Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Yeah, exactly that. It comes with an insurance that covers any accidents during practice and events, so it's not a bad deal.

Interesting. USFA wraps all that up for fencers in its membership, but it's a several thousand (tens of thousand?) strong NGO. USFA can probably score decent group rates, and it'd be a pain in the rear end to confirm insurance for fencers AND make sure the fencer covered wherever they're fencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

your friend a dog posted:

people who are worried about exposed skin for anything more than liability reasons are little bitches. my class does full speed rapier and people often just wear a t shirt. take your bruises like men

Yeah, why should I have to wear a plastron? It makes me sweaty!

*Literally dies during open bouting*

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

The elderly gent at my foil club told me a story of how he once saw a teammate die in a fencing tournament. :smith:

I assume he was a teammate of Vladmir Smirnov, then? For those not in the know, Smirnov died during the '82 World Champs due to a broken blade piercing his mask. Unfortunately, his wasn't the most recent death in fencing.

I also come bearing news exciting *proposed* changes to non-combativity in epee. Here's the minutes from the FIE Rules Commission. Hint: the fun starts on page 7.

TL;DR: Non-combativity doesn't apply to epee, and epee bouts are completely restructured by adding shot(hit) clocks and maximum match times :siren:removing periods all together:siren:.

At the beginning of the bout, priority is determined. If after 45 seconds no hit is awarded, the fencer with priority is awarded a touch and priority switches. Anytime a hit is awarded, the timer resets and priority changes. If the bout has to go into overtime to reach decision, standard rules apply, and priority is redrawn.

A 1 minute break occurs at 5 and 10 touches, presumably similar to sabre at 8. Humorously, bout are now 10 minutes. So to stop bouts from taking so long and boring people, they decided to add an extra minute to the bout.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone's pet project, much like how 3-meter sabre lines was that of the current FIE President. It still has to go before the FIE congress in November. If you're a top-level epee fencer, hope you like having December to prepare for this trial!

Siivola posted:

Hm, I may be remembering wrong. It was a Finnish guy, and I think it happened earlier than that.

Hmm, how elderly? Ilmari Vartia of Finland died in 1951 from an unbroken epee. Can't easily find sources for it, but this blurb from Time is pretty haunting:

quote:

"There is no danger," insisted Vartia as the blade was eased out of the wound, its protective tip still in place. A moment later, with blood staining his white fencer's jacket, Captain Vartia slipped lifeless to the floor.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

obviously if you're a woman you should wear a chest protector, just like men should wear cups, but that has nothing to do with being a bitch about bruises.

Wait. Do you actually think that lack of boob cups were related to three* fencers loving dying? Plastrons, or underarm protectors, go on the weapon arm side to protect against punctures through the seem of the fencing jacket. And shut up with this bitches and bruises bullshit, the gear is designed to protect against puncture wounds and cuts.

*Two of the recent deaths were caused by the fencer not wearing a plastron, but the other fencer was wearing a modified plastron. His plastron had the armpit cut out, because he overheated otherwise. PS, this is the explanation of my joke. :geno:

quote:

+ freak accidents can always happen and, believe me, if something goes fubar with a blade and it breaks sharp or your foil snaps thin and hits you in the face, all the protection you're wearing probably wont do poo poo

The gently caress are you talking about here? Yeah, the freak accident where a blade breaks into a splinter <1.9 mm in radius and atleast full loving foot long is kinda hard to protect against. Granted, it also sounds less likely than Queen Elizabeth II walking up and cockslapping me in the face.

And another thing, freak accidents actually happening don't disprove the viability of safety gear, so why should you're accidents that haven't happened do that? A fencer got stabbed through the leg in sabre at Summer Nationals several year back. Surprisely, US Fencing didn't say, "Welp, looks like knickers don't work. Pants no longer required."

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

I think if you accept the premise of the problem it's a pretty good solution. Sounds like lots of people don't accept the premise.

Ehh, I don't like how it completely changes the bout format for epee. Gone are 3 3-minute periods. Gone are the T256 1 period wipes as well, because now Scooter, at his second tournament, gets 2 1-minute breaks in his bout against Ben Bratton. If nobody scores a hit, it takes nearly 7 minutes for the first break to occur. (Fun fact: they chose 10 minutes for DE bout length over the usual 9 minutes to prevent a hitless tie at 6-6. A most shameful bout.)

In comparison to current non-combativity, the fencers lose ~15 seconds (due to the odd wording of it) of time to develop an action. Granted, if you have priority, you fancy the idea of defending against a less developed action or even one that is rushed.

The one thing this gets right is that it creates real incentive for action. With the NC as it stand now, both fencers are equally responsible for keeping the bout going. True, the fencer that is behind needs to keep the bout going so as not to lose the time they need to stay in the bout. But I think this has a much stronger incentive, you either take a shot at getting a touch or your opponent gets a free touch.

God I hope we don't have to do this for Div1's for the 2nd have of the season.

Hazzard posted:

When I went to a tournament, I remember Epee and Foil being incredibly dull. The two fencers drifted back and forth, but very little "action". The matches were much longer than sabre, to the point where Epee for men and women were split up by putting sabre in between.

Each weapon is different and fun in their own way. There's the big difference in that a touch isn't the definition of an action for the other weapons, and the speed of sabre causes its tactical game to be shallower than the other two. I really only enjoy fencing sabre but love watching any weapon cause it's fencing. What got me started on branching out was that a good friend of mine is/was good at epee and my reffing career. From talking with him and watching a lot of epee bouts I started seeing how things were working and getting an idea for what the fencers were doing.

The speed of the events also bleed over into tournament organization. Sabre gets slotted into weird times, because it, as an event, has a much smaller footprint. Besides, typically, having the least number of competitors, the short bouts (and lack of qualified refs) mean that the event can be run with less strips and/or be run faster than the other 2. Needing less strips means it can be run when bigger longer events are winding down. Even though I'd like to have 16 strips for a 100+ epee event, I don't need half of them when I have 16 fencers left. A 50 person sabre event can be started right then and there, orI can start flighting a bigger sabre event. It's crazy to think about how bout committee runs a NAC (and some of the bigger SYC's).

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Anyone know what the problem they had with foil was?

Not really. I tried searching online, but that vague quote about it not being improved by competition is repeated everywhere.

Also, word is that the FIE is shelving the proposed epee changes.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I got an officials email about the NAC next weekend, and it's got some numbers. The biggest event is, of course, Div1 Men's Epee at 327 fencers and starts the first day at 2. Aside from ME, most are around 200 with some dipping below 150.

At least Epee is going to be fenced in a 2-day format (see page 4). It looks different than the one they tested last season, but I wasn't at Detroit and might be wrong. Still, I'm not a fan of dragging these across 2 days. There's a "Day 2 Division 1 Classification Event" for those that didn't make the cut to day 2, which is a consolation prize to the 215 fencers that had to book/plan on an extra night. What's really dumb is that 14 fencers that make it to Day 2 are eliminated before the final round of DE's. Still, it beats repchage.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You almost rewrote the definition of "attack" from the rule book. It's the same.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HEY GUNS posted:

they've come out with a fencing barbie, and the model in the photo has a tiny saber

http://time.com/5023094/mattel-hijab-barbie-ibtihaj-muhammad/

And the Barbie is modeled after an Olympian, no less. Here's an ESPN mini-interview about the doll as well. Muhammad seems quite pleased with the doll; she even had her clothing company make a dress for the doll's red carpet:
https://twitter.com/IbtihajMuhammad/status/930575621025157121

Personally, I'm pleased that Mattel aped the old US nationality logo over the new one.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Wait so Muhammad is a fashion designer and both Imboden and Chamley-Watson are models?

What is up with your team?

What's hosed up is that Imboden had to drop out of college because of his modelling, because the NCAA would've revoked his "student athlete" status if he modeled while going to school.

quote:

The NCAA excused my prior modeling because, per their explanation, it preceded my NCAA career. Now that I was an “active athlete,” I was barred from gaining compensation for any modeling going forward.

The ramifications of this mandate were severe. Given the time and energy necessary to pursue modeling work, I couldn’t afford to do it unpaid. (I can’t imagine anyone could.) And so I swallowed hard and accepted my counterintuitive reality: I wanted to fence, build my modeling career and earn an education, all at once. To remain an amateur, I had to choose two out of three.

But I didn’t have a choice, really. Fencing was my life. Modeling was my livelihood. The irony was bizarre and cruel. The NCAA was putting me in a position where, in order to prioritize my career, I had to drop out of school.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Your prayers have been answered, rigid chest protectors will have been a thing of the past next season.

Real interested to see if and how this changes the women's foil game over the next few seasons. Also, guess I must go to the October NAC to learn how we're doing those inspections. Looks like the USFA rule is going to require homologation, so that should make it pretty easy.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Schneider Heim posted:

But aren't those supposed to be used in formation and not in dueling? I might just make do with a staff instead.

You are literally asking this of a reenacter. I'm not sure if Hey Gal does this outside of formation work.

For the Americans out there, Summer Nats are happening! They've already had one scheduled midnight ending day and a tornado warning at the venue. Only six more days to go! I'm so glad that I'm not working it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

I've once fixed that problem by carefully drilling the counterbore in the grip deeper, assuming there's enough meat in it to do so. Also, ask around, someone at your club may well have a spare grip lying around that they will let go for cheap or free.

On the subject of people doing stupid poo poo, I've been helping ref school level tounaments and had an... interesting kids' team foil bout. Both teams looked like raw newbies but one of them had a goddamn bingo on the following:
-A single foil between all their fencers, I don't know how it survived but it got a 45° bend about an inch from the tip at one point
-One fencer who had no idea how to use electric gear or plug into a spool
-Said fencer turned up late, carrying an epee
-Another fencer, taller/more developed than all the other kids, whose only move was "remise from the arm as fast as possible to get past the parry" (had to card him and explain how to extend without punching)
-A timid one whose preferred move was to cover target with the off hand

On the plus side nobody got hurt, I didn't have to pull anybody off the piste, and both teams seemed to get somewhat better at actually fencing by the end of the match. I feel really bad for that poor foil though.

Red for violent action? Cause a Group 1 for abnormal action isn't real*. :colbert: Also, questionable call if it wasn't for a bell punch, because their opponent should be able to take a touch, even a hard one. Better to just instruct the fencer not to do that and using a "disobeying the ref" Group 1 for following actions.

Fun fact: t.87.2 can be used for a Group 1, 2, or 4 (t.87, in total, can be used for a Group 3). Fencing's real dumb.

*According to a national level ref assigner.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Any foil or sabre coach.

e: Under most circumstances

Counters are discouraged because of right of way, but they are totally part of the game at all levels. Hell, based on the fencer's athleticism, body type, etc, counters could be a very large part of an individual fencer's toolbox.

That said:

what coach would tell their students not to counter attack?

Coaches with fat students.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In case any of y'all ever happen to organize an event, it's real nice to gauge interest among your officials at, well, some point. I would like to take a 1-day, out of state event, but that's the same weekend as Junior Olympic Qualifiers, which only two refs in the entire division are qualified to run. The out of state event pays better, but the qualifier literally will not count if the other ref or I are not present. I already know which event I'll be working if both need me.

In more general Olympic fencing news, several proposals have been passed around in preparation for the FIE Congress in Paris next month. This include silly things like removing the off-target in foil and allowing the fleche attack in sabre. From what I've read, the fleche rule change might have some legs, and the executive committee is pushing to have the rule tested at several satellite events over the course of 2 seasons.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Beg your pardon? :what:

It'd make the weapon more appealing to spectators. Of course, this turning the weapon into bad, slow epee was not considered.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Both of these are just... what? I really would not want to be a medic at the comp where they start allowing fleches in sabre. I know the no-crossing rule is an artificial limitation, but given how fast sabre is I can see some fun injuries happening from simul fleche.

The rough idea is to allow a single crossover during the actual attack and to continue to disallow crossovers at any other time. A "counter-fleche" would, theoretically, be cardable offense, which would be real dumb.

quote:

How is the foil change meant to work - epee with priority? Or just re-jig the box logic so that off-target touches don't make a light come up?

Yeah, it would require on-target hits to register a touch and, thus, an action, which is what makes it real dumb and would, essentially, eliminate foil as we know it. Also, imagine non-FIE level reffing with respect to seeing and carding for covering.

If you meant the technicalities, the box would require the lame line loop to be closed from the opponent as well as the opening of the weapon circuit to register a valid touch. An open weapon line would register nothing. As a bonus, the box would no longer sense that one side wasn't hooked up.

As an aside, I'm not sure how the weight testing would be done without off-targets.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

If you know any olympic fencer types you should see if your gear fits inside one of these: https://www.leonpaul.com/icarus-wheel-bag.html

Mine sometimes gets crammed with 5 weapons, two masks, two lames and a full set of clothing. The best part is that it's got wheels, carrying all that poo poo isn't fun.

You didn't splurge for the strip bag? Amateur!

Olympic fencing bags would not be appropriate for HEMA, because our weapons are only 10 cm longer than the blade of a Regenyai feder. Some manufacturers are getting into the HEMA game though. Absolute Fencing (official sponsor of USA Fencing) is putting out a 54" XL fencing bag. They also brand their other combat sport lines as Absolute Force, which is kinda odd?

Now, this is a thing. A shoulder holster for my ref stuff. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather disperse my cards, coin, pencils, and notepad into 5 different pockets on my blazer. Also, I'm American, so it would look like I'm carrying which is not appropriate.

In rules news, there was an emergency meeting for the USFA board to allow the ref commission to write up the new non combativity rules to make them compliant for JOs in February. I don't know how it is with other NGBs, but the USFA doesn't automatically approve FIE rule changes. Best example of this would be the foil bib, which was rolled out over 2 seasons*. While there are some application concerns and the rule itself needs to be written (our rulebook is not a translation of the FIE), the main concern hings on how to handle double disqualification. The FIE rule handles this by world ranking, but I would be surprised if 5% of US fencers are on any of our point lists.

* Start of the first season in the following August all national events (i.e. the 7 NACs and Summer Nationals) would require the foil bib. Next season it would be for all sanctioned tournaments.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

I don't know if this is common practice, the most interesting bit of ref advice I ever got was to put each card in its own pocket, with the black card in the most inconvenient spot so you'll be forced to have time to consider whether you really should to throw it.

That's why I use five pockets. I have a set of nice, plastic cards that I can grab at blindly, but I still keep each one in a separate pocket. My black card is in my inside, left, breast pocket, because I don't feel like I'll need it (still haven't) as opposed to my yellow and red cards. As for my other setup: I keep a notebook in my right inside pocket, some pencils (and occasionally the remote) in my outside breast pocket, and tuck my priority coin in the pocket with my yellow.

My avoidance on throwing black cards is that I just don't wanna. :v: My mentor actually has a strong point that you, as a ref, can cause and not cause a lot of poo poo, and, on the subject of ejections, a ref should be aiming to deescalate as much as possible instead of letting the coach/athlete walk through the door that they've opened. I'm actually not sure if he has thrown a black card.

Fake edit: maaaaaybe I shouldn't refer to cards just by their color. whoops

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EvilMerlin posted:

Yeah I think your black cards are the same as our red flags.

Immediate disqualification/ejection?

Is that how HEMA does it? Very soccer. But, yeah, that's how our black cards work out. Yellow cards are warnings, in a sense, and are for minor penalties. Red cards award a touch to the fencer's opponent and, generally, don't lead to expulsion.

There's a few different resolutions to a black card: withdrawal, exclusion, and expulsion.

Injuries can cause a medical withdraw, which ends the tournament for the fencer, but they remain on the ledgers as if they lost their bout (i.e. their results in the tourney remain valid). This is only, technically a black card.

Exclusion strikes a fencer from the event, and their opponent advances to the next round. Results that include a expelled fencer typically list the fencer as "Excluded." Exclusion may or may not also result in an expulsion.

Expulsion removes a person (fencer or spectator/coach) from the event area and can be for the remainder of the day or the rest of the tournament if it extends over multiple days. Serious offenses also get kicked up to the NGB (US Fencing for me) to see if longer term punishments are required, such as barring them from future events.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Two yellows make a red and those are what you mostly see, so just common rule infractions. Straight reds are generally unsportsmanlike behavior and equipment violations, and two of some reds make a black. Straight blacks are super rare and are serious sportsmanship violations.

A handy chart https://everything2.com/title/Fencing+penalty+chart

A better handy chart. click on "Penalty Chart" for a 2-page PDF. The chart you posted is both out of date and names 7 groups of penalties when only 4 exist.

Equipment violations (equipment nonconforming) are group 1s (yellow cards). Unsportsmanlike conduct (offense against sportsmanship) is a black.

Straight red cards (group 2s and 3s) are serious offenses (violent action, touch not on opponent, use of nonweapon arm etc) that noticeably try to tilt the bout and represent actions that are almost certainly deliberate.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's Valentine's Day, which means its time for the US Junior Olympic Championships! Beyond the normal stress of a national championship for pointed events, US Fencing is officially adopting the new non-combativity guidelines as passed by the FIE congress with the start of the event. This is a pain in the butt, because they've literally added 15 mins to the normal pre-NAC ref meeting just to cover it. I do feel like updating the rules for the championship event should've been avoid (as was done with the 3-meter rule), but this is a good event to run as a test bed/demo for the new rule.

The FIE has published an FAQ (pdf) with guidelines on application. The most surprising thing in there is Q7. Fencers are no longer allowed to "wave off" the remaining time of a period to advance to the break or priority. If they attempt to do so, it is to be penalized with "delay of bout" on both fencers (a Group 1 penalty). I'm not a fan of this interpretation, but it is what it is.

I'm still onboard with this for some of the big changes it makes, notably removing the end of period penalty, and I think it brings the rule more in line with what other combat sports have implemented. I'll probably have a better feel for it once my stint in Denver is over with.

Quick Edit: I forgot to post Q10, my fav from the FAQ:

FIE posted:

Q10.In the text for team events in English, c) mentions “fencers” though the lines before and after mention “teams”. The French and Spanish rules mention “teams”. Is it a typing mistake?

It is indeed a typing mistake in the English version of c) which will be corrected.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 14, 2019

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I went to a club and fenced for the first time in a year or so on Thursday. I still have cramps in my thighs, butt, and groin.

Also, I can't wait for Summer Nats in 3 weeks. 10 days, ~12,000 registrations. Oh, and the July Challenge events kick off Olympic selection (I think). Luckily, I'll be in Columbus, OH, so I'm sure to have fun.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 8, 2019

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

spacetoaster posted:

Any recommendations on a decent set? Should I just try and snag used gear? Are the electronic stuff a requirement (we've been training with non-electric stuff)? And do I have to have 3 different masks?

Where are you? The main American options are Absolute and Blue Gauntlet, of which I reccomend Absolute. Y'all should start with your uniform: front-zip jacket, plastron, knickers, glove, and mask.

You should also ask your coach about what you do and don't need. I would say yes on getting electric equipment, but you should wait if your coach plans to have you fence dry for 6 months.

You should only need the equipment for what you intend to fence. You should hold off on lames, specific mask, and sabre glove until you reach that decision. And, no, you shouldn't fence electric with the wrong mask.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yo, US Fencing members, go vote! It's in your email inbox (the one tied to your USFA membership)!

I know no one's been to a club since March, but elections are happening for a bunch of stuff, like president and board members. I don't know what all is on the ballot, because I'm a ref that doesn't have a full membership.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the deal with the US fencing elections? Pretty standard stuff, or are there a bunch of sordid stories and skeletons in closets?

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.

It's also over now, so it doesn't matter a whole bunch. The president wasn't re-elected, a lot of others were. I didn't know much about the main elections but had some preferences. For the ref elections, I abstained, because I just couldn't make a choice of one or the other and would be fine with either candidate.

Cessna posted:

Dunno. I keep getting tweets like "remember to vote!" and I have no idea who any of those people are.

Unless you show up to national events a fair bit or live near one of the candidates, that's to be expected. I go to most events and there were still a couple I do not know in the slightest.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Oh I'm not complaining..just jealous. We're currently discussing how to open back up.
How are you finding practicing with masks?

With Leon Paul branded shields!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yo, I know this thread's tiny and not very popular, but I enjoyed being able to peek in at goons trying (and failing) to stab people. Luckily we could all migrate over to F.net if this goes boom!*

If any of y'all end up at a NAC or (US) regional event, feel free to say "hi." I'll likely be rocking a bridge-tentacle lapel pin in the epee land. Just, uhh, call me "Bird" or mention SA. Don't be a weirdo asking about stairs in my house please; I try to be a professional at that level.

*This is a joke. Those forums are gone and are, basically, over at r/fencing now. It's about the same level of qualified advice though. :geno:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cessna posted:

I'll be the old guy fencing sabre.

I know there are only like fifty of you fuckers, but that only narrows it down to, like, 12. :argh:

Plus, I stopped reffing sabre a while ago and focus on epee nowadays. This will mean that I'll be a little pissy cause the current Div1 format takes forever. Thank God it ain't repechage, though

Seriously, I'm pretty nervous about how the next NAC will go. Like, I don't think things will have sufficiently cooled down in ~3 months, but we've also gotta start selection for NeoTokyo 2021. The thought of being at a NAC in this climate is legitimately terrifying. A sizeable chunk of the cadre being 60+ is one I don't want to dwell on too much, either.

We start (kendo) again on Sunday, with special face shields and mask. It's gonna suck, but it's better than not doing kendo.

Stay safe! USFA is still keeping things locked down, but, like the CFF (Canadian Fencing Federation) it seems, we just started allowing lessons to begin again.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^^^Yeah, there's a tentative deal in place.

Bah, I cant tell the date, obviously..one more week to go.
BC got it mostly under control. Infection rate been steady under 10/day for the last 3-4 weeks.

Yeah, I saw that Ontario is only allowing practice (but no bouting, I think) until the 2-meter rule is withdrawn.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cessna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7n7joTINmI

I'm on the left, and I get the point.

I know, I need to work on footwork.

Good timing.

So, as expected, USA Fencing has postponed most events for the opening of the season. Regional events slowly start in October with youth circuit, but the first NAC is now going to be the January one in Atlanta. The new NAC schedule has yet to be posted, but it will likely be very different from a traditional schedule. January is, usually, the last Div 1 NAC with Champs in April, but that won't be enough for selection. Also, top-level fencers will need to be making international appearances as well to make the cut for the Olympics.

This, of course, presupposes that the US quarantine is lifted by Tokyo, much less once the international season picks up.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
USA Fencing has been hosting a speaker series and is hosting one on LGBTQ inclusiveness tomorrow at 1. The FB responses to this event have been...less than stellar. I don't know if I'd learn anything new, per se, but I'll be attending nonetheless.

Are there any books worthwhile getting for an Epee beginner?

Thought someone would've hit you with a response by now, but Epee 2.0 prolly wouldn't be a bad place to start. By now, I doubt that you're running into issues of coaches still approaching the weapon with a pre-2.0 understanding, but this can help you get some idea of how and why modern epee evolved into it's current form. That said, I wouldn't be the best judge of books cause I don't fence epee, I only ref it. :shobon:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ehh, I could create a long winded post about it, but the main avenue where you might not be making the correct decision is due to bad coaching, specifically coaching that isn't meeting you were you're at as a fencer. It also sounds like you'd be unwilling to switch clubs (even if that was the case), so there's nothing wrong with switching to foil. Granted, vet mens epee is the coolest group of fencers, but, like, then you'd have to fence epee. :shrug:

Looks like Epee 2.5 is the current version, so ordered that.
Practice matches are becoming harder as I'm now starting to attemp to do techniques correctly, so no longer behaving what probably appeared completely random to my opponents :).
Just got a practice target set up at home, so I can at least start to work on some basic point control.

Everyone loves golf balls.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That is really cool. I gave the demo a shot, and I like a lot of the ideas it has to start with. Don't quite "get" how the moves interact though.

Yeah, this really sucks and makes the whole season, basically, a wash. I only re-upped because I had assumed that events would've started by now. At the moment, I'm only slightly hoping to work the Olympic selection event (lol, very doubtful) and Summer Nats (really hoping vaccines are available by June).

On that note, the FIE has, in their wisdom, said that Junior & Cadet Champs will be happening in Cario at the start of April. (PDF)

This is a very poor decision on their part. I know New Zealand has stated that it is literally impossible for them to send a team, because, among other things, there are no isolation facilities available for the entire month of April. I have no clue what the response will be from USFA, but I doubt that they'll withhold sending a team. They haven't officially said but did have an emergency meeting two days after the FIE published this letter.

I guess this means I might have a shot at working a Junior & Cadet selection event. :coronatoot: Yes, a youth selection event is probably about the worst idea at this juncture. The Olympic event can, very easily, be winnowed down to the top-32 per weapon or less (selection criteria only has, at most, 8 actually in the running at any given time), keeping total numbers below a hundred a day. The youth event would likely end up having north of 100 competitors per weapon, for 2 age groups, who would bring along 1.5 people per competitor extra or more.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know anything about the Olympic clubs in the Columbus, OH area?

Ideally ones with a good epee presence or coach but not required.

Columbus Fitness & Fencing is the main club I think of when it comes to Columbus. CF&F is mainly a RoW club but does have one dedicated epee coach listed on their website. I don't know how wide the levels of engagement are, but it is fairly competitively minded club, too. They put out a fair number of foilists and sabreurs at the youth, cadet, and junior levels that get national points (I don't do Div1 foil/saber), but I can't recall seeing much in the way of epeeists. Not saying it's a bad program, just a definite step below programs like DCFC and HOF, which do put out fencers at those levels. If your goal is just to be involved with the sport again, CF&F would be my hard and only rec in Columbus.

Plus, that area is great just to fence epee in. Cleveland's not too far off, and Kentucky, while a but more of a hike, does put on some big events from time to time as well.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

I did my first comp in over a year last weekend (made possible thanks to us having done some really strict lockdowns right at the beginning of the pandemic) and I feel not quite as wrecked as I was expecting. Then again I got rolled in the DEs once I hit a younger and fitter opponent who realised he could just steamroller me with raw speed. Still heaps of fun though!

:hfive: Congrats on getting to fence again. My long hiatus of reffing is set to end the weekend after next with the NAC in Texas. Very thrilled to get to fly into a state where masks are no longer required. :negative:

Also, I'm pretty disappointed at how wrong I was with my predictions about what the national schedule would be; it looks like we'll have a national tourney every month through August or something dumb like that. My division is still not allowing events locally, but most of the clubs have resumed in a limited capacity.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So, having now fenced Epee for more than 3 months, I'm now obviously an expert on all matters olympic fencing, but...the current state of sabre fencing just seems like complete nonsense to me.
I can largely understand (and recognize) the RoW in foil, but in sabre, it is soo marginal that it's largely unwatchable.
You go back to say, the 2012 Olympics and it's largely watchable, but the current stuff?.
I think that technology has evolved enough that they should try accelerometers in the weapons again and make them actually 'cut', rather than just touch...which would probably also mean they would need stiffer blades. (in order to reliably read the deceleration)...

Funny you mention that. In Nov of 2019, the FIE decided that accelerometers should be given another go and opened a contest to spur development. (I, legit, hadn't heard about this until I started digging around for the word "capteur.")

Are you expecting the accelerometer in the tip of the blade? Last time, it was kept in the grip and served, if I recall, as an interrupter at the weapon socket. Also, the cut vs touch distinction is very much not one most fencers would want to see. Most like cuts with the flat and whipover touches. That press release even explicitly mentions both of those actions as ones that need to be registered.

quote:

Or at the very least, move them further away from eachother, rather than the 1-step-attack that they have now.
How about we, instead of lengthening the en garde distance, shorten the en garde distance to deep lunge distance?

dupersaurus posted:

Trust me, hitting people harder is not an obstacle for those saber barbarians. The challenge is that the lockout time is so short it makes parrying really hard without real good footwork — except that requires space that you don’t have off the line. You could increase the lockout time towards foil, but you still have the problem of it being real easy to hit in saber (again, smacking hard isn't a hindrance) so parrying can quickly become too powerful. Four meters is probably the “solution”, but only if you can stomach being a special snowflake.

Parrying, as a concept, has always been weak in sabre. At the turn of the 20th century, a valid riposte counted as 2 touches instead of 1.

Regarding lockouts, it's a very dangerous game to play to make things still fun and exciting. I like the tighter times, because it forces tighter and cleaner actions. A stop-hit in time is allowed to be a valid action, and you don't get hair splitting for attacks in prep as you do in foil. You're hit in prep because one light. Done. I kinda joke that sabre is the easiest weapon to ref, by technical application, it just happens so fast that it seems more complicated than it is.

The lockout time is, also, probably a big reason why 2012 looks so different than from Budapest last month, because it was increased by 50 ms. Well, that and on one has been fencing for a year. And, yes, I have seen dustups caused by sabre fencers not trusting the box to have the right timing.

dupersaurus posted:

In foil you get 300(?)350ms, which is a loooot of time to finish, even against a plain counter, so you can afford to take your time. Saber gets 160170ms (recently upped from 120),
ftfy

And it's 40 ms for epee. Also, can you imagine 700 ms for foil? You could chase someone halfway down the strip and still get a riposte!

It was my intention when I started fencing that I would move on to saber, but I have my doubts now. Also, by far the majority of adults do epee and in many ways it's also the closest to my kendo background...OTOH, I'm also short, especialy by epee standards (5'8"), but I'm also not planning on entering the olympics any time soon.

Serious Q: kendo is a snap decision kinda sport right? Like, lots of slow set up to build towards an exchange that lasts all of a quarter of a second, if that? If so, that sounds like epee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cessna posted:

My son qualified for Junior Olympics again, so it looks like we're going to Philadelphia next month. There's also the Vet's NAC (Old guy's matches) that I qualify for, so I'll go fence as well.

I doubt I'll make it past the first round, but it should still be fun, a chance to fence some top athletes.

Congrats! Summer Nats is going to be the first traditionally sized national event since the lock down, and we're all going to be in one, big, happy hall as well. I'm scheduled for the full 10 days and have no clue when my days off are, lol.

Also, the alternate for the US men's epee team has been under suspension pending a Safesport complaint. News just dropped today that the suspension is being lifted while the investigation proceeds. And, yes, this is highly unusual and, in my mind, not a good move by USA Fencing, US Safesport, and/or the USOPC (United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee).