Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean I'll take it as a judging method over so many of the HEMA longsword rulesets that reward suicidal neglect of defense and constant doubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Future Days posted:

guess whos back on his bull poo poo after a broken back + covid

re row similarities to kendo and hema, i think that fencing as a sport is past the point where we can consider the term "attack" as an abstraction of what it was when it was an actual martial art meant for combat. the definition of what an attack is in foil, for example, hasn't changed much rules-wise over time, but referee consensus + FIE electronic timing changes (read the 2004 changes) really changed the way fencing is done.

ofc this goes back to those folks online that call olympic fencing "fake" and "not real". it's a sport you nerds! we need all these stupid rules because it's an organized sport. i still feel that HEMA is trying to reinvent the wheel in this regard. if the community wants to move on and make it become an actual sport, they will have to make concessions because the last thing you want in a sport is a bunch of dead or maimed people or waste more than 10 seconds explaining an action in a tournament because nobody really understands the rules - I'M LOOKING AT YOU, SABRE PRE 1988

Different creatures entirely. Oly sport fencing is abstracted from actual martial swordplay by both its rules and its gear. Nothing wrong with that, it's a sport and a drat good one.

HEMA is looking to recreate martial arts from periods where weapons were used in earnest. Very different motivations, gear, and methodology. Rulesets for fencing competitively within that paradigm are necessarily more difficult to formulate without creating situations where playing to the rules warps the art, and nobody reliably agrees on which direction it's okay to bend in beyond 'nobody gets killed'. :)

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 7, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I do that almost subconsciously on slightly off-line lunges with my broadsword. Off arm comes up off the hip to counterbalance the momentum of the sword and keep my center of balance over the middle of my lead foot to recover.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah, I saw that and I'm not surprised.
When you can ask 3 different referees about a fairly basic judgement and get 3 different answers that are all legitimate, you got a problem and it was the biggest reason I didn't pick up saber. Love the dynamics of it, but the margins in scoring are just too small.
Things I would like to see (Which may or may not be practical)
- Cutting edge/point only.
- Accelerometers as well as contact.
- stiffer blades

Gonna be a HEMA snob, but it's an issue of gear as much as judging. If the blade's an actual sabre blade and not a car antenna, edge alignment solves itself and action slows sufficiently to be judgeable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cessna posted:

I would be a lot more interested in HEMA if it wasn't for the racism.

Like any hobby, curate the people you play with. There are shitheels in any niche, it's your option to tell them to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Finding good HEMA groups is a pain in the rear end. There's only one really established one local to me, but they're only interested in doing tournament longsword in a highly competitive environment and it's not my jam, so I mostly fence with the SCA folks. Lower average skill level and no real structured training, but at least it's better than only solo work.