Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Trying to learn the longsword (HEMA) with a lightsaber because an actual sword is hard to find and our law enforcement is awful (lol Philippines). It's pretty fun but I do most of my learning alone since it's hard to meet up with my friends (who also own lightsabers and are trying to learn actual fencing with it, not Star Wars twirly stuff).

I also want to learn the spear so I'm looking for a staff for starters. Is anyone knowledgeable with that? There are less references online for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Nektu posted:

:shrug: Why not use a lightsaber for solo practice? It should be long enough though and you absolutely need to attach a crossguard.

Kylo Ren's saber is pretty expensive, but I'm ordering a 36 inch blade.

Also the spear would be 6-8 feet. Thinking of building a lightsaber pike to get around law enforcement again but it would be pricier. But at least I could disassemble it for easier transporting.

I'll think about kendo! It could be fun but I'm concerned about the gear, which might set me back a lot.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 18, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

What is a non- :mediocre: length, anyway? 8 feet is already hard to transport and I don't even have a car/truck.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

HEY GUNS posted:

pikes are 15-18 feet long, friend

But aren't those supposed to be used in formation and not in dueling? I might just make do with a staff instead.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can anyone tell me about kendo and what it's like in general? There are a couple near my area.