Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
I did Fencing in high school (I was a weird rich kid at a weird rich kid's school), and my abiding memory is that it did actually hurt (not enormously, but enough to be more than simply unpleasant) to get hit, even with foils, let alone epee/sabre. It is entirely possible we had badly fitted equipment and whatnot, though.

My first question is sort of a pedagogical one - our instructor was rather insistent that we used french grip weapons so that we'd use our fingers, not our wrists. As a rebellious idiot of a teenager, I disobeyed immediately and acquired a pistol grip, and after becoming much less of an idiot have always idly wondered if I should have listened to the instructor. My second question is more loosely related to teaching methods - I recall being taught various parries named in accordance with french numbers, and drilling them relentlessly, but the speed with which fencers engage in competition seems to preclude anything except pre-planned sequences or nearly reflexive reactions - how can engagements be more than a rather more complicated version of rock/paper/scissors when speeds are so high (I know they must be but it boggles my mind)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU