Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's beginners' course time again at my club, does anyone has any fun not-quite-a-real-bout group games we should try out? I.e. letting them stab each other a bit but without having to learn all the rules yet.

Just for context, this is purely to make sure they're having a bit of fun and not just drilling in their first few lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm thinking of doing an effort post on JSA for the OP...would anyone be interested in that?
Totally, I'd love to know more. Go ahead and I'll edit it in. I wonder what the character limit for posts is?

Turtlicious posted:

On a scale of 1 - 10 how bad is whipping someone on purpose after they accidentally whipped you like 5x?
Depends what you plan to do. There's no harm in showing them how it's done properly, but if I'd say just stop the bout and tell them what they're doing wrong. If they have a problem with that, walk away. If it's in a tournament situation, hope the ref calls brutality and watch the cards roll in, I guess?

I once pulled off a really nice fleche against a Russian exchange student, sheer beginner's luck for me. The guy got amazingly angry and started doing a lot of really forceful flicks and beats. The sad thing is that as I was pretty new at the time, he could have just kept fencing normally and still kicked my rear end; he was winning anyway. Don't be that guy.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 9, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I was going to post a link to the Cold Steel greatsword infomercial, but then I discovered their smallsword one. It's good for catching rings thrown at you, I guess? Also they show off a masterful demonstration of that standard fencing move, the "throw your sword like a javelin".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr71uTyWKtk

Man, he really wants that pig dead :(

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I've always wondered, how does a basket hilt actually protect the hand? The one posted above looks like you could still thrust a blade through it at a near dead-on angle and hit the weapon hand. Or is it just a trick of perspective?

[edit]Also, apparently there's a new event in the FIE grand prix series or something starting in Havana in a couple of days. I hope they broadcast it...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 11, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How much does a rapier weigh, on average? Being a foilist, epees feel just fine until about ten points into a bout, then they suddenly transform into a giant lead brick. My sabreur friends have suggested I set up something to hit and just practise cutting for ages until I build up more hand strength.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

curious lump posted:

A rapier is like 2 pounds, which, if you get tired using an epee, is probably too much for you. Do more pushups.
I am going to, I injured my shoulder (off hand, thankfully) and have had to be very careful about lifting anything in general for for the last year or so.

HEY GAL posted:

I think it's funny that this is the same thread that had a debate about whether or not women are strong enough to fence men
One interesting thing I've heard about is that at competitive levels where genders are segregated, the separation apparently extends to tactics as well. That is to say, men end up favouring different tactics to women, not because of :biotruths:, but purely because the pool of people they fence against, at least under tournament conditions, is being restricted.
Anyone with experience in this area care to comment?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

The Martinez Academy uploaded two videos on French and Italian foil assaults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlrxUyuzvaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkCbwg56sU
This is just demoing the general bladework style and form of attack, right? Otherwise someone should tell these people they really, really need to step back before/with the parry.

[Edit] this has to be a bladework demo, they are close as gently caress to each other. I still wish i could prime like that, though.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 16, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

They look like most of the time they're really close to each other, like within range to hit with extension (or a tiny lunge or half step). If you don't move your feet, you're relying entirely on your parry for defence, which is pretty risky.
This is an issue close to my heart because I'm a lazy fucker and give away a lot of points this way.

About hips vs hands first, at least in sport fencing it's hands first all the way. Hands move faster than the body, power isn't really an issue, and regardless of the weapon when attacking you ideally want to have the sharp bit of your weapon close to the other guy, but your target as far away as possible.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 17, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I can't speak for anything other than sport fencing, but we don't really care about power behind the touch. So long as you can make contact with the blade or apply the 500g to depress the tip switch, anything above that is a waste of effort. Leverage ensures that unless you are literally fencing a baby, you cannot physically overpower someone who parries you correctly (their forte parrying your foible).

In fact, punching a thrust or putting your arm/back/hips full force into a sabre cut could get your rear end carded for brutality.

Epee is probably the best example for why you extend first, in fact, given its lack of priority rules. It boils down to: if two people walk towards each other, one extended and the other with a bent arm, the guy who extended first will land the touch first.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

judging by this thread it clearly can't be foil because they have more than 10 grams of muscle mass in their arms.
Those could just be nice, safe, thickly padded arms on the jackets?

Maybe it's sabre, neither fencer demonstrates the ability to read, write or speak words of more than one syllable

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 18, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Making a call with confidence is also a big part of it, as chances are neither fencer is 100℅ sure what happened during a messy exchange, either.

Have any of you ever had parents/coaches threatening you because you didn't call in favour of their little Timmy? Just asking out of morbid curiosity.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

powertoiletduck posted:

That's one of my favourite "US only" rules. Your armoury team can get really wound up about very little things.

Just found out I'm on the reserve list to referee the world championships, haven't had an FIE gig higher than a world cup/GP since 2012, so that's nice.
Congrats! Not that I wish anything bad upon the other refs, but here's hoping you get to ref some awesome matches.

What's the epee wiring rule?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow. I'd heard about this but never read up about it, that's some pretty brazen stuff. I did hear there was a rumour that Onishchenko was pressured into using the doctored weapon by officials, even though he obviously didn't need it - nothing substantiated, of course. :tinfoil:

I'll have to go have a closer look at my epee tonight... I replaced the blade a while back but didn't think about this kind of thing, only about how to lay the wire out so that it wouldn't fatigue.

I'd always thought that epee pretty much refs itself; can you give a bit of detail on the main things that get argued about?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey fencing nerds, what do y'all do for conditioning? America got stomped by the Euros at the Purpleheart Open, partially because they're far more conditioned than we are (generally).

I'm a bit of a chub right now, and I want to be a not chub. Also I want to not get winded after 3 minutes of intense sparring.
Just go to the gym, and fence more. I am a weedy fucker though, so others can probably give much better advice.
Fencing specific things, lunge-redouble-redouble and keep redoubling until you get to the end of the room is good sometimes. Chuck some squats in there for good measure if you like.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

El Spamo posted:

Don't forget deadlifts and back/core exercises too! I destroyed my muscles in a tournament once because I wasn't quite fit enough and I was doing lots and lots of low line actions. My back HURT.

BoP, what's your way of doing foil/sabre refereeing? I'm trying to get better at them and so far the best I can do is try to visually catch when someone starts the action and hope hope that I spot their opponents parry. I always feel like I throw out a lot of points calling it a simultaneous action. I'm also only an epee fencer really so I don't have the feel of the action from the inside.
Wait, how does low line hurt your back? Unless you're bending at the waist all over the place doing crazy body evasion stuff.

I wouldn't put yourself down as not having a feel for where priority is, as an epeeist, either. You probably use it, but just as a guideline rather than a strict rule. Surely you have a feeling for whether you're attacking or counterattacking, and if you go for a parry/bind, whether it worked or not...

I always try to look for where the attack starts, then look and listen for blade contact. From there, I try to work out what the contact was (parry, malparry, beat, etc), and continue until the touch. There's always the timing thing too on whether a remise lands before an out-of-time riposte begins.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

HEY GAL posted:

Check out this guy's arm:

From the Battle of Luetzen mass grave excavation
Prime was clearly the wrong parry to have chosen.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

tirinal posted:

Just finished my first two-hour session. Impressions:

- Right of way is complete bullshit, unless I score, in which case it's a perfect metric for aptitude, finesse, and good looks.
- Everything hurts.
- I can think of like 5 more elegant ways to design all the equipment.
- 14 year old kids are vicious, bloodcrazed urchins who go for the knees.
- Everything hurts.
harden up. In six weeks you will have thighs of steel (I walked up a mountain last weekend and only my calves and ankles are sore, quadriceps don't give any shits at all), and you will have a strange instinct to try and parry passers-by out of the way on instinct. Also uncontrollable urges to counter-six when preparing to butter your slice of toast.

Also, if you are having problems with priority, just remember this: don't remise, instead stay calm, step back, parry and riposte. This will, at this stage, solve 95% of your problems.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 4, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What's the "lock-out" time generally considered to be? A thrust and fleche past would probably avoid a counterattack after the hit, but easier said than done. And is there much of a difference fencing a left-hander with a two-handed weapon?
How big is the bout area compared to, say, kendo or boxing? It looks pretty claustrophobic to me, but I guess it does give you the option of retreating indefinitely (whereas on a piste there's only so much backing up you can do).

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 6, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, my club's had no lefties for about six months now, but we just got a few new ones last beginners' course. I'm going to have to learn how to fence them again... don't ask me what it is, but they always seem like they're slightly further away than they really are when in a normal six en-garde.

There were a couple of touches in that video where the defender did quite a quite parry that was too level (should have been a bit more angled) and got smacked in the wrist/forearm - was that as painful as it looked? And do you get a lot of sabre/epee-style poo poo with people trying for relatively quick slashes to the wrists and forearm?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

There are quite a lot of good matches coming out of the current FIE GP. Here's some foil where you can watch Alexander Massialas being a dick by countering/remising with a point in line and letting his opponent walk into it. drat, those guys are scary fast.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Just curious, but are American fencers generally good?
Historically no aside from what BirdOfPlay mentioned, but in the last couple of decades they've been kicking some rear end. The Europeans still for the most part dominate, but east Asia is also making a strong showing too, with some really good fencers coming from China, Japan and Korea. I watched a historical documentary from the FIE a whole back (it's still up on their YouTube channel, I think), and they noted that the Koreans got really good really quickly with almost no help from overseas coaches. It's a bit mindboggling, but hey, good on them.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, a priority question for reffy types: in foil, if someone establishes a line and moves backwards while keeping their point in line and arm extended (e.g. stepping back or dodging by leaning their torso back), are they ceding priority? Some people have told me no, as the arm remains out and the line remains unbroken, whereas others have said that any backwards motion of the point cedes right of way.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 16, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

About half of the timidity probably comes from the fact that the duel is done and everybody has to go home the moment one dude gets a tiny little cut on the arm. If you want to emulate that, just make it a rule that whoever loses a point has to do thirty pushups, and any bout devolves into that tippy-tappy poo poo.
Well, yeah, this is the whole thing about any "sportification", i.e. introduction of some kind of rules. As soon as anything becomes about winning within a set of rules rather than surviving/killing, then you bet that everyone involved has it in their best interests to find ways to push and exploit those rules as hard as they can.

Hence sport fencing. But luckily, sport fencing is really fun and stuff :)

Also, there's also a chance that those videos come from a period when dueling itself was legal, but killing someone during said duel wasn't.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BirdOfPlay posted:

Read the whole thread (seriously, it's 13 pages, I have more to catch up on with either the Political Cartoon or US Pol in D&D). We do surprisingly little about discussion about F.net here, even though it is the Reddit of the fencing world.

See the 5 active threads on F.net about the qualification paths to Summer Nationals. Even though they FUCKNG KNOW that Junior Men's Epee was an incomplete 512 after cutoffs. I had to look it up to confirm, but they were 290 motherfuckers that continued to DE's. I know, for a fact, that the final for that event occurred after 1 AM, and the event started at 8 AM.

I'm sorry, but am I ranting?
I've had a look at fencing.net a few times, mostly for specific gear recommendations/reviews, but never delved into it more than that.

What do you mean by incomplete 512? What's the deal with the qualification paths? And having to fence into the small hours sounds pretty brutal. Unless drinks are involved, in which case it probably becomes awesome.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

A 50% chance of automatically making it to the second round of DEs sounds fair :pwn:
Isn't this what poules are for?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Come to think of it, wouldn't it make more sense to limit the number of entrants to 2^n?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think I have a new record for gear failures in one day: two tip explosions (foil and epee) and a second foil not registering on switch press. Only my sabre survived!
I have spares for the tips, but god drat do I hate troubleshooting possible blade wire/socket faults.

Is there an actual good reason for using a single tiny wire instead of a proper sheathed multi-strand cable? I've always wondered this. Then again, bayonet plugs still exist.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, I've wrecked a few weapons before, everything except the grip is basically a consumable. But I've never smashed 3 in the space of 2 hours until now...

The deal with using a cable with multiple strands is that it can be more flexible than a thicker gauge. And there's the big advantage that if one strand breaks, you're not totally screwed.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 30, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

Bayonet master race 4 lyfe.

Do sheathed cables 1/3 the diameter of the cables we're already using exist? Really, sounds like more complexity and cost for what's a fairly minor (if annoying) problem.
My foils are bayonet, it's not a bad connector functionally but it's kinda overcomplicated for what it needs to be.

Thinking more about it, a sheathed multi strand cable would definitely be bigger in diameter than the existing blade wire, but surely the blade could be changed slightly to suit, we're talking 1mm or less here. Plus since the strands themselves aren't glued in, they can move inside the sheath as the blade bends, which should also extend their life.
But it'll probably only happen slightly after the US switches to the metric system...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've seen what dupersaurus is describing, and it's hilarious.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

Oh, I'm quite capable of doing it without the help of a chest protector.
It might feel better without protection, but is it worth the risk?

serioustalk: maybe try pronating/supinating more if you're attacking to the sides of target? Or begin your attack/extension from slightly further away.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What weapon are you talking about? If you're thrusting, you just need to relax, launch your attack from a fraction further away than normal, and make sure your hand goes first before your feet.
Think of just placing the point on target and touching it, rather than punching or trying to put power behind it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

Foil. And, yeah, I know what needs to be done; I'm climbing out of that gap between knowing and executing, but I've been making good strides on it. I tend to finish marching attacks a tempo or two later than I should (which causes all sorts of fun problems), and getting my brain to accept that I'm long enough to hit from out there has been an exercise. Sure makes life easier, though.
Hey, the reason I'm saying that is because I'm all too familiar with getting it wrong myself... Landing flat on someone's quarte because my distance was hosed-up is my speciality.

Moridin920, as far as sport fencing clubs go I'd suggest just searching the net, send an email ahead of time to ask where they are on the social-competitive spectrum (this might also give you an idea of whether they're nice people, too), and just turn up to a session or two.

The only real advice I can give, regardless of whether you go sport or martial art, is to relax and ease yourself into it. I bought a sabre a while ago off a guy who gave up because he went too hard back into it having had a 10-year hiatus and strained his knee as a result.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

See, I've always heard that with knees any damage is easily avoidable if you're careful not to hyper extend. People have told me that if anything fencing (in general) is actually good for the knees.
Relax and go slow is the biggest thing I always emphasise to anyone learning, but there's always one gung-ho rear end in a top hat who refuses to do anything other than concentrate solely on speed, despite the fact that their form is awful to the point where they're nearly falling over every other lunge. These guys also tend to be the ones turning up in skinny jeans.
In fact, one year's version of That Guy also insisted on fencing barefoot. (I think we ended up barring him from the piste without proper footwear and he disappeared a short while after) :eng99:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh hell no, twirling around is generally super bad for two reasons: firstly, you'll get stabbed while your back is turned, and secondly, you might get stabbed in the back of the head or neck. The second of these is extra super bad unless you're wearing a full helmet, obviously.

What weapon are you learning, and where do your weapons/hands end up after you get the bind? Sure, you can close distance and try to grapple, but as the point of a bind is to hold their blade safely away from your target, it's probably going to be quicker and more effective to just riposte.

Anyway, in other news I just noticed that Uhlmann have come out with a new barrel/tip design that does away with those horrible little grub screws. Holy poo poo. The design looks very simple: the barrel unscrews into two bits, the endmost one holding the tip captive and letting it slide back and forth. You seat a standard spring inside the back half of the barrel, screw the tip-holding bit in so that the spring contacts the interior end of the tip and lets it spring back out, and you're done. These have been way, way too long coming and I want some.

Verisimilidude posted:

This past weekend was FNY, my school's tournament. My pool was crazy tough and I didn't advance, but it was fun regardless. Here's the only video (that I know of) of me fighting at that event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77AE_7GNi0 (I'm the red fighter wearing red socks)

My favorite part is seeing how much I have advanced since I first went to that tournament one year ago, where I got poo poo-stomped in the beginner's tournament. Now I'm getting poo poo-stomped in Open Steel by actual good fencers!
Yeah, it's hard to see everything from that POV but it looks like you put up a good fight. How do the judges' hand signals work (with the little red and blue sticks)?
Also, what the gently caress, youtube? :crossarms:

(No, i'm not logged in with google/youtube/etc.)

Going to see if there are any recordings of the kendo that ImplicitAssembler posted. Hopefully I can follow the action enough...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 9, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ah, bad habits, I know all about those :) I'm trying to break myself from being a one-trick pony on the riposte (reflexively lunge, which doesn't work at all if my opponent knows to back out of range); even though I know what I'm doing wrong, what I want to do, and even in a practise/drill situation, it's so goddamn hard to break the habit.

Kendoworld seems to have a lot of the tournament up here: https://www.youtube.com/user/KendoWorld/videos
Looks pretty awesome, but I don't know what the rules are that govern the periods of time where the competitors are just kinda nudging each other with their weapons. I figure it must be kind of like in boxing where you end up with them just kinda leaning on each other sometimes (I know gently caress all about boxing, clearly), and either someone needs to do something or the ref breaks them up?
Also, it sounds like there's a second bout going on within earshot of the first - surely the screaming coming from one would be horribly offputting for the other match?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

The Holy Queef posted:

This thread is loving amazing when read with gizoogle.net

end of shitpost

Inconceivable.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

I'm fairly certain I can put an Uhlmann barrel+tip on an LP foil blade. What about the wires though? Can any wire go with any barrel?
I've re-tipped a LP blade with an Uhlmann tip before, I think the blade/barrel thread is standard. Not sure about the wire, though - do you have the wire and tip you want to use on hand?

Thewireguy, are you saying you're fencing barefoot? If so then :stare:
Re blisters and things, I've had no problems just with ordinary socks and a pair of generic well-fitting trainers.
I didn't tie my laces tight enough a few weeks back, though, and my foot slid forwards inside the shoe hard enough to put a big bruise under my toenail. Deceleration at the end of a lunge can be brutal, apparently.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

thewireguy posted:

Yup, fencing barefoot. I don't know any better and that is how it is. 6 th class tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Whoa, definitely wear some closed shoes - you don't need anything special, sneakers or trainers of some description will be fine. It'll be way easier on your feet and if your opponent spazzes out and accidentally steps on your foot (or stabs it), you'll be really glad you were wearing something. Good luck to you, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

This seems to bet he consensus. I have raided the club armoury and found a few full uhlmann points as well as some wires which I believe to be uhlmann/German.
If you have all the bits, you could just assemble the barrel, spring, wire and tip without a blade to see if they all fit together OK. Nothing's permanent until you glue the wire into the blade, anyway...

I'd have thought that barefoot would be worse for HEMA, given that the blades look a lot stiffer? I know that target is all way above the feet, but all it takes is for someone to spaz out and lose control of a cut/thrust for half a second and suddenly it ends up in the wall, floor, etc.