Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Guys help me out. I need to wire some foils, how do I keep the wire taut while the glue sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah I can bow it alright, there's a shelf set up just for that at the shop. On the last one I did, I missed a spot with the glue and the tape had slipped, so the wire popped up proud when I straightened the blade. I tried salvaging it with more glue but I don't think the outlook's good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

I was shown to give it a few wraps around the threading on the tang
This did the trick, thanks a bunch!

But today I realized the shop had cut the tangs too short for my long-rear end grips. :suicide:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The PBT model A1 is about a centimeter longer than most pistol grips, it seems. The tang's cut exactly flush with the bottom of the hole where the nut goes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rule #1 of buying HEMA gear: Ask your instructor. Lots of teachers have their own pet preferences. Lots of old school teachers demand fingered steel gauntlets, for instance, while the sporty generation forbids those and says to buy Sparring Gloves instead.

SPES and Black Armoury are good places to source protective kit. Sparring Gloves make popular gloves. Regenyei and Kvetun make good, reasonably prices fencing swords. Field hockey shin guards go well with long socks. If you're in the States, sorry, you gotta order almost everything through an importer.

Don't buy cheap knockoff stuff like Red Dragon unless you know you need some specific thing. Don't buy Neyman, they can't stick to deadlines.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you have smaller hands, those things can get in the way. A couple of people at my club just hacksaw theirs down to an inch.

But if you got an actual bruise, my guess is you're death-gripping the epee real hard and need to relax. Try not to bend your wrist, it should be relaxed and neutral.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, just roll in, you're far from the first office worker drawn into HEMA. Many clubs structure their curriculums with that in mind, even.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can buy a perfect second feder
Scientifically impossible. I'm sorry.

In general you'll want whatever your instructor recommends. If they go "buy whatever I guess" you should get what everyone else has, just so you don't accidentally get something massively harder or softer and feel bad about chewing a sword up. I'd probably recommend the Regenyei Short, but the standard Reg is completely fine too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

removing the off-target in foil
Beg your pardon? :what:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You should expect to get a set of blisters on your palms opposite your knuckles and maybe on the first joints of some fingers, but that goes away with time.

But to be entirely honest I've never ever seen anyone actually have to tape themselves up because of blisters. Try ditching the gloves? I can't imagine wearing sweat-drenched gloves is good for your skin.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You really shouldn't get any more blisters than you would get from swinging axes and hammers. The only explanations I can think of are a) your gloves suck and b) you're gripping the sword too hard.

The sword has a knob on the end to keep it in your hand, don't worry about it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

These are the only blue gloves I found, do you mean these?

I'm repeating myself but seriously ditch your gloves and see what happens. I've not used this particular model more than a couple of times but I know that they're really stiff and the cut is weird. The glove shouldn't be tight either, it should just... fit. You certainly shouldn't have to break a pair in over actual months. Poorly fitting gloves chafe and make you choke the life out of the sword.

They're not even that protective in a longsword context.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A correct cut naturally has a "drawing" component to its arc because of body mechanics. When you hold the sword in the conventional "handshake" grip the blade is at an angle to your forearm, which means it won't meet the target perfectly perpendicular and the sword will naturally bite into the target easier. In addition, when you make a boring old descending diagonal cut, the movement of your shoulders and hips will turn the arc of the sword into an ellipse which means that the sword is drawn through the target as you cut into it.

My completely uninformed guess is that you're either hyperextending your wrists to reach further, or you're cutting without proper extension in the arms and shoulders, or both. Can't really help you more without video.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm glad that helped! I've never actually cut a thing, I just parrot things I read on the Internet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you’re struggling with good form, you can start out cutting without stepping. Footwork changes the trajectory of the cut and can be a big distraction when you're focusing on what your hands and arms are doing.

Just, uh, remember to put your right foot forward when you cut from the right.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Which art, anyway? The art of cutting with a single step forward? :v:

The trajectory of the cut changes depending on where and how you step anyway, it's fine to learn the mechanics of "swinging a sword" standing still. Obviously you need to move beyond that once you're comfortable with it, but that goes for any practice anyway.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Look up KneePro, those are what many competitive longsworders use. I've heard good things about Neyman knees but Neyman is notoriously bad at shipping things on time.

Also get a set of field hockey shin guards and padded fencing pants while you're at it. Some people fence longsword in unpadded pants, but it's not a good idea until you know what the gently caress. Trust me on this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is that it marks a point where it's the swordsman's turn to "win" with a cut to the arm. Instead of trusting the swordsman to not smash his arm the naginata guy just pulls his arm out of the way first and then spins away to become a "new challenger".

Or it's just aesthetics, who knows.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYPyhr_Fno

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

In modern fencing terms there's no right of way and the lockout timer is super long. Different target areas have different points values and in case of double touch, the lower is subtracted from the higher.

So wading in close and helicoptering at the other guy's head is a solid plan.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I bet you'd love some Errol Flynn movies.

Edit: Mark Hamill explains why they didn't do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM&t=213s

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 23, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't know the school but they say they're a branch of Greg Mele's Chicago Swordplay Guild. Mele's been working on Fiore since the beginning of time so he's got a thorough perspective on the book. They probably don't fence nearly as often as the SCA guys do, however, and you’re guaranteed to meet at least half a dozen Sword Dads with medieval turnshoes and walls full of really expensive weapons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Medieval re-enactment events and HEMA clubs run by middle-aged upper middle class dudes.

The two aren't entirely the same crowd but there's significant overlap.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of sport HEMA, Tyrnhaw's going on and they've got a livestream. Rapier and dagger finals going on at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFnuBK-6CM

Edit: The Youtube stream shat itself so they streamed the finals on Tyrnhaw's facebook page. Not sure if there will be a recording or not. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tyrnhaw/

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 19, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Congrats on the point, at least? :ohdear:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lemme just repost then here for convenience's sake:

The high septime is an Italian thing I think ("mezzo cerchio" in Italian), it's kinda like parrying in prime but it lets you keep the point in line.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh yeah, thrusting targets are everywhere in fencing clubs and there's even ones with lights that light up in random patterns available.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For drills, you're unfortunately a bit out of luck. There just isn't that much solo training material for either weapon out there. Your best bet are the Bolognese masters of the 16th century (Manciolino, Marozzo and the anonymous one) since a lot of their material is solo forms, but Joachim Meyer (also from the 16th century) might also have something. And that's it.

You can get wooden swords from Purpleheart Armory. I don't really know any company making a replica of a sword like the Dark Souls one since to be quite honest, the proportions are all wrong. Kult of Athena sells a ton of various kinds of sharp swords though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If money is not an object, Albion Swords and Arms and Armor make great replicas.

Solo training material for HEMA of any kind is kind of scarce, unfortunately. The Bolognese sources are the only period material I can think of that have any meaningful stuff for solo practice. They've got stuff for the single sword (and you can entirely well use a simple cross-hilted sword for it), sword and buckler, and two-handed sword, and some polearms and other stuff besides.

However, if you just want to get training, I'd recommend checking this out:

10 Beers posted:

Figured there might some interest in this here. Guy Windsor is offering his online training course for $20. Normally $500, so jump on it if you're interested!

https://swordschool.teachable.com/p/solo-training
I've trained with Guy and his stuff is honestly pretty good. I might quibble about certain details of his interpretations but I've found his teaching materials very solid.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nektu posted:

The protection for the back of the head thats used in HEMA could make this safe however.
Not until HEMA people learn to wear fencing masks that fit. :v: If this had been a HEMA competition, the mask would have been halfway to the stands by the time the dude hit the floor.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's the thing, lots of people seem to go a size up to fit a rugby cap in there because they don't want to get bonked on the head, and honestly I do get that. The issue is, if the mask doesn't fit snug to their actual head it can turn and twist and, in bad cases, fall right off in the action. The mask's own padding should rest squarely on the bit of forehead between your brow and hairline, and snugly both against and under your chin. Speaking with a mask on should not be 100% comfortable.

I'm absolutely convinced that a poorly-fitting mask is the culprit in all cases of "waffles" where the mesh of the mask doesn't permanently deform but still somehow hits the fencer in the face hard enough to draw blood.

Edit: Full disclosure I've never gone hard in my life and I'm just shouting from my armchair here. But like, come on if the mask is apparently fine afterwards, surely it's turned on the head??

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can also do it against any masked opponent, but you might end up getting dunked.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Veteran foilists, on the other hand, are terrifying psychics.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh yeah that’s the tournament where they specifically and explicitly wrote the rules to test the participants' throws, and then this guy got thrown and hurt and made a huge deal about it on facebook.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I swear on my mum the only reason that looks bad is because the guy getting thrown has zero clue what's going on.

The reason the thrower throws his sword away is so they won’t accidentally land on it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That’s about as nice a suplex as you can do with all the gear on. Like, that’s how you finish a suplex. From a grappling point of view there really wasn’t anything wrong with it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Replay that video but imagine nobody had masks on.
No.

It's wank like this that makes me want to sell my kit and go do real sports.