Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Whoa just found out this thread exists! I've been fencing for almost 20 years (started at 7), and I've been coaching for some seven or so years. I'm a foil and epée coach (with a FIE coaching diploma because 3rd world :unsmith:) and a FIE referee with a B license in epée. Ask me anything about batshit crazy kids, batshit crazy adults, batshit crazy parents, and batshit crazy fencers/coaches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Awesome! What's involved in getting FIE qualified?
Lots of politics. I literally refereed every single local, regional, and national tournament for a couple of years. Got vouched by the regional federations and then sent to the exam. I can ref the three weapons, but I only did the epée one. You must know the rulebook by heart and, especially, you HAVE to enforce it no matter what.

quote:

batshit crazy kids
One of the major issues with fencing over here is that it has always been associated with the military/filthy rich, so people are often prejudiced towards it. Everybody knows fencing exists, but not many people know they can actually practice it. This means that we always end up getting the stragglers from other sports (which is both a good thing and a bad thing!). I had this little girl who just didn't fit in the field hockey team, so her mom sent her to fencing as a "last chance" type of deal. Her parents are the smelly hippy with rich as gently caress parents kind of people, so the poor little thing had some serious issues going on. One day I was repairing some foils/wires with a screwdriver set like this one and she told me that they looked like the tools from a serial killer. Then (out of nowhere) she proceeded to tell me how she would kill everyone in there with every single piece of it. :stonk: Apparently her parents let (and encouraged) her to watch Dexter with them or something.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Holy poo poo. I mean, it's pretty hard to hurt someone with a foil but I sure as gently caress don't ever want to fence this person. On the other hand, a few years back I fenced with a guy who was ex-korean navy, and a club at dinner/drinks thing he regaled us with stories of how they apparently get trained to kill anyone with anything. I couldn't really tell how much was bullshit, but one of our female members once asked him for some self-defense tips. He demonstrated how you grab the attacker's wrist, get them into an armlock and trip them to the ground... followed by "and then you stomp on their throat like this and they die". Nice guy, though.

She had potential, but her parents were dumb hippies who thought we should've paid more attention to her during classes (we're talking about ~30 -12 kids with three coaches in two two-hour classes, two times a week). She reached the podium in several local and regional tournaments, so of course her parents though her little killer snowflake was better than the rest of the kids in her group. Anyways, her mom sent me a 300 word text message telling me that her daughter would quit fencing because we're a bunch of lazy fuckers who can't recognize talent. vOv I did my best to bring her back, but when parents go MUH KIDS there's no point in doing so.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

In olympic fencing news, Vezzali retired today, for real this time. Even though I personally wasn't a huge fan of her fencing style (and the fact that she merely won bouts thanks to her last name), she's still one if not the best fencers in modern history.

On other news:

:psyduck:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Seth Kelsey is the only fencer I can think of as "fat and ugly." He was a pain to watch, too - horrible guard and footwork -, but epee is like that I guess. vOv

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

curious lump posted:

??????????????????????

Heinzer would love to have a chat with you!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-programme.html

So... This happened.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

http://rio2016.fie.org/media/news/view-news/1418

This turd of a game has me hooked. Maybe we should open up a goon club?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Siivola posted:

I don't usually share videos of people saying dumb things but :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wyz0D-Z6nI

It's always an "I don't like thing" kind of issue. I don't see a reasob why HEMA/Classical fencing and modern fencing can't coexist as two different things that, sometimes, cater to very different kinds of people. TBH in 18 years of fencing I haven't heard anything bad against HEMA, but HEMA fencers love to bash modern fencing for the above mentioned issue.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

^My thoughts exactly.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Speaking of epee, here's one of my beginner students: https://youtu.be/ABTteZYFXeE

Guy has great reflexes, a quick brain, but a complete lack of self-esteem! He focuses a lot better under pressure, though!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Lunges over his front foot a lot too. I miss having a coach. :sigh:

That's a thing I've been trying to fix since day 1. Kid's too self-conscious for his own good. He's always looking at his feet during drills, which causes lunges to go down instead of forward. I'll try to upload more vids if you guys want to!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Chill & relax is actually half of the training! Fencers are an odd bunch, so psychological training is as important as physical and technical training. I sent this kid to a national yesterday. His objective was winning at least one pool bout. He made it to the DE's, losing in the first bout 15-12. It was a close one, but his nerves got the best of him! Good thing is he was really pleased with his performance, so I guess things will be a bit easier for me from now on!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Fleche 101. Fleches look and feel loving great, especially in epee. They're really exhausting on the coach's side, though. After +10 consecutive hits they start taking their toll on your lower back!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Refereeing a senior men's epee world cup for the entire weekend. Great bouts, good money, terrible food.

https://imgur.com/gthURKY

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

World Cup went great. As expected, olympic champion Park won the individual event against Fichera. The latter got red-carded thrice for touching Park's blade with his unarmed arm. As any good Italian would do, he acted like a huge baby. All four referees, the FIE supervisor, and the entire stadium called on his bullshit. Russia won the team event, with France coming in second place. Even though Russian epeeists don't shine in the individual event, they always do great in the team events. Korea's team might've had the best epeeist in the world, but it's not a cohesive team like Russia's. On another note, I didn't cause an international incident this time! :v: Some coaches got yellow-carded pretty early, thankfully! (Coaches count as spectators, so after a yellow card it's a black card!)

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

I'm dumb, but where was this World Cup? I'm also confused, because I'm seeing non-epee friends post about being in Argentina (foil) and France (sabre). I, honestly, thought the events were more staggered than this.

It was in Argentina, actually! You can play Spot the Goon in the FIE Facebook albums if you want to. :v: There are senior world cups for every category every one or two months, iirc. You can check the FIE website for the schedule.

quote:

Was he parrying with the off arm, or something more like the local guy I regularly card for grabbing the opponent's blade with his of hand?

The former, in close quarters when exchanging remises. Pretty hard to spot when refereeing alone, but that's what the two assistant referees and the video referee are for!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

strangemusic posted:

Are there video archives of WC epee anywhere yet?

Recording and streaming equipment is prohibitively expensive for most event organizers, but the FIE YouTube channel uploads the livestreams of the most important events.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Nice. I'm drumming up the courage to go and buy some sabre kit, I have a weapon but need everything else.

I attended a short 1-day reffing course recently, it was amazingly good stuff. And yeah, we got shown some pretty egregious examples of offhand parrying shenanigans. Can you recommend any particularly good bouts from the world cup to watch, either for entertainment or for trying to get better at reffing?

TBH the only way to learn how to ref is by going to as many tournaments as you can and getting poo poo on by everyone everywhere. :v: As for videos, the best thing you can do is watching YouTube replays of WC or Olympic bouts, stop after every hit, and analyze them by yourself. That's what most (if not all) of us do. In fact, that's exactly what you do in the FIE examination!

As for shit_that_actually_happened.txt, here's an issue I ran into in the last epée world cup:

For those of you HEMA folks, this is what a (foil and epée) fencing piste looks like. It's 14m long, with a 2m run off area. If your two feet cross the end line, a point is awarded to your opponent. If your two feet leave the piste by the sides, you have to step back 1m. So, if you leave the piste by the sides when you're too close to the end line, you'll end up crossing it, awarding a point to your opponent. Now, according to the FIE rules the run off section is not part of the piste. So, if the fencer on the left does this:

Did he actually leave the piste? What's your call?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

If you judge them to have gone off the side of the strip first, then they're losing a meter and going off of the end of the strip, anyway. I guess as a theoretical exercise you might give side of the strip priority since it's a stricter boundary (any foot off versus both feet off)

Edit: Yup

So once that first foot crosses the lateral boundary, you're on notice for the purposes of t.26.2, so if you're not making an action at that point, you're toast.

But the 2m run off section is not considered part of the piste by the FIE rules. It's a huge grey area that's not described anywhere. This bout in particular was ISR vs GER. Of course, I awarded the GER fencer a point. The ISR fencer threw a 20 min bitch fit and demanded an opinion from the FIE supervisor, who supported my call. Apparently, some European fencers have been using this loophole for a few years. Everything could be fixed if the FIE Rules commission did something about it. Don't forget that the scoring devices started using fractions of a second since the 2012 Olympics incident. :v:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

What does it not being part of the piste matter for? What's the loophole? Does the lateral boundary technically stop at the end line?

That's the point. It might seem a matter of common sense, but there's nothing written about it on the rulebook. Most fencers, even world-class ones, only "know" the rules when they work in their favor, especially when they're being ref'd by a friendly-looking skinny twenty-something year old guy. It was one of the most satisfying yellow cards I've ever issued

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Siivola posted:

Wait, what's the argument here? That if you go off-piste exactly diagonally, you step over neither the side nor the back, and therefore go neither off the piste nor a metre backwards (and off the piste)?

What do they expect does happen? :psyduck:

Exactly. Their argument is that, since the run off section isn't a part of the piste according to the rulebook, they didn't leave the lateral boundaries. Some fencers and coaches (*cough* Russians) will defend this to death just to avoid getting touched or carded.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

e: Reading that discussion on "vor" I can absolutely imagine an evolution where in 50 years they'll be talking about judges assigning points on hits based on their interpretation of who had it. That interpretation will get codified more and more rigidly over time and technology will be implemented to make it easier to determine timing of hits, possibly including accelerometers. And from there, you'll have spin-off "weapons" that diverge based on whether they were used as practice weapons and etc.

My thoughts exactly!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Speaking of poorly implemented ideas, the Russian box of death is officially dead for the seniors. The juniors and cadets will continue using it until the end of the season. Hooray?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

knee past the heel is a thing in rapier fencing, why do modern fencers think it's dangerous?

Lunges in modern fencing are much more fast and powerful, and you do it hundreds of times on tournaments. I always tell my students not to focus on the aesthetic aspect of the lunge (i.e. it looks nice), but on the most logical one, fencing-wise: it must be long enough for the tip/blade to reach the target and explosive enough to surprise your opponent, but should be done correctly (arm-wise, as per the rules for foil and sabre/common sense in epee) and it must allow you to return quickly on guard. Allowing the knee to go past the heel makes the last point harder and somewhat dangerous because you end up putting all your body weight on your front knee. Imagine doing that thousands of times per year as a 1.90m tall, ~80kg athlete! Or even worse, as a casual club fencer! It'll gently caress up your front knee for good.

Tl;dr modern fencing lunges serve a more functional purpose, and sometimes they look pretty good.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Re: lunges. One of the first things I teach new students is that lunges must go forward. Leaning over your front knee makes you go down and doesn't give you extra distance. Also, all the force in the back leg must be used to move the body forward. Rookie fencers tend to do a little "jump" upwards when learning how to lunge, which ends up being a waste of energy!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

A fight broke out over "hitting too hard" and damaging an epee. Someone got their face cut in the ensuing brawl. I thought us HEMA guys liked to play rough but you Oly boys take it to a whole new level.

Holy poo poo what. This should never ever ever happen. I black carded people for much, much less than that.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

Guy A was ejected from the event obviously.

Thank god. Epee rules are pretty much straightforward, so loving up is really hard, both for the ref and the fencer. That's what makes refereeing high level epee tournaments so complicated: you have to be able to deal with that kind of stuff as quick as possible and with the full force of the FIE Rulebook. Just take out the card, tell them to go back on guard, and restart the match. Sounds easy when you don't have to deal with the 2m, 90kg hulks that are most world-class male epeeists!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

I’ll be honest. I stereotype fencing as a sport for rich kids. Is this innacurate? Are there poor minorities that are accepted in the sport? It doesnt seem like theres any big money in the sport, so its persued by people who already have money, like polo or formula 3 racing.

The Peter Westbrook Foundation keeps churning out world/olympic medallists from NYC minorities, if that's what you're asking. As with every other sport, you don't need to be "rich" to practice and compete, but a higher level of competition requieres a higher investment (the amount of $ spent every year by long distance running/triathlon/ironman athletes in running shoes only is insane!).

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Epee back flicks are kinda dumb and gimmicky, but pretty useful against lefties. As with everything, distance is #1.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

I’m getting welts on my back just thinking about that

He's doing it right, so it doesn't hurt at all lmao. Still, I've been smacked pretty terribly when teaching flicks.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

This looks promising as heck

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1362539561520349200

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1000360/Hellish_Quart/

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

guess whos back on his bull poo poo after a broken back + covid

re row similarities to kendo and hema, i think that fencing as a sport is past the point where we can consider the term "attack" as an abstraction of what it was when it was an actual martial art meant for combat. the definition of what an attack is in foil, for example, hasn't changed much rules-wise over time, but referee consensus + FIE electronic timing changes (read the 2004 changes) really changed the way fencing is done.

ofc this goes back to those folks online that call olympic fencing "fake" and "not real". it's a sport you nerds! we need all these stupid rules because it's an organized sport. i still feel that HEMA is trying to reinvent the wheel in this regard. if the community wants to move on and make it become an actual sport, they will have to make concessions because the last thing you want in a sport is a bunch of dead or maimed people or waste more than 10 seconds explaining an action in a tournament because nobody really understands the rules - I'M LOOKING AT YOU, SABRE PRE 1988

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The philosophical aspect of kendo is what makes it attractive to most of it's practioners

i was thinking about this after hitting the reply button. traditional eastern martial arts are heavily influenced by buddhism, which is SUPER COOL, but translating that to a sport and then an organized tournament format can be quite difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

im back on my bull poo poo