Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

As we’re an isolated island nation and did some serious lockdown early on, New Zealand is up and running.
I did have a really cool moment the other day when i ran a newbie through some basic attack and parry-riposte drills, then watched him apply it and turn the tables on another fencer who he hadn’t been able to beat earlier in the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I made a thread for fencing in the Olympics forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974420

Unless someone else does first I might repost Cessna's brilliant rundown in there later on.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hell yeah swords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcs3OwrkcR4

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Has anyone else here tried painting their mask? I had what I thought was a good result, left it to dry for 24 hours and went to mask over some of it to lay down a second colour. However the generic masking tape I'm using seems to be taking some of the paint off with it. I can probably touch up the damage later on but I feel like I'm making some classic mistake here (e.g. paint layer too thick, needs a second coat, needs longer to dry etc).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Awesome. A little touch-up fixed the foil mask, and I copied a video from Leon Paul for the sabre mask that has them painting thin layers from quite side-on angles, and quickly wiping the front of the mesh before the paint dries too much. I think I haven't really compromised the conductivity - it's hard to see in my crappy photo but all the front-most bits of mesh are totally clean on their front surfaces. That and I'm too old and bad at sabre to go to a comp where they might care, foil's my main and you real sabreurs would be disgusted to see my weird awkward marching attack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You don’t need to carry a knife, we think you are cool without one. You can trust us, we’re from the Internet.

Re foil vs sabre, the long lockout time in foil plus it being a point weapon really does let you get away with being slower/ older. At any rate i figure unless you have goals to get super competitive and win competitions, then just do whichever weapon makes you happy on any given day. I think the back and forth of foil is why I like it so much myself though :)

I’ve had a go with a couple of wireless systems, the enpointe is fairly good but I’ve seen it intermittently give out during bouts, almost like there was an internal connection that was dying. Could just have been dodgy batteries though (and also my dodgy gear too perhaps). I think I’ve also used a favero epee system, that was also good but would sometimes fail to register if we got too sweaty.
Bottom line is that both systems were ok but not as reliable as wired.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cessna posted:

The reason I'm fencing is to support my son. He's a dedicated foil fencer; he trains constantly, fences at national competitions, and has made it to Junior Olympics twice. I fence because - well, I'm going to be at the school anyway, so I can either sit on the sidelines or get in a workout. Going to a different style isn't really an option at this point, but thanks for the suggestion!

That is cool and you are a cool parent.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I'm in lockdown again, haven't fenced in ten weeks and not sure when poo poo is going to subside - this just happened last weekend AAAAUGH PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/453781/long-hangover-looms-for-north-shore-party-attendees

Anyway this guy knows what's up

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Did anyone else catch the sabre GP? It was pretty wild, some great matches and unusual results. As well as Kim Junghwan being an absolute beast and making Oh look like a chump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTf-43nW-q8

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh wow, I'm sorry it was a lovely day, they should have let you run sabre even if just for fun. It is cool that they accommodated the wheelchair fencer, though, i haven't seen much of it but it seems like a blast. Also really brutal, without the ability to step out of range it seems like a knife fight. I'm sure I'd get taken apart in seconds.

Re fleche in foil, yeah, it's a gimmick move that has a niche use - it's basically a lunge that doesn't have recovery as an option. Treat it the same as a sabre flunge: if you can spot the tell that it's coming, you should be able to make it fall short, then you can parry and riposte. My favourite is a nice big sweeping parry 2 and then stab them in the gut as they try to run past.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dang, yeah, that's not a particularly graceful response.
The EU got his boat, too: https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2022/03/02/germans-seize-russian-billionaire-alisher-usmanovs-mega-yacht/

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nope, but I figure it's promising that they bill themselves as being hema weapon manufacturers who also make swords, rather than purveyors of the finest hanzo steel to the discerning Street Sword practitioner.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Do you find that new trainees take a while to get used to the idea of hitting someone with their shinai? One of the things I find more difficult to teach a new fencer is to confidently hit their opponent, it feels like it takes some people a long time to realise that it won't hurt and to stop pulling their attacks.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

kiminewt posted:

Wasn't sure whether to post in this thread or the martial arts one, but here goes:

I do kendo, a Japanese fencing martial art using a bamboo sword called a "shinai". Been doing it for about 17 years (with a ~3 year stop in the middle), currently hold a 4th dan and I've competed in international competitions including the European and world championships.

If anyone has anything they might be wondering about kendo, I'll be more than happy to answer.

This is a nice video about fencers trying kendo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YW4M0Csfo
Seems like there quite a bit that's the same (mostly in the more general sense which also applies to martial arts or even fighting videogames, but also things regarding distance etc.), but all the while there's quite a bit that's very different. I've taught some people who came over from fencing and there's quite a few habits that are hard to break.

I'm watching the video and want to try kendo now. The structure and instructors are really nice in explaining the sport well. Do you get mad calluses on your feet from the sliding motion? Is there an equivalent to the fencing lunge, i.e. a finishing body motion that gives you more distance in a single action than a step, but at the cost of needing to recover posture to regain normal mobility afterwards?
I do feel like they missed the mark a bit in choosing 3 epeeists for the piece, since a lot of epee is about stabbing rather than cutting and has no priority. The concept as they explain it of unity in mind, body and sword to make a scoring hit resonates with me as a foilist because it feels a lot like our concept of priority - I'd be really interested to see what would happen if they had used sabreurs instead. Slashing weapon, really fast footwork, and winning or losing the point often depends on announcing to the ref (and your opponent) through posture, action and timing that you are indeed planning to make a hit. Plenty of yelling too of course :)

I think I had to explain isoku itto to a newbie the other week, and the concept of breaking the middle also feels familiar. But how good does your form need to be to score - is the threshold affected by your opponent or your own skill level?

[edit] Now I'm watching the other one where they swap roles - I don't know how much practise was edited out, but the kendoka are picking up good fencing form impressively quickly.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 3, 2022

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think you're both right in different ways, the setup and timing seems very epee. And you're saying in the case of both kendoka having good form etc it's hit first rather than start the attack first?
On the other hand, yeah, having to signal your target and the concept of unity also seems very RoW.
I guess I'll have to try it out and feel it for myself :)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Huh, yeah, that's a very interesting question - is it initiation to set up a counter-attack? Or is the setup preparation?
I think I would say no since a counter is by definition not an attack, but i also think that the timing makes it clear that the counter was successful and your opponent's attack failed.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

But if you intentionally force an opponent to attack, so that you can counter it, who is really attacking first? :)

Sort of! The way I've been told to interpret it for fencing refereeing, though, is that in that moment, you are not attacking *yet* but instead making a provocation or invitation for your opponent to launch a (predictable) attack. Just because you might be in control of the mental game doesn't make their attack any less of an attack because if they hit you through your counter, then your counter wasn't much good.
The logic here is dependent on that last part, i.e. assuming that a good counterattack must not be a double/simultaneous hit. Do you have the same idea in kendo, and how much leeway/time between strikes is allowed to call simultaneous? I'm always having my rear end handed to me in epee and sabre once my opponent realises that I'm very used to foil's 300ms.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I think it comes down to the definition of "attack". We use a narrow one where it's simply an attempt to bring the blade to the target, but I get the idea that someone might want to use a wider definition where it also includes control of the situation to facilitate bringing the blade correctly to target.
Yeah it's probably just a matter of semantics, but enjoying good-natured discussion around this is one of the things i like about fencing and related sword activities.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hazzard posted:

I would guess he's trying to deny the opponent his blade, stopping them from either taking priority, or doing a beat action to displace Lefort's blade. Both of which could get him hit. And what he does with his left hand looks like it's helping him balance. You can see him clearly throw his off-hand behind him on a couple of lunges, which I think helps with balance. I do it a lot more with heavier swords, like my 1.3 kg basket-hilt.

Agreed, as a foilist this is to keep the blade where it's difficult to find and parry, so he doesn't reveal his real line of attack until it's too late. Varying your hand position on the approach can also screw up your opponent's sense of distance - I like to change the length of my en garde position from point to point, and quite often it lets me creep in close enough to get a fast attack off that my opponent thought was going to fall short.

That's also a very nice looking sword!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, what's frustrating it about it? I find it fun for a change every so often, but I'm just not fit enough to keep up in the 4m.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cessna posted:

Maybe you can, but I'm having a tough time with it, enough to the point that I'm frustrated and feel like I'm making no progress or improvement.

Well maybe a change will be fun, it doesn't have to be forever. Foil will always be my first love, i think, but it's nice to do a bit of the other weapons from time to time. Keeps me honest.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

- Cutting edge/point only.
- Accelerometers as well as contact.
- stiffer blades
High-level fencers are terrifyingly strong and skilled, and would have no problem doing exactly what they do right now with accelerometers, stiffer blades and insulation on the flat of the blade - just perhaps a higher rate of equipment damage and injury. While this would be interesting, the issue is more about subjectivity in the current refereeing "case law" when both fencers charge in right off the mark and (almost) simultaneously smack each other, and that the way the rules currently are seems to heavily favour this kind of play.
Cyrus explains his take on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqgSFAQ-AcU
I think he's right about back-and-forth making for interesting fights - although as a foilist I may be biased. I'm not 100% convinced about shorter timing being the key but hell, I'd be willing to give it a go if it makes things clearer for both the ref and the audience. In order to split calls in the middle 4m I'm told to look for commitment to the attack, which can come from either the hand or the feet. It's incredibly difficult - different fencers have different tells and styles that you have to pick up on, and everything happens incredibly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, anything that makes things less likely to put the ref in a situation where they have to make a really tight call, I'm willing to give a try. I remember fencing with the old 120ms timing and getting annoyed by epee-style counterattacks and remises, but I put that squarely down to a skill issue on my part. But trying to figure out what's going on right now with things like Alshamlan's giant leap forwards being or not being a prep sucks hard.

When there's no ref available I quite like to do what I call "tennis rules", where someone has priority right from the get-go and it switches every point.