Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smoking Crow posted:

I just fenced this girl who, without fail, would put her free hand on her stomach whenever my foil got anywhere close to her. I told her to quit and I still beat her, but what should I do to make her stop next time

Refuse to fence her. I don't mean to do your best to avoid fencing her by being busy with a bout. When asked, tell her, "No, because you cover target."

My guess is that she needs more coaching to break her flinchines. This isn't an inherent bad thing, unless it's not being worked on.

dupersaurus posted:

Remember: if a covering causes a touch correctly given to register as off target, you still get the point.

I have never heard of that rule being applied and have only heard guidance of "don't do it." Which, of course, makes sense, this is the only way a ref is allowed to award a touch not registered by the box.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Makes me think, surely the fie can scrape together enough money to buy some high speed cameras for replays. If the budget's tight then they could offset the cost by firing the guy who thinks it's a good idea to do those extreme close up shots on someone's guard or feet

You do know that video replay has been a thing for a while now, right? Every NAC I've worked has had 9 replay strips (2 4-strip pods and the finals strip) and sometimes 13 if there chair events, and the past two Olymipcs have had them as well.

Also, the FIE is loaded. What with the coveted Tissot sponsorship and from official appeals payments.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

General Emergency posted:

Oly Fencing: Two fitties play electric tag in a straight line.

Ehh, we still have a lot of fatties.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Future Days posted:

Seth Kelsey is the only fencer I can think of as "fat and ugly." He was a pain to watch, too - horrible guard and footwork -, but epee is like that I guess. vOv

Huh, I wasn't even thinking about our top-ranked, Olympic/Olympic-track athletes. Which just goes to show you, we have so many fatties, sometimes they go to the Olympics. And are part of the team that beat the French for the Gold when it wasn't at the Olympics

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ScratchAndSniff posted:

To clarify: I'm talking spectator only. What got me on this was seeing all the talk about the "new" professional fencing league, which is clearly doomed to fail.

Eh, I don't believe it the rules that make fencing a less interesting spectator sport. I think it has more to do with lack of exposure among the public. Even then, lots of people can still enjoy watching fencing with little exposure, especially at the top level. Goons may not be the best barometer for this, but I did do the fencing thread for the London games and was pleasantly surprised by the number of people engaged in the event. Also, the FIE has some really good commentators for their events, which helps a lot.

And yes, the professional fencing league is a ridiculous beast, I love how they devote a section to their website noting how this league has no tie to that "other" league. Why the gently caress is fencing so petty?

Siivola posted:

To go on a tangent, would sabre be more or less incomprehensible to watch without priority? :v:

This isn't your question, but stripping right of way from sabre strips away its heart. Without it, I would hang up my lame, even higher than it is already hung. I'm fat and busy.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Were any of you guys in/around the venue Thursday night?

Won't deny; I was having similar concerns when I was at the bar hearing about the events. I thought I recognized the skyline shots from the last NAC in Dallas, and I even checked to see how close the locations were from the Omni. I relaxed when I got more information about the shootings though. Still, my Facebook feed was filled with people checking in.

For those that don't know why this is relevant to fencing, Summer Nats was being held in Dallas this past week. The final day of competitions was scheduled for the 8th but was, eventually, cancelled because of the shootings.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Actually, no it didn't! Sports is hard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/sports/olympics/rio-russia-ban-doping.html?_r=0

Basically, we'll find out this week what the FIE decides to do. Given that they have two Russian fencers on their homepage; I'm going to assume that Russian fencers will compete at Rio.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Oh hey it's the Olympics already. When will the beekeepers fight?

They start this Saturday with Women's Epee - Individual and finish next Sunday with Men's Epee - Team. I believe NBC will be having the same broadcast schedule for fencing, but I'm not sure. At London, I think it was only Women's Sabre that got televised at prime time, but that would be a grave disservice to our Men's Foil team.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Anyway, anyone feel like writing up an effortpost for the olympics in SAS? I can always write up something silly, but it might be more useful if someone who actually wears white knickers did it.

I did one last time and can put up a crappy one again if no else is. It'll be crappy because I have even less knowledge of the athletes this year. At the very least I can make sure that the gif of Choi repeating stabbing his own butt with a foil is there.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's a fair question and one that isn't easy to answer. Kendo still has a very strong link to it's roots. The lightweight weapons were developed in order to practice safely at full speed.
The limited targets are there to make it harder, so that you can't just play touch and at the same time, there's quality requirements on those: You have to be fully committed, it has to be done correctly and you have to maintain control after the hit. There are no priority rules.

There are no priority rules, but attacks have to be done correctly? I fail to see the difference.

dupersaurus posted:

I think "sportify" is generally code word for "don't be like sport fencing where you kill yourself multiple times a bout but still get the point". Wusses.

"Sportify" seems to be a scareword nowadays. I just don't really understand the fear of creating rules for competition when you have active competitions.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

That's really all it needs

Done.

? There's no right of way. Who ever lands first (with sufficient quality) gets the point. There's also no such thing as simultaneous hits. Actually, that's not quite true, but 'officially' you have to make a decision...and they usually get it right.

Ehh, I was being a :spergin: about how those two things are functionally identical in fencing.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, I'm watching BBC coverage of the women's individual foil right now and the comentator is so bad I have to take a break from it. I can understand that they might not have actual fencing-savvy commentators available, but it seems like nobody even gave this guy a cheat sheet on what the rules are and he's just making stuff and terminology up as he goes.
For example: fencer A attacks, B counterattacks into it, both hit target. Fencer A wins the point as she established a threat and B did not succesfully evade or remove the threat - this is how I'd explain it to someone who was new to foil.
Their explanation? "Both fencers hit each other's protective strike zones, but the referee feels that fencer A's tip got to the strike zone sooner."

Similarly, fencer B runs fencer A down to the end of the piste, they collide (gently), the ref calls a halt just before fencer A accidentally lands a touch on target - which is disallowed since it happened after the ref stopped the bout. Simple enough, right? The comentator seemed utterly confused about this turn of events, describing it as "good fighting at close range in that striped defensive zone, fencer A strikes into fencer B's strike zone but the referee has decided that nobody scores a point".

That reminds me, I need to try and iron a crease out of my protective strike zone - the seam around the front thigh has a tendency to fold over and cover a little bit of target.

[edit]Jesus. "Both get the strike light come in... on, but... no!" Translation: attack lands on target, counter lands on target but has no priority because the threat was not removed or evaded.

You have to be making GBS threads me.

Also, you should go to the Olympics subforum. We've got a thread there and everything.

Neon Belly posted:

If anyone wants to be horrified, r/the_donald has taken a pretty deep dislike to Ibtihaj Muhammad.

I swear I only go there ironically.

You warned me, but I still went. :negative:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DerekSmartymans posted:

I'm not a fencer, yet, but would love to get into it. I followed the streams during the Olympics and they made it look fun even without knowing the meaning of everything discussed (priority, double hits sometime being worth 0/1/both fencers 1, etc.)
Different weapons have different rule sets.

quote:

I refuse to chop off fingers just to wear decent gloves, though :captainpop:. Exactly how many fingers do you need to fence?

Olympic fencing? 2 or 3. But having more is a plus.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KyloWinter posted:

Priority rules were instituted to promote this but then it's up to the judges to determine what constitutes the beginning of an attack.

I know you probably didn't mean it super harshly, but I do get really tried of this quibble. Just because the ref is interpreting the action, it doesn't mean that they're being biased or making things up. Like, I hear this from sport fencers as well and don't understand it.

I get it that I have a different perspective on this as a ref, so I assume it more from ignorance than malice. Specifically, the training and rule explanations/interpretations are very much given in the form of mentor-student, like how fencing itself is very much coach-student. So unless you've trained as a ref or had a coach who keeps up with this, you're unlikely to know that there is a justification for a marching attack, what an attack compose is, or the difference between a beat and parry. This is certainly not helped by the lack of authorized definitions and examples. Whether that is because of a desire for secrets, the concern over constantly changing definitions, or the lack of conviction on the part of the FOC or FIE is anyone's guess.

There is consensus among the international cadre over what means what, and to willfully have a contrary opinion is to do a disservice to the athletes and would put into question one's integrity.

quote:

What Matt Easton proposes is the addition of an afterblow rule to epee to promote protecting yourself before AND after the exchange because to the untrained eye, i.e. to the spectator, it just looks like two people colliding with no clear winner.

I would argue that's what it looks like to differently trained eye. The untrained eye of a sports spectator probably understands the concept of a tie and can quickly swallow both get a touch.

At a glance, the described "afterblow rule" is pretty poorly thought and is a radical departure from everything that is epee fencing. It eliminates the double touch and, possibly, makes it a penalty. It greatly increases lockout time to being about 3 times that of foil, which currently has the longest lockout of 300 ms. This would make doubles far more likely and result in far less touches being scored. I fail to see the appeal of this change.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KyloWinter posted:

I'm not sure Matt Easton was actually saying "this is the way the rule should be." I believe it was more points to think about, again, with the goal of protecting oneself.

Sorry I thought Easton's proposal was the one we were discussing, not some unknown rule that might work. :shrug:

He was saying this is what the rule should be, hence why he put out a loving video describing it. Hell, at the end of his video he even makes the brilliant deduction that serious athletes would adapt within weeks to the radical rule change he is proposing.

Also, we're not super anti-HEMA, but you're specifically couching your language in a pretentious and smug manner. I've seen phrases like "defending oneself" in reference to sport fencing far too often being used in a dismissive manner than not. You yourself even bring it up as if it would make sport fencing "better" than it is, as if it is a self-evident fact. I'm a competitive rear end in a top hat; I protect myself by winning the bout. This is why I fence.

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm not saying they should change the rules of the game. People like it for what it is, but it's moving further and further away from what "real" fencing is and was. It's a fencing game sport at this point, just like a HEMA tournament or kendo or gekken tournaments or whatever.

ftfy

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Sabre, really briefly, had a similar progression to foil in that it went cavalry weapon > practice > sportified practice. I think. Sabre is weird.

No horseys! (Yeah, I'm going to be a pedantic poo poo now.)

The ~1 pound blade matches better with the lighter officer's sabre and other cut-and-thrust swords (I may not be using that term right) than the heavy cavalry sabre (which are, what, 3-5 pounds? I know they were basically long axes). I had always believed that sabre traces its roots back to military dueling with the officers weapon, but I finally decided to do some research and was a little off. The two sources I recently read are: a historical manual, Hungarian and Highland Broadsword, and The Secret History of the Sword by J. Christoph Amberger.

Most of the big plates in Broadsword showcase cavalry which is wildly different from what you see in modern sabre. But the two plates at page 16 of the pdf showcases the need and advantage of the leg slip, something any modern epeeist understands very well. I knew that "yield leg, cut head" was a thing and saw that as a better explanation for the elimination of legs in sabre. The final large plates depict drilling on foot that, to my eyes, look quite a bit like paired drilling I'd see for sabre.

Amberger's book, being written by a historian, is very interesting and seems worth a full read in it's own right. But it's his opening section that I found most fascination, the evolution of the sabre target area. After reviewing various sources from the 19th century and early 20th, the main thrust of his argument is that the leg was banned because it's unsportsmanlike. He even points out how some Italian schools viewed blows to the wrist and elbow as being invalid as well, though that was because protection of said joints were allowed in duels. Really, the most interesting part was learning that the front leg reminded valid target, as far as the FIE was concerned, up until WWI.

If you'd like to read Amberger's book, you should be able to find it online. I found a pdf copy of it hosted on his website. I just didn't link it, because I didn't know how legal it was.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

On an unrelated note, here's a neat video for all you sabreists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ19fbXzFU
(Will probably make more sense if you also read this article.)

Yeah, I remember reading about Morehouse's rule. It may have even been through the Sydney Sabre article you posted. Obviously, it eliminates attacks in preparation off the line. If it was allowed, regardless of how tight the window was, refs would still be stuck in the position they're in now. The priority fencer also now just begins their march at "Fence", because there's no reason for a short attack when your opponent doesn't want to be hit by you. So, in that sense, it knida works in making sabre being more of the marching, long exchanges that, honestly, all sabreurs love. But I don't know if I'd throw out all of the middle just for more of that.

It's also a funny thing. As much as they decry the "Russian Box of Death", I think it's more in keeping with what sabre is over this "service rule". I've also heard others reporting positively on the decrease of distance, saying the change does improve actions off the line, both in seeing the actions decisively and in having the fencers (you know, the important part of this equation) know what's going on. Personally, I'm going to wait until after Detroit (and maybe even Milwaukee with the Juniors and Cadets) to see where I fully fall on this. I might even be able to ref sabre again! :sun:

dupersaurus posted:

(But as annoying as this discussion has been at times, it's still been a million times better than anything on fencing.net)

We will never be as bad as F.net. :colbert:

Siivola posted:

Also I really want those broadsword posters.

EDIT:
Then let me Google you some color prints.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 27, 2016

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

If anything, cutting tatami is one of the few competitions which isn't in some way artificial. It's always done in a vacuum and with a particular intent that isn't inherently combative. Perform X cut on this tatami, and do it with these criteria which are tantamount to cutting effectively and efficiently. It's only artificial if you go into it thinking its a simulator for human flesh or whatever. It's not, and it never really was intended to be. It's just a medium that helps visualize good cutting technique.

In other news: I got my bitchin' gauntlets after nearly a year of waiting and worrying the dude stole my money.

I like the separate thumbs. I take it the fingers aren't complete and only cover the tops?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Here's some classical fencing for y'all: https://www.facebook.com/swordsmanshop/videos/645824555593953/

It's kinda like foil on benzos. :shobon:

Oooo. Look at those lunges. I used to be all about Gu, but these cats just put him to shame. :swoon:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Trying to ease myself back into slightly more intense stuff after getting a nasty bit of runner's knee in my front leg (hey everyone, correct posture and lunge technique is SUPER IMPORTANT for not murdering yourself). And attempting to improve a little in all three weapons - progress is slow, but gently caress it, I'm not willing to give any up since they're all fun.
On that note, what do you do in sabre if you're attacking with a low hand position, versus someone trying to counterattack with a flicky high-hand-position downwards cut over your guard on to the top of your wrist/forearm? Like, is there some way I can adjust my guard to block these out reliably, or is this a case of needing to draw it out first before I can deal with it? (or since I have priority, just lunge further, push through and hope I don't get timed out)

I'm, obviously, not looking at your form, so I can only guess. Also, when's this happening? During your march or during your attack (i.e. the advance-lunge)? Are you bouting with the new timing?

Off the top of my head...
You're not changing you tempo enough or are working yourself into patterns. Combinations of fast, medium, or slow and long, medium, or short steps is how you create different tempos. If the only time you go fast is when you're gearing up for your attack, you're telegraphing it to your opponent. This'll also help you dictate distance better, because every time you change tempo, your opponent has to switch to match.
It sounds like your hand is overexposed and needs to be kept further back. If you're at half-extension or more, that's too much. Even when going low line, your arm should remain at it's usual guard position. Being too far out as an attacker povides little gains while exposing your wrist and blade to the defender.
If none of the above helps, withdrawing your hand and either causing your opponent to miss or land the tip fully on your guard is one of your best options. If you do do this, remember to go to a proper 3 with your tip up. If the stop hit isn't a complete miss, you want the solid hit on the guard to show parry.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Anything beginner fencing/HEMA fencing going on near Memphis? I found the local fencing club and they seem to be very newbie-friendly, but my Tuesday nights are spoken for. I pass 70 lbs. down from Weight Watchers tomorrow and am looking for something athletic that I've never tried before to get more exercise that walking on a treadmill.

Damint, this poo poo is always so hard to find. I even knew what I was looking for, and it took me several minutes to get to the Tennessee Division's wobsite. Unfortunately, it does look like Coilerville is the only club in the Memphis area. Sorry, dude.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

"Attack arrives, touch left."
"No parry?"
"Mal parre" :shrug: "En garde."

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Please, the attack clearly starts from the right. Or yeah, a double-touch in epee. Goddamn tall people.

It's a simultaneous action, and the right searches for the blade. :colbert: Or, at least, attempts to parry, but you can only be attacking or defending, so...

Isn't sabre fun!

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 26, 2016

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

The problem is that my feet create a T shape instead of an L one, so while my lunge still goes straight forward, it ends up powered from the ball of my foot instead of the whole foot. This makes my back foot turn rapier-style instead of remaining planted, and that just looks wrong.

I agree everyone else with that there is room for adjustment of the standard form in (sport) fencing to allow for comfort and use by the individual fencer. When I transitioned to sabre keeping my feet in the 'L' en garde and my shoulders perpendicular to the strip would tweak out my back knee. After I progressed and saw others doing it, I turned my back foot in, which also brought my knee in, and turned to be at a slight angle with my shoulders, and it's been much easier on my knee.

Of course, the biggest question is what does your coach say? Not because all the advice we're giving is wrong, but we're only going by your words. If your coach is seeing something and asking you to correct it, it's probably because it needs to be corrected.

quote:

On a foil note, do you guys prefer quarte or quinte? Our coach does a sort of a 4.5 and it's a bit funky.

FYI, I, and most Americans, don't refer to the parries by the French, but we still do abide the French numbering system.

The basic foil toolbox is 4, 6, 7 and 8, which, should, give you coverage over most of your target area. Reading along about the distinction, I'm not sure how you mean. You're saying it's still in the area of 4 but pronated (palm down), right? I've always done 4 and been taught with my thumb up or slight pronation. Full pronation seems like a good way to your tip flying around, making an efficient riposte difficult.

EDIT: It sounds like you don't mean a full pronation, because from a fully supinated 6 you hand does kinda turn over for a 4 but not all the way.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 4, 2016

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Such a tiny bib!

Anyone go to Detroit this weekend? I didn't work it and am curious how the rule changes were being interpreted, especially the last minute sabre change.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Nope

So it's half a meter closer on each side.

Ahahaha, it's because of t.17 (setting distance via point in line) that they're doing the change? I thought it was because of early testing showing that it was messy or something. It's been 8 months since the FIE congress that adopted this rule, and, now, some rules lawyer whipped out the rulebook and said this new rule conflicts. This is ridiculous.

I may have to stencil those faces onto my main cards. Yes, I have more than one set of cards. Don't judge me. :colbert:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 12, 2016

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

If you get one, make sure to check that it's got a second fastening strap - didn't they do a run a while back that had only one strap, which made them technically illegal for pretty much all higher level tournaments that care about gear standards?

Uhh, kinda. Their Contour-fit system was, originally, ruled to be fine at preventing the mask from pooping off. But about two years ago there were a few incidents that caused concern, this prompted the requirement of a secondary strap for these masks. The strap is affixed around the ends of the jawbones and are actually fairly loose. Still, they prevent the mask from going up and off the fencer's head, which is all that loving matters. Oddly enough, it wasn't something US refs were required to check for. :shrug:

This is, of course, entirely different from the horizontal strap requirement put in place because of Blue Gauntlet's (and maybe other's) cross-strap system...

Siivola posted:

Speaking of buying washable things, lames. Washable ones seem to be twice the price of entry-level ones and that's getting a bit steep. Should I just get a starter kit with the cheapest lame and two foils, or invest in a better lame but only one foil?

The big thing, as Duper hints at, is if you will properly take care of your lame. This means not only keeping it separate from your nasty, sweaty kit but occasionally washing it to get the salt off of it. If you're going to be serious about the sport and do it regularly, shelling out the extra bit for the "non-metallic" lames can be worth it. I say this because my first sabre lame only lasted a year or two, which means that, yes, the extra 20 bucks is worth it if it lasts over 5 years.

Ravenfood posted:

Nice thing about the swapping masks is being able to use the same mask for foil and epee without having to worry about the lame bit of the bib.

I'm pretty sure that Leon Paul is still the only approved manufacturer of those kinds of masks. They make good masks, but it's a bit of an investment for a new to (sport) fencing fencer.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fat Samurai posted:

I have my first class tomorrow! It's a small Pentathlon club, so no idea how many new guys will be there, but it's a 5 minutes walk from home. I have another class scheduled with another club next week, in case this one doesn't work out.

Any warning signals I should be looking for? Buying equipment exclusively through the club, only year long subscriptions, etc...

Cool! Is your goal to do the modern pentathlon or just fence? If it's just fence, you will be better suited with a regular fencing club. Not just because that's what you want to do, but because fencing in the Pentathlon is one-hit epee which has some quirks when compared to sport fencing.

Based on my experience with sport fencing, a good determinant is if the club is recognized by or a member of the national governing body (NGB), for example the NGB in the US is USA Pentathlon. So if the club is not a member of your country's NGB, that can be a red flag. If you're not in the US, you can look here on the website for the UIPM, the international governing body for the modern pentathlon, to find your NGB.

About buying equipment from the club, you're right about the exclusively part, but don't the the existence of a club store fool you. At least in fencing, some clubs do become dealers for equipment manufacturers as a convenience to their members.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Future Days posted:

Refereeing a senior men's epee world cup for the entire weekend. Great bouts, good money, terrible food.

https://imgur.com/gthURKY

Was at Milwaukee for the NAC this weekend. Ehh bouts, decent money, CHEESE CURDS.

I don't have any pictures, but, uhh, let's just say that things weren't as sedate as that one. Nearly 50 strips, and Saturday had a sabre team event with 33 teams. The event started at 6 PM.

Also, ugh. Is that "USA :usa:" now Us Fencing's official logo for knickers? I liked the stars better.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Future Days posted:

World Cup went great. As expected, olympic champion Park won the individual event against Fichera. The latter got red-carded thrice for touching Park's blade with his unarmed arm. As any good Italian would do, he acted like a huge baby. All four referees, the FIE supervisor, and the entire stadium called on his bullshit. Russia won the team event, with France coming in second place. Even though Russian epeeists don't shine in the individual event, they always do great in the team events. Korea's team might've had the best epeeist in the world, but it's not a cohesive team like Russia's. On another note, I didn't cause an international incident this time! :v: Some coaches got yellow-carded pretty early, thankfully! (Coaches count as spectators, so after a yellow card it's a black card!)

I'm dumb, but where was this World Cup? I'm also confused, because I'm seeing non-epee friends post about being in Argentina (foil) and France (sabre). I, honestly, thought the events were more staggered than this.

Also, what are you doing for the beginning of July? You should totally come to the US for Summer Nats in beautiful Salt Lake City, Utah. If you agree to work all 10 days, they even give you 2 days off! :suicide:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uziel posted:

Anyone going to Capitol Clash next weekend in DC? I just registered for the Open Longsword!

I'll be reffing it. The SYC (Super Regional Youth Circuit) tourney, that is. I missed last year's and didn't know that a HEMA component had been added.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uziel posted:

Cool. If you see a big bald dude with a gigantic beard, that's me. Say hi. =P

I'll be the guy in the navy blavy and gray slacks, being yelled at by parents!

God, I hate SYC's.

EDIT: I meant "blazer", but I might try to find a blavy just for this event.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And these are all single handed swords? :what:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Invincible Spleen posted:

Why do you think the dudes in Capo Ferro are so ripped?

Fair point. I just don't understand why they're so naked.

Also, it's Friday which means another high school meet. So glad I got roped into reffing these. On a related note when the gently caress did they last make velcro jackets? VELCRO!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HEY GAIL posted:

in addition to the part where everyone's flaking out over classical antiquity, if you draw the example dudes naked you can study their body movements in a way that you won't be able to if they were wearing normal 17th century clothing

I don't know what you're talking about. :geno:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you bend your arm, that's a preparation. That means the attack ends. Irrespective of what your opponent is doing.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

However, since then, there was also this incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KDv--4hXAU&t=10737s

This is a mess. The Portuguese kendoka was thrown by being pushed to the face or upper arm by the Czech kendoka. They had become entangled just before though and the Czech's weapon was completely out of play.

I don't really know how kendo approaches bodily contact, but there needs to be hard lines drawn regarding safety of the competitors.

quote:

The coach of the Portuguese team can protest, but I'm sure that he was more concerned about the health of his athlete to worry about that.

Minor quibble, but if the coach thought it was worth it, they would've fought for something. Especially given that their athlete was injured, and the kendoka that did it would be allowed to continue instead of being DQ'ed.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Big news from the Olympics: All 12 events will be competed for at the Tokyo Olympics. And the FIE has released a presser about it as well, in case it wasn't obvious from the other link.

For those not in the know, when Women's Sabre was added to the Olympic roster at Athens, the IOC did not grant fencing extra medals for the individual and team competition. This meant that the FIE recognized 12 events (men's and womens, individual and team, for 3 weapons) but only had 10 slots for Olympic recognition. This forced the FIE, in the lead up to each Summer Olympics, to decide which 2 events would be fenced at the World Champs pity arena separate from the main event. Unfortunately, there are rumors that this deal was able to be struck because the team events will only consist of 3 athletes, nixing the alternate position.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

:popeye: Everything's bigger in America, I guess! This year's Norway Open only had 36 longsword fencers.

Over 4,000 fencers will be at the US Fencing Summer Nationals and July Challenge in Salt Lake City, which is a 10 day event. The bigger events in fencing here just get ridiculous at times. For us in the Olympic side, we've got a lot of officials (refs, armorers, and bout committee) that do an incredible job keeping these things running smoothly.

I'm actually curious how the HEMA tourneys manage it, given y'all have much greater space concerns. I was working the Capitol Clash this year which also has the DC HEMA Open under its umbrella for the weekend. The Clash probably had around 30 strips for the 1,000+ kids that'll be competing over the 3 days, but the HEMA event only looked like their had about 9 rings setup for over 100 fencers.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

A respected HEMAist posted on social media about how the injury rates in HEMA are too high, and how people go into tournaments with a "crush your opponent" mindset. This mindset leads to people swinging way harder than need to in order to be an effective swordsman, and leads to a lot of unnecessary injury. Injury rates in sparring are also pretty high, and a lot of schools don't come down on students who hit way too hard.

The response was a mix of approval and dismissal.

Dismissal of this (changing the mindset of fencers) being a way to combat injuries or dismissal of the fact that injury rates are too high in competitions? For the second, my understanding is that it's kind of a big issue and should be solved. I believe you mentioned a couple of years ago there were numerous broken bones at one of the major tourneys? If that's still the case, that ain't cool.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He's totally covering target with his foot.

look at that reversal of shoulders.

I guess you can just run over your opponents if you have a World Cup gold.

God, where do they get these amateurs from? :smug:

Did I miss any wrong takes for that clip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shot 1
Why. Why couldn't he have done a few more takes on that opening? It looks like he forgot who made the drat thing! I mean, it was probably just to match the word with the step, but even that's dumb and doesn't really add anything.

Shot 2
What was that zoom after the intro credits? If you forgot to zoom in for a 3/4 (American, for my French readers) shot, cut and restart. If you did that on purpose, you are a dumb. Nothing was happening and the change was too small for that (but still big enough to be noticed.) Also, there is no need for those minor camera adjustments, which, again, are just big enough to be noticed. Let him work the frame, you've given him enough space to work with.

Shot 3
This shot is far too long. With his hits lacking punch* and his bad form, the slow down adds nothing. Honestly, a montage sequence of slow, impactful* hits would've been a better replacement for this shot. Audiences already read montages as a lengthy passage of time; you don't need to bore them with an over-long, slowed-down shot to get the same message across.

Shot 4
Again, fluubbed a line. Why go speech -> take cutting stance -> cut pumpkin -> resume speech? Either: take longer getting into you stance and add a delay (builds up tension, this is a good thing!) or start out already in your stance or close to it (this would try into your followup line of how easy it is, but the timing of talking -> cut must be shorter!). And that fade out is badly timed, let the audience relish in the aftermath of your cut! But it was also an editing cover because of poor planning, I can see you about to take another swing as the fade continues.

Shots 5 through 6
Oh, so you do know what a montage is! Kinda. :geno:
Yeah, there aren't enough shots here to have a nice sequence; there's literally just 2. But hey, the shots were mostly well put together, and (see?) the slow motion feels right because people want to revel in these hits. The only problem is the hit in 6, he's gotta follow through with it. Locking up and not moving like that seems wrong next to the sliced pumpkin: this is bad tension.

Shot 7**
Waoh, there's a lot going wrong here. The camera movement isn't good, and it's especially apparent because of the framing. His head, and sometimes feet, are regularly being chopped off. He also partially leaves the frame several times, because he's not on his vertical third line. Also, I saw that zoom out.

Shot 8**
Ok, I'm legitimately impressed: that cut to closeup worked well and was nearly perfectly timed. Bravo! The problem with a close, though, is that the bad camera movement and framing issues just become even more amplified. Part of this is also because of his movement, he's far too active for this shot. Finally, we stay with this shot for too long; we should've left when he was about to get into his stance, not during it.

Shot 9**
And cut back to a full shot! Unfortunately, the actions in the first half don't really show variety, as was promised in Shot 8. The hits aren't impactful and don't speak for themselves, and any message to be communicated by the totality is lost in its length. Also, he routinely exits the frame for his final hits; where was the camera movement then? The final bit of dialogue tries to segue off of the action from the first half, but as discussed there wasn't much of a message coming from that. The message certainly wasn't to the longsword's versatility.

Shots 10 & 11
We cut to the first promotional insert after he mentioned the sword's name in the previous shot, and it becomes clear that this was an advertisement. Nothing preceding this point in the clip, save mentioning the sword was a Bosworth, has focused on the properties of this sword, just longswords in general. While it could be argued that this was just product placement in a regular video, the video's very title claimed this to be an advert. Why should I buy a something (much less a longsword!) without learning any of its qualities?

* I'm using "lacking punch" and "impactful" to describe how the actions look and feel as a viewer, not as someone with a knowledge of swords.
** Upon closer inspection, these "shots" are, likely, fabrications and were made in editing. Shots 7 and 9 utilize the full frame, and Shot 8 is faked by cropping that shot to just the close up. This makes the framing issues even worse, because they would've been able to keep him in frame adjusting it in post.