Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOgSOXSjthE

When someone thinks it for real...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Oh yeah that’s the tournament where they specifically and explicitly wrote the rules to test the participants' throws, and then this guy got thrown and hurt and made a huge deal about it on facebook.

Well,there's throwing and then there's driving the guy into the ground. The last bit of it was a total jerk move. (Not to mention throwing his sword into the crowd).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it's one of the issues I think HEMA has: It wants to be realistic, but it also wants to be a sport...but it really hard to be both
Olympic fencing has totally surrendered to being a sport, kendo has become a stylized martial art, with a strong philosophical aspect + a sports die, but it's really obscure to outsiders.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, having now fenced Epee for more than 3 months, I'm now obviously an expert on all matters olympic fencing, but...the current state of sabre fencing just seems like complete nonsense to me.
I can largely understand (and recognize) the RoW in foil, but in sabre, it is soo marginal that it's largely unwatchable.
You go back to say, the 2012 Olympics and it's largely watchable, but the current stuff?.
I think that technology has evolved enough that they should try accelerometers in the weapons again and make them actually 'cut', rather than just touch...which would probably also mean they would need stiffer blades. (in order to reliably read the deceleration)...
Or at the very least, move them further away from eachother, rather than the 1-step-attack that they have now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wouldn't a shorter lockout time be a better solution? Or am I just not understanding it well enough.
Shorter lockout would make parry-ripose more effective, no?.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It took me a while to understand. I somehow thought the lockout time, was the time in which both lights would go on.
So yes, increase lock-out time and then also stiffer blades :D

It was my intention when I started fencing that I would move on to saber, but I have my doubts now. Also, by far the majority of adults do epee and in many ways it's also the closest to my kendo background...OTOH, I'm also short, especialy by epee standards (5'8"), but I'm also not planning on entering the olympics any time soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

Serious Q: kendo is a snap decision kinda sport right? Like, lots of slow set up to build towards an exchange that lasts all of a quarter of a second, if that? If so, that sounds like epee.

Yes, it's quite similar. A popular expression is "win, then strike". On the other hand, scoring is subjective...Well, it's not supposed to be but you need:
- To have created the opportunity (not just randomly hitting).
- Strike with the correct part of the shinai (top 3rd and with the 'cutting' side) and sufficient force.
- Strike the correct part of the opponents armor.
- With the mind and body as one.
- With correct awareness after the strike.

The last 2 are the hardest for outsiders to understand and for me to explain, but roughly translates to hitting with a coordinated and intentionally executed attack, with full commitment and awareness.

The quality of all this will vary depending on the experience of the practitioner, so what will get you a point in the lower grade divisions, will be ignored at the higher levels.
This also means that the referees needs to be more experienced than the people they're judging. This isn't always the case, but with 3 referees and at least 2 of those would have to agree, it mostly works out....(except for major competitions, where they do have very experienced referees, who for some reason *always* perform terribly. The world championships can be terrible because of that.)

Anyway..that was a long way of saying, that epee scoring is infinitely more simple. Kendo is also, in general, far more attack-oriented. There is, in principle, no such thing as defending* and it's primarily based on putting pressure on the opponent and creating an opportunity to attack.

* You will never be taught parry on it's own. It will always be part of a compound deflect/riposte action.

On a similar note, there is, in theory, no simultanous attacks. One side will always hit before the other and in close calls, you wil usually look at who created the opportunity. so in some sense, there *is* a RoW .

Confused yet?:D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Part of that awareness is meant to be being prepared for a strike from a 'dying' opponent, is it not? That's something I wish HEMA scoring was better about, a lot of the tourney bouts you can watch should end in doubles because so many throw away all pretense of defense.

MmmMmmm, sortof. As with most Japanese martial arts, kendo has a philosophical side as well. Wikipedia actually describes it well:

quote:

In the context of kendō, zanshin is the continued state of spirit, mental alertness and physical readiness to meet the situation (such as an opposing attack) that must be maintained when one returns to kamae after attacking. It is one of the essential elements that define a good attack

So, you can be hit after the attack, but if you maintain correct posture and awareness...it wont count...whereas if your posture/focus relaxes and the opponent follows up and strikes you, then you initial attack will be ignored/waved off.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Anyway, kendo RoW sounds pretty interesting, are there any recordings of bouts out there with commentary?

Mmm, not a lot. Andy Fisher got some 'analysis' videos, but they have a lot of kendo terminology, which may make them a little hard to digest.
Quick guide: You have 4 targets: 3 cuts: 'Men' (top of the head), 'Kote' (right* forearm), 'Do' (side of the torso) and 'Tsuki' thrust to the throat.
Competitions are best of 3 points, ties go to OT.
'Seme' roughly translates to 'preparation'.
'Oji-waza' = counter techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXoyFsd3bM4
This is for a promotional exam and points aren't counted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVVT_UB1-68&t=124s
From All Japan Championships.

*In any other stance than 'middle stance', left forearm also becomes a valid target.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

Also (at least here in Finland) pushing your opponent out of the ring is both permissible and gives you a point.

Not quite, it'll give you a 'penalty point' of which you need two before before the oppponent gets a point. Also the 'pushing' has to be part of an attacking action, otherwise the pusher will get a penalty point.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fencing has only been 'closed' for the last set of restrictions. Before that, it ran with limited capacity. The last 5 weeks, it's been juniors and high performance (national level) only and private lessons. It should open up to almost normal next week.
Been working with 2 coaches. One, more traditional drills., the other on 'how to fight', so mostly working on prep. Epee is very similar to kendo in that regard.

Kendo did a soft restart last week. Drills only, no contact. I *think* we might go back to regular practice next week, if not then on July 1st (Depending on infection rates, but it's looking good at the moment).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kendo is now back to normal. Masks still required, but it's ok. We might even fit in a tournament or two this year. I'd also forgotten just how much physically harder kendo is (than fencing).

Fencing is also back to normal. Was really weird going back to fencing peers again. Having mostly fenced coaches over the last 2-3 months, where I ended up attacking most of the time, I had a hard time adjusting to people attacking *me*!. How dare they!.
To compensate, I bought a fancy Harut epee grip. I'm sure that will make my fencing much better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

For Epee, Heinzer from Switzerland is probably the most entertaining to watch, although I'm much more a fan of Yannick Borrel.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Listen to your mom.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If there was a larger adult contingent doing foil, I wouldn't mind trying it...but virtually all adults/vets are doing Epee, so I'll stick with that. (Also now having invested in fancy grips/blades, I'd better stick with it!)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Umanov handling it as gracefully as I would expect. (Good riddance).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

In my experience (5th dan, 25 years or so), fencers pick it up faster than your average person. The squared off stance takes a bit of time, but they'll have more body awareness in general and understand distance and timing.
Mind you, the relatively small sample have all been Epeeist, which is in my experience much closer to kendo in terms of how you fight.
Sabreurs, I wouldn't touch them with a long stick :D. (Just about everything saber does is different).
I also picked up fencing/epee about 18 months ago and have found the transition relatively easy. By far the biggest issue is extending the arm before moving,
Timing and opportunity in Epee is very very similar to kendo. The mechanics are way more delicate and it's very hard to progress without private lessons with the coach.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I do feel like they missed the mark a bit in choosing 3 epeeists for the piece, since a lot of epee is about stabbing rather than cutting and has no priority. The concept as they explain it of unity in mind, body and sword to make a scoring hit resonates with me as a foilist because it feels a lot like our concept of priority

I'd argue it's the other way around. The RoW makes foil/sabre very different concepts than kendo. Sure, obviously you need to hit correctly, with correct posture etc, but everything up to that is extremely similar to epee. The way I set up attacks in epee is very similar to what I do in kendo and I have largely been able to apply my kendo timing to epee.

kiminewt posted:

The other is fumikomi, which is similar to the lunge you describe.

Fumikomi refers to the stomping action of the front foot. Fumikiri is the pushing action with the rear foot and is a better comparable to the lunge in fencing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, let me put it in a different way: The actions of the opponent are largely irrelevant when it comes to judging points in kendo. If you hit first (with sufficient quality), it's your point.
So, yes, there's quality requirements, but the actions of the opponent aren't a major issue.*

*There's a bunch of caveats to this, but not really relevant to the concepts of this topic.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I think you're both right in different ways, the setup and timing seems very epee. And you're saying in the case of both kendoka having good form etc it's hit first rather than start the attack first?

Yes. A very common type of attack is what we call 'debana', which is essentially the counter-attack of kendo.
Essentially there's 3 timings in kendo:
- Just before the opponent start to move.
- Just as they're starting the attack (counter)
- Middle of the attack (parry-riposte)

It's simplifying the concepts a fair bit.
Now at higher levels, there's an argument that even if you do a debana attack (or counter technique), it's because you set it up and as such *you* started the attack.

quote:

On the other hand, yeah, having to signal your target and the concept of unity also seems very RoW.
I guess I'll have to try it out and feel it for myself :)

Just to make clear: You don't have to signal the target beforehand.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 4, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

But if you intentionally force an opponent to attack, so that you can counter it, who is really attacking first? :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kiminewt posted:

I'm aware, but they're usually bunched together, at least here (Europe). I don't think I've heard people refer to fumikiri as something separate except in videos and books.

Right, but you can do fumikomi on the spot (oji-waza) or going backwards (hiki-waza) and sometimes you don't need to do it at all.
Fumikomi , as a part of the basic tobikomi-men is a byproduct of A: trying to achieve kikentai and B: continuing the forward momentum.
It's certainly a separate concept here (Vancouver and I believe on the West Coast in general) and I've heard it several times in Japan as well.

quote:

On a personal note, I has a tournament last weekend that ended in disappointment, after having trained for it for a long time. Two loses, one draw and a win - plus my team lost in the pools. Usually these kinda loses give a lot of motivation (my coach gave me a long list of things to work on) but because I'm injured and can't work on them right away I've withdrawn to a bit of a malajse.

I assume this was the Europeans?. The new rules has made it far more enjoyable to watch. Both the EKC and WKC used to be dreadful with uber-defensive play and hours spent in tsubazeriai. Rukas, the runner-up used to be one of 'my' students many moons ago.

Despite being older and slower I still compete and will hopefully continue to do so, although I my travel limit is now 3 hours driving.
You have to ask yourself what you want out of it. Sure, we all want to win, but most people that isn't a realistic outcome. I've long know that I was decent, but never had the talent to compete with the top. A good draw would maybe get me to the semis, most likely quarters, before I ran into a 'name'.
(We never have any pools here, it's straight to elimination).
So, my primary objective is now to perform to best of my ability. Win/lose is kinda secondary, but my point is that if you performed to a large extent, with your own kendo, on your own terms, then you should be, if not happy, then at least content with the outcome. My last EKC (Helsinki 2008?) was dreadful and I very much let the situation get to me and tried *way* too hard. Even the 'easy' opponent in my group, which I would have walked all over on a regular day was a giant battle to get a single scrappy point. I was sooo pissed of with myself. All that training and preparation thrown out the window.
I had in advance signed up to do my 4th dan exam the same afternoon and my initial reaction was to skip it, but since I've already paid for it, I went 'gently caress it'. Left my bokuto behind, because I surely wouldn't need them...and I absolutely murdered my opponents and had to sprint back to get my bokuto for the kata.

Anyway! Heal up. Don't stop competing, but at least for now, approach them with a "I just want to do my kendo" mindset and you'll find it far more beneficial in the long run rather than focusing on 'winning' and probably also a lot more enjoyable. If you then later, find that you still have one more major tournament left in you then change gears and put in the hours, etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

The person who attacks first is attacking first. Just because it was an ill-advised attack provoked by an action doesn't make it less of an attack.

But also that is a meaningless question in epee.

E: an attack by second intention is slightly different, in that I can attack trying to provoke a specific action, which I can then counter. I am still attacking, however. I would not call, for instance, a nonthreatening move into range or opening my guard an attack, even if my intent is to provoke a response that I intend to take advantage of. That is merely positioning and distance control.

E2: though yes, that timing issue does make it seem that at least kendo shares some of that timing with epee. What is the window to call for simultaneous hits? Or what is my obligation to defend? Hypothetically, if I provoke an attack and land a hit prior to my opponent's hit, how much earlier do I have to land it to be my provocation via "debana" (hopefully using that right) and not just a simultaneous attack and suicidal neglect of defense? Or is that referee discretion?

E3: and just making sure, but "hit" in this case always has the caveat of "hit in a way that the referee interprets it as an attack",right? If A provokes an attack, B attacks, and then A flails around in a way that lands a hit on B first but doesnt have sufficient intention/criteria to be an attack, and B hits A late but with that criteria met, it is B's point, yes?

It's semantics, mostly..however, at higher grades it becomes very important to be able (and understand how) to control the opponent in such a manner. At higher level examinations (for a higher rank), hitting first is less important than creating and controlling the opportunity, similarly as striking just purely based on speed, without reason, will result in a failure.

As for simultaneous hit, they don't officially exist. Someone always hits first. However, in very close call, the person who appeared to initiate the attack will likely get the call.

Finally, yes a hit has to be an obvious attack. It has be be carried out with correct technique and intention (and to some extent, reason).

A lot of this is what makes kendo quite inapprehensible for the outsider...and frankly, that's just fine. The philosophical aspect of kendo is what makes it attractive to most of it's practioners

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I should clarify that: Most people start because the gear looks cool and you can pretend to be a samurai: People who stay, still thinks the gear looks cool (and pretends to be samurai) but stick with it because of the individual growth that it offers. Even as your physical abilities start to decline, the mental side of it will continue to grow and you'll still be able to practice (and beat) younger/faster people.
My previous teacher passed away at 76 and practiced up until a few weeks before his death and I still couldn't touch him. His understand of how to make people move/react along with a complete lack of fear of being hit made him near impossible to hit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is fairly interesting video about the history of kendo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_NwitaquM

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really want to like sabre, but it's just too silly. And often you can ask 4 different referees and get 4 different opinions.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very cool. I've moved to a fencing wasteland and nearest club is 450kms away, with another 2-300km for an Epee club :/.
(Kendo is also 450km and I get about 1 session per month now).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cessna posted:

Saw this grip at a tournament last weekend. It's 3d printed titanium:

I didn't want to spend THAT much, so I bought this instead. It weighs 46 grams:

I love the applied technology.

Do you need to add a large weight to balance it? Or is that less of an issue with pistol grips?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I saw that and I'm not surprised.
When you can ask 3 different referees about a fairly basic judgement and get 3 different answers that are all legitimate, you got a problem and it was the biggest reason I didn't pick up saber. Love the dynamics of it, but the margins in scoring are just too small.
Things I would like to see (Which may or may not be practical)
- Cutting edge/point only.
- Accelerometers as well as contact.
- stiffer blades

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Right, so the idea with my suggestions was to make it slightly harder to actually make contact, which would (?) make the attacks (and/or parries) more obvious.
I'm not a sabreur, though, just a meddling epeeist and not-so-meddling kendo-ist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

There's always Sports Chanbara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIopjGzJeM