutality including things like blow with bell guard. Well, this is patently false as blow with bell is a Group 2, simple red card, and brutality is a Group 4, an automatic black card.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Scratch, are you in the east or west coast? Just curious if I could guess at the club, even though it's highly unlikely of course..

Tsunemori posted:

Here's a question which I hope isn't too rude.

In general, how fit are fencers? I'm asking because the last club I went to (as a beginner) had a very strange number of people with... odd body shapes. Most of them were either thin/lanky teenagers, or older men with beer guts (or some sort of disproportionate lumps). There were maybe two or three adults with athletic bodies. The coaches didn't look too fit. Is this normal for many advanced, non-competitive fencers? Or is this an early warning signal to look for a different club?

You just described every epee fencer I have ever met. Except for the age part, age has no bearing on body type, except the older are more likely to have beer guts.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

De Nomolos posted:

Guess I may as well ask: anyone in the DC area been to Virginia Academy of Fencing in Springfield? It's 4 hours away for me, but it looks like a hell of a club and shop and I'm up there a lot.

It is a hell of a club, and I do see it represented at National events. If you're looking for epee, I'd recommend DCFC.

At 4 hours, are you Virginia or Pennsylvania? Both regions have clubs that would be much closer to you and more of what you're looking for. There's nothing wrong with going to a "non-competitive" club, so long as the club is active in local events.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's silly, but drunk refs are worse. We have to discuss touches, actions, and rules several times during the night of drinking (AKA, every night). Including for body demonstrations.

As an aside, are there any other active refs here?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GlassLotus posted:

It's a Spanish grip foil, not Italian. Don't listen to the turtle, he lies :P What he meant was it was made in Italy, not that the grip is Italian.

The Spanish tang is a bit longer than the French, meaning my unbroken french blade wouldn't work with the Spanish grip and pummel because it's too short in the first place. Turt settled on getting a Spanish offset sword but I don't know what we'll do with my dad's sword. I kind of want to mount it on a wall or something but I really liked the grip so I'm not sure.

Huh, I know a guy showed up using one at an old club of mine a while back. He had to switch to a legal grip when he started going to USFA tourneys, but he was using an electric blade with it. I'll have to do some digging and see what he was using.

And, hell, if you can wait until JO's the weekend after next, I'm sure one of the armorers or vendors can clue me into who might be making compatible blades. :shobon:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 4, 2015

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

BirdOfPlay, what's the worst thing you've ever had to card someone over equipment-wise?

A left-handed kid wearing a righthanded jacket in epee. It was at Nats and the parents had just gotten it stenciled. I've also carded for gloves once or twice.

Luckily, the armorers have a do-hickey that tests French grips at NACs for epee. It's nice, because testing those are a pain in the butt to do.

El Spamo posted:

Speaking of (il)legal grips, I nearly got dinged one time for having too much tape on my french grip. I had it bulked up with layers of duct tape and sports tape to the point where it was molding ridges around where I gripped it. Plus it was ugly as hell, which I think is also a factor in determining the legality of tape on a grip. If you tape your french, make sure it's neat. I was fairly new to the tournament scene (and it was a small local tournament) so I the ref gave me a friendly warning instead of actually carding me for bad equipment.

That. That would have to be a poo poo ton of tape. I mean, you'd have to be making ridge out of it for it to be illegal. For example, the Prat sabre grip would be illegal if put on any other weapon because of the trigger.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

What's your opinion on long arms in epee being OP and needing nerf?

I would make a joke about the FIE doing something about it, but then I remembered the French. :france:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Interesting, thanks. FWF have some buzzy looking gloves with some sort of gel inserts, have you ever seen those?

Also, I dabble in sabre a little, how do the combination gloves work and are they worth considering? It would just be convenience for me, though - I don't normally do competitions, but at the same time I don't mind paying a bit more to have something nicer/stronger.

They're decent enough gloves. If you do more than just sabre, I'd recommend getting a manchate (cuff) over a sabre glove.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

Do any of you have experience judging matches? I'm loving awful at it apparently, and I'm curious what it is that people are looking at because I apparently can't make good calls.

Ignore a lot of what Shamo said.

Watch bouts/matches. A lot of them. And try judging them. A lot of them.

Sport fencing doesn't have any special pedagogy beyond that. Seriously, the only thing we have going for us is a loving century of doing it, so there are old people that can and do mentor the younger/junior refs. There's no textbook. No curriculum. Just a lot of trying.

Oh and failing. Failing a whole bunch.

There's a reason why the officials' hotel at national events is required to have a bar, and it sucks when it closes at 11 because it's a Monday. :rubshands:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
First off, should mention that I was originally responding to Veri with assumption that they were looking to crib notes from Olympic fencing to get a handle on HEMA stuff. Second, all my experiences come from being an active ref for the past few years with US Fencing, or USFA, and with working national tournaments, i.e. the North American Cups or NAC's.

By no curriculum, I just mean that there's nothing that sets up a schedule of learning a la what you'd see in a college class. Honestly, the system is really ad hoc, and the FOC (Fencing Officials Commission) doesn't really care about you unless you're competent enough to work at NAC's. Before you reach that level of being seen at NAC's (and, of course, being found lacking), mentors come in the form of senior refs (likely Ref Examiners with 3's or better in multiple weapons), experienced local refs, and your buds at the club who have a feeling about RoW and the rules in general. Typically, you're work your way through that in reverse order. I wouldn't hold this as being a model to exemplify, because it's just too much of a passive system. If you need more and more trained and skilled refs an you're burning out the ones you have, you can't sit and wait for some dumbass (see: me) to come and make the slog.

Gadamer posted:

Also worth checking out some of the material posted on the FOC website.

There is some stuff there, but the most important is the current USFA Rulebook that is keeps up to date in a very profession .pdf (it has page links from the table of contents!). Even the ref handbook is dated to 2012, and poo poo's changed since then. Non-combativity, passing, wiring in epee, corps-a-corps. Hell, the two big articles about foil RoW are written by Bill Oliver, and, nothing against Oliver, but why don't we get Doug "Best Foil Ref in the World*" Finlay to rewrite those?

*circa 2012

Oh, and Spamo, I was kinda sloshed and was bothered by the "epee = easy" remark. I'm not going to say it's not the easiest, but easy? Not hardly. I see that mentality coming from this stupid notion that epee is purely objective while foil and sabre are completely subjective and arbitrary. Both of those opinions are bullshit, there's a fair amount of interpretation in epee and the conventions are, like, 95% locked down.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Have any of you ever had parents/coaches threatening you because you didn't call in favour of their little Timmy? Just asking out of morbid curiosity.

No, I've never been a part of any of those serious meltdowns that occasionally happen. I've had coaches of accuse me of lying during an appeal twice now but that's the worst, thus fair. Hell, haven't even used my black card yet.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

powertoiletduck posted:

That's one of my favourite "US only" rules. Your armoury team can get really wound up about very little things.

Just found out I'm on the reserve list to referee the world championships, haven't had an FIE gig higher than a world cup/GP since 2012, so that's nice.

Haha. Fun fact: the wiring silliness didn't come from our armorers. In fact, I'm willing to bet our (AKA, the US's) head armorer had to twist himself into a corkscrew to write up the defense of it. But hey, could be worse, it could be about what constitutes crossing the lateral at the end of the strip. :shobon:

And cool dude, where is it this year? I really don't keep up with the FIE calendar and World Champs always sneaks up on me.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Congrats! Not that I wish anything bad upon the other refs, but here's hoping you get to ref some awesome matches.

What's the epee wiring rule?

It's a strange interpretation of the protection against cheating via a button, ala Boris Onishchenko during the Pentathon at the 1976 Olympics.

To ensure that there is not hidden button or device, the two wires of an epee must be separate and visible from the guard to the socket. This is the main thing a ref is checking for when they lift up your pad. It's also why opaque tape is not allowed; a ref needs proof that there is no switch or button.

Now several (i.e. drat near all) equipment manufacturers have a groove or channel cut into the socket to allow the wire to run through and be held in place. Now, this "mouse hole" (as it is popularly dubbed) means that a ref cannot see the wires for about an inch, because they are between the socket and the bracket it is screwed into.

:spergin: ref says: "Obviously, a button could or device could be hidden there! This is no not allowed at any US Fencing competition."

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow. I'd heard about this but never read up about it, that's some pretty brazen stuff. I did hear there was a rumour that Onishchenko was pressured into using the doctored weapon by officials, even though he obviously didn't need it - nothing substantiated, of course. :tinfoil:

I'll have to go have a closer look at my epee tonight... I replaced the blade a while back but didn't think about this kind of thing, only about how to lay the wire out so that it wouldn't fatigue.

I'd always thought that epee pretty much refs itself; can you give a bit of detail on the main things that get argued about?

Epee: easiest to ref? Sure, why not. Easy to ref? No.

I'd say the main things are when a halt occurs and if the following touch was valid. Valid touches mainly come from an action to being "late" or not, and very rarely do I get into an argument about whether a given action was a "riposte". Sometimes people really want non-combativity to be called, even if one of the criteria hasn't been met. But really, any call, at any time can induce much whining. Two examples that come to my mind are not calling jostling at a local and retesting a weapon at JO's.

At the local, it seemed pretty straight forward. Fencer on the Left fleches a little out of distance. Fencer on the Right does a simple, but far outside, bind to 6 and attempts a riposte a little before FotL reaches him. FotR misses the riposte and is knocked down when FotL passes into his arm. I wait to see FotR get up, call simple corps a corps, and reset the fencers. Right's coach is upset and makes a fuss about the call. I was perfectly fine with the call because FotR wasn't a passive participant and, in fact, caused the contact that got himself knocked down.

At JO's in February, I'm doing a pool in a men's event that had been going smoothly. One fencer's weapon worked through most of the testing but failed when they tested guards. I checked to make sure it wasn't the bodycord, gave him a Yellow for the weapon, and told him to get his spare. His spare comes up and doesn't fire. Again, I tell him to disconnect and test the bodycord which, now, isn't working. Ok, I think, maybe the cord finally went out now. I instruct him to get his spare cord and then retest the first weapon, and, if it passes, he'll just have the one card for the bodycord. His opponent's coach (who is a ref) was positively aghast that I would do such a thing. I calmly, but firmly tell him "No, this is how it's done," but that just leads him immediately to start calling for bout committee. Now, luckily, he's in no position to demand an appeal. I turn to his fencer and am like "Do you really want to?" Luckily, he was tired of this poo poo too and just wanted to fence. With that, I finished the check and got the bout on the way; even though I was pissed I had to deal with the circus and finished my pool late.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

Just curious, but are American fencers generally good?

Depends on the weapon (and gender). Women's Sabre we've always ha a good showing, what with Zagunis getting the first two Olympic Golds EVER. Men's Epee has had some good years, but Men's Sabre hasn't been much to write home about.

Our Men's Foil team is really starting to pickup, though, and is a big product of the youth development. I mention this, because half the squad was at NCAA Champs.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Anyone know why two of the Div1 NACs next season are in the DC/VA area and stacked pretty close both location and time-wise to ROCs in the region? Or is this just an artifact of it being the first time I've ever really looked at the NAC schedule?

e: vvv That's really cool.

NAC's and ROC's are done separately and created from different processes. NAC's are completely handled by US Fencing and are based on negotiations with convention centers, usually invovling how much the center will pay US Fencing (seriously). Gone are the days of divisions bidding on hosting a NAC.

ROC's, on the other hand, are bidden on by individual clubs/divisions with a set date and venue in mind. After the committee (forget which one) receives the all bid packets for the season, they weigh them out based on the "regions" and grant them accordingly.

The artifacts in this are actually just the result of these two systems acting independently of each other. I also feel like ROC's are decided before the NAC schedule is finalized.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Hey, a fencing thread! Just as I was starting to think "I wonder if I could start a fencing thread...". How much do we make fun of the fencing.net forums here?

Read the whole thread (seriously, it's 13 pages, I have more to catch up on with either the Political Cartoon or US Pol in D&D). We do surprisingly little about discussion about F.net here, even though it is the Reddit of the fencing world.

See the 5 active threads on F.net about the qualification paths to Summer Nationals. Even though they FUCKNG KNOW that Junior Men's Epee was an incomplete 512 after cutoffs. I had to look it up to confirm, but they were 290 motherfuckers that continued to DE's. I know, for a fact, that the final for that event occurred after 1 AM, and the event started at 8 AM.

I'm sorry, but am I ranting?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's a system that was designed in the 60's (30's for epee) and hasn't changed.

Seriously, from an engineering stand-point, how is using a Cat-5 in your foil better than the single wire currently used? I ask because most people (including loving engineers and designers of modern systems) fail to ask this question before redesigning something.

The main good from the current system is that it doesn't generate false positives. A broken blade constantly fires in foil and never fires in epee. Both are trivial to prove that the weapon is faulty rather than something else in the system.

EDIT: In regards to broken weapons, there's a reason most serious epeeists have 3+ weapons at tournaments. poo poo just sometimes doesn't work. It happens and sometimes you get a card for it. I see this at every major event I work, especially in pools. One bout, the weapon is fine, and the very next bout, something happens. Tip screw goes missing. A spring weakens. If you haven't had one of your weapons act weird, you haven't been fencing long enough or you do sabre.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 30, 2015

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

curious lump posted:

Can anyone recommend a good fencing school near Renton or Seattle? Not really interested in learning, per se, but free sparring and the like.

What weapon? I'm not on the West Coast, but do know people out that way.

Kim Jong ill posted:

Anywhere good is not going to let you gently caress around hitting people if you're not willing to learn and drill.

This is a fair point. You do have a background in fencing, yes? Within the past 6 months? I'm not really comfortable pointing you to a friend's club if you're a dumbass.

Verisimilidude posted:

See, I've always heard that with knees any damage is easily avoidable if you're careful not to hyper extend. People have told me that if anything fencing (in general) is actually good for the knees.

Maybe, but this is still a sport, being able to push yourself beyond "safe" is a part of the game. Sometimes it's that extra 5% that scores that touch. I've heard of foil coaches that expect your back-foot to slide at least a foot during a lunge, or else, you're simply not lunging, period.

Of course, I'm talking in regards to the truly competitive side. If you're just starting out, you need to learn your safe limits before you can push them.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 20, 2015

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My Facebook feed has exploded with people talking about blazers and flying. This means Summer Nats (and the July Challenge! :krad:) starts in 9 hours or so in San Jose, CA. Does this mean the everyone on the US team will be fencing for top honors for this season? Hell no! That happened in March for Division I (the ones that go to the Olympics), with Juniors and Cadets at JO's in February and Wheelchair in April. This is the Champs for everybody else, with the July Challenge being a regular Div 1, Junior, and Cadet NAC. Except it's not a NAC, because somebody promised there wouldn't be a NAC, hence "Challenge." God, this sport is so stupid sometimes

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any live broadcasting of even the bouts in the semis, because as mentioned previously it's not the championship for our top fencers. The bright side is everyday US Fencing will be posting bouts from the video rounds (Round of 8, typically) on their Youtube channel. Even better, the first few days is the "Challenge," so these will be some good bouts to watch.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Either that or my coach will finally convince me to start reffing nationally...

Do it! Especially if you're afraid you won't get a drinking problem, because the best ref mentoring occurs at the bar.

Seriously, if you enjoy the sport and have a knack for reffing, do it. It's fun, challenging, and, sometimes, you get paid to do it! Yankees can gently caress off in regards to being paid. :bahgawd:

quote:

and I'll shoot myself on the floor somewhere around day five in Div3 women's epee.

Oh that's cute. Have you seen Div3 Women's Foil? What about a youth event with both fencers crying? There is worse than Div3 Women's Epee. So much worse.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Jesucristo you ref an awful sport

All sports are awful to ref, believing otherwise is naive. Only ref if you want to see the absolute dredges of the sport.

That said, Summer Nats just ended, and I'm already getting emails for tourneys for the upcoming season. Oh well, they can't keep me at a 6 forever! Right? Of course they can. :suicide:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

So what do you guys like to do against absence-of-blade attacks? I really hate those.

I find the blade, and then finish with an attack. Granted, I do sabre, so "finding the blade" is an appropriate reaction to "opponent is making the blade hard to find." Other solutions include feinting counters, playing with distance, and even going point in line to swap priority.

How much do you know about tempo?

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Absence of blade can mean any time the blades aren't engaged... So like, most of the bout. Different areas will apply terminology differently, so advice for dealing with whatever Crazy Achmed is referring to will depend on the situation/weapon.

I think, given their experience level, it's a safe bet that Achmed is just describing bog-standard marching attacks in foil.

Ravenfood posted:

Attacks? Retreat. An absence-of-blade general fencer? Control the distance and play footwork games with several feinted attacks until they're slightly off their guard, then fleche.

Does any of this involve bouncing? I have it on good authority bouncing is bad.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 19, 2015

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

If a guy with a handlebar mustache comes to the club with a fixie, I'm going to assume he fences epee.

I think I saw that guy at Milwaukee.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

powertoiletduck posted:

Sorry, missed this question. Yep, after we are selected by the FIE the competition organisers pay for flights, 3 meals a day and accomodation whilst we are at the competition. Sometimes we share a twin room with another referee but more and more they find us single rooms which is greatly appreciated. On top of that we get €80 (~$100) a day, including travel days, that cover all other incidentals, bar bills, and a bit of pocket money.

Are you out at San Jose or is foil not your bag?

For those not in the know, San Jose is hosting a Foil World Cup as we speak. Unfortunately, they don't have any live feeds up, but videos should be on the FIE's channel next week eventually. If you really need to know what's going on, USFA is streaming results here. It looks like they're still just starting the DE's in Round #2.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Black card half the field at random so NACs stop fencing rounds of 256 after the cutoff.

Shrinking NAC's are a vast USFA conspiracy and a bad thing.
- F.net posters

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

IOC allegedly said to the FIE that we're out of the Olympics if noncombarivity happens again

I've heard that, too, but does anyone have an actual source? Or is this just another hobby horse of the new FIE president (a la timing changes in sabre)? It just seems more than a little over the top. To be fair if fencing left the Olympics, it would be the death of the sport. While I would like to say it wouldn't happen, the IOC still only gives us 10 medals for 12 events (they're misogynists).

I really didn't think noncombativity was that big of a thing? During the Pan Am's in Toronto, there was this team match between Cuba and Venezuela that ended 2-3, but that seems to be hardly the norm.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I wish I was good enough to get into reffing, but I have a long way to go if I want to try that.

Everyone's poo poo at reffing when they start. Hell, if you're not going to NAC's, you're probably poo poo at reffing (in the general case). I say this as someone that goes to NAC's and is still poo poo at reffing.

So, we've cast aside those silly reasons not to ref, what are your real hang ups? Can't see actions? Can't see where hits are being made? I can't teach you how to ref via a comedy forum, but I can get you started down that path if you are at all interested. And if you're in my division, I'm begging you to get started. I'm tired of being the only one.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I, uhh, still don't buy it as a thing that will happen. This almost makes me want to work Kansas City just to waste a night drinking whiskey and learning what the inside scope is.

Also, Shin A-Lam didn't involve noncombativity if I recall?

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 27, 2015

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

As for me, I'm a bit slow and sometimes have trouble recognising more complex actions - at least reffing foil and sabre, anyway. Epee would hopefully be easier from that point of view, I hope... The other thing, though, is more perception and politics: I don't pretend to be good enough to compete on a serious level despite having fenced for a long time, high school kids will wreck my poo poo. I get the feeling that I won't be taken seriously unless I pull finger and improve my own fencing a lot first.

I have never had a rating as a fencer. I have a 5 in epee, a 6 or 5 in foil, and a 6 in sabre.

Honestly, Dupe and Nike have the best advice, just do it. Start with the weapon you know and go from there. Epee isn't exactly fun to do at the club, because not a lot will happen. Foil and sabre would be the way to go in that regard. Recognizing what is an attack is 80% of the right of way weapons.

I would suggest waiting until you get comfortable with reffing before attending a seminar.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Me this Sunday:

No, sir. We can't move to a different strip.
No, we already switched reels. I don't think a third reel will change things.
If it wasn't working on a previous strip and isn't work here it, then it must be an issue with your fencer's equipment.
Why are you yelling at me?

Epee, easiest weapon to ref!

Bonus, I had a fencer stand motionless for the first minute and a half in a pool bout against a notoriously passive opponent. How notoriously passive? I reffed a DE of his that finished 1-0, in priority.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Of course not. Everything's fine with epee. Now sabre, that needs some tweaking. I think a longer lockout time and shorter en garde distance will solve everything. :geno:

The 1-0 bout would've taken around 4 minutes. Remember, the O/T minute due to non-combativity is fenced for it's entirety.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Craig of F.net has an early report out about the rule changes No black cards for non-combativity, but the sabre changes will be attempted. Also, Vet events are still free, while everyone else has to pay more.

The distance change is, by far, the stupidest of the bunch. Sabreurs will now start with their back front on the line, instead of front foot. Where will the front foot go, who knows? :shrug:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

As a foilist that sometimes moonlights as a sabreur, hooray for more time to parry!

I would think about as far away from the guard line as the back foot used to be. That'll put the fencers at around restart distance from each other (always funny trying to restart sabreurs from some place other than the guard lines), although I wonder if two fencers could be tall enough to actually be closer than restart distance.

I'm sure exploits are there to find, but they'd have to grapple with t.17.11 saying "The fencers must come on guard correctly and remain completely still until the command “Fence” is given by the Referee" (my emphasis). What "come on guard correctly" means is left to the user's imagination, but you'd have to convince the ref of it.

I assume this refers to the bib strap they made LP put on contour fit masks?

I will be interested in how the timing change will effect things. More time to reposte would be nice, but is it worth losing counters and remises?

This may require actual stipulations on what "en garde" is beyond the "no point in line". Interpretations will likely trickle down from the World Cups and Grand Prix, so we'll get to look forward to 2 years of settling if this thing goes official.

The LP bib strap is the only thing I think this could possibly be referencing.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

You should get this.

That's, uhh, not tournament legal. It won't pass any of the gauges. It lacks a loop at the end. Lastly, the curve of the blade is too much and goes with the cutting edge, not against.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's a joke dude. crazy achmed does olympic fencing and would probably hurt himself picking that up lol
Would've thought that breaking down why it was illegal by the rulebook instead of just saying "that sabre just ain't right" would've been an obvious joke.

quote:

what does this even mean

The bend is allowed goes left or right, as in the bend or curve of the blade must be perpendicular to the cutting edge. I can't remember what the terms are in the rulebook, and I ain't going through the materials rules to find them.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm taking a fencing class and the instructor (who isn't the varsity coach like was promised :argh:) said that beginners should only learn foil. Why is that

Also, he said that we do modern, pre-electric fencing. How is that different from classical fencing

Varsity, what school are you going to that does competitive, dry fencing?

"Everyone starts with foil" is one of the schools of thought on how to start fencing. Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a strong pedagogical reasoning behind it but do know that it is a very traditional outlook.

As to "modern, pre-electric fencing" dollars to doughnuts they're using the 1970-ish Amateur Fencing League of America (becomes the USFA in the 80's) rulebook for competition, hence making it modern and not classical. Why those rules? It was last set to describe dry fencing for competitions. Is your club or school a part of the American Fencing League?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smoking Crow posted:

The varsity team is electric, but the class isn't. He didn't explain why but I inferred that he thinks it leads to bad habits

Wait, which is being done to prevent bad habits: starting with foil or starting dry? Because I have opinions on both of those stances.