Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Does this thread not welcome HEMA people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

dupersaurus posted:

Pretty sure HEMA outnumbers us sporters at this point

Okay. It must just have been the last few pages of someone getting mad and making GBS threads on HEMA.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
W
Where's the longsword?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

DerekSmartymans posted:

I'm not a fencer, yet, but would love to get into it. I followed the streams during the Olympics and they made it look fun even without knowing the meaning of everything discussed (priority, double hits sometime being worth 0/1/both fencers 1, etc.)

I refuse to chop off fingers just to wear decent gloves, though :captainpop:. Exactly how many fingers do you need to fence?

Helsinki Bolognese Open is sidesword. You wouldn't have seen it in the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHxhY6brDk

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Siivola posted:

I think what draws a lot of people to HEMA is the promise of "real swordfighting" and for some reason we tend to take that to mean "killing dudes". And then we look at sabre fencing and post "this so wouldn't work on the street :smaug:" in comments all over the internet while writing articles about how HEMA peeps should dress ~professionally~ because we're all sick of getting confused with SCA nerds.

Also I'm jealous of all you fit people doing real sports.

But on the upside, I enrolled on a foil beginners' course and I'm really looking forward to it. :shobon:

My HEMA club practices has a sister sport fencing club where we practice in the same space and attend each other's events. There's a lot of mutual respect there. Neither is perfect though.

My biggest problem with sport fencing, though, is that the goal of the fencer should be to protect oneself first and strike your opponent second. Priority rules were instituted to promote this but then it's up to the judges to determine what constitutes the beginning of an attack. What Matt Easton proposes is the addition of an afterblow rule to epee to promote protecting yourself before AND after the exchange because to the untrained eye, i.e. to the spectator, it just looks like two people colliding with no clear winner. Even the wikipedia page on fencing uses as the representative image for sport fencing. It all depends on what the FIE wants to promote though. Remember this is an outsider's perspective looking in.

Also if you are looking to get into fencing for fitness you probably won't find what you are looking for. Doing sports without any supplemental activity will lead to muscle imbalances and possible injury. Someone posted this workout which would be a much better and safer way to become fitter and at the same time training for your specific interest.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

I actually don't care what sport fencing does as I'm not part of the community. I'm just speaking from a spectator's perspective. Stop being a dumbfuck.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

BirdOfPlay posted:

I know you probably didn't mean it super harshly, but I do get really tried of this quibble. Just because the ref is interpreting the action, it doesn't mean that they're being biased or making things up. Like, I hear this from sport fencers as well and don't understand it.

I never said there was anything inherently wrong with using judges. I meant to only highlight the difficulty of trying to create rules that promote defending oneself.

BirdOfPlay posted:

I would argue that's what it looks like to differently trained eye. The untrained eye of a sports spectator probably understands the concept of a tie and can quickly swallow both get a touch.

Before i started training HEMA or even knew about HEMA I couldn't understand why bouts were scored the way they were as both people would touch and each celebrate the point. In this segment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs8O-MFu4yU we can see Stephen Colbert doesn't understand why he isn't scoring points despite getting his light to turn on.

BirdOfPlay posted:

At a glance, the described "afterblow rule" is pretty poorly thought and is a radical departure from everything that is epee fencing. It eliminates the double touch and, possibly, makes it a penalty. It greatly increases lockout time to being about 3 times that of foil, which currently has the longest lockout of 300 ms. This would make doubles far more likely and result in far less touches being scored. I fail to see the appeal of this change.

I'm not sure Matt Easton was actually saying "this is the way the rule should be." I believe it was more points to think about, again, with the goal of protecting oneself.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Ravenfood posted:

FIrst. Sport fencing is "real" fencing, so this guy can gently caress off with that.

I never said it wasn't.

Ravenfood posted:

Second, if you want to turn epee into literally nothing but wrist-touches and the most defensive fencing you've ever seen, then you implement the afterblow rule. It may be interesting to fence as a practice exercise or for fun, but it would be much less interesting to watch, not more. Every bout, especially those that added the "doubles = point lost" penalty, would end 1-0. Every one.

I don't want to turn epee into anything.

Ravenfood posted:

Third. Epee is already the easiest to watch and understand as a spectator, and doubles are pretty rare at the higher level until one fencer is using them tactically because they're significantly up, and that's a very easy concept to show and explain to casual viewers. (The reason that making afterblows a penalty is loving stupid is that the fencer that is down would use them tactically to bring the score down to 0-0, btw).

I never proposed the penalty. And never said Matt Easton's proposal was perfect or should be implemented. Only that afterblows should be thought about.

Ravenfood posted:

Fifth, you and this guy are basically describing how confusing sabre and foil are to newcomers (and they are) and then using it to suggest a change to epee, which is weird.

I'd say they are all equally confusing, but fair point.

Ravenfood posted:

Sixth, if we're going for "realism" as if its, for some reason better, why even put a time or score limit? gently caress it, first person to get a touch wins. If there's an afterblow, the competitors are both eliminated from the tournament.

Sure. Good things to think about.

Ravenfood posted:

Finally, why did we even decide that the point is to emulate the very rare duels to the death? Like, poo poo, why is this even assumed to be a good goal? Are we trying to make it more interesting to watch? Then afterblow in epee would be a horrendous failure. What are we trying to do here? Because if you want to make a sport that will somehow produce duels like people see on TV, I don't see it ending well at all.

I never said it was meant to emulate a duel to the death. I'm pretty sure foil is meant to emulate first blood drawn from the torso though. I may be mistaken however.

Thanks for the videos but I can't really see what's going on in the first one.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Most samurai sword-to-sword battles supposedly ended up with both dying.
The 'no-doubles' goal is a lofty one, but it extremely hard to avoid.
Finally HEMA isn't any more real than 'sports' fencing or kendo. It still follows an artificial rule set that determines the winner and loser.

Never said it was any more real.

I also think people are making some pretty big assumptions about what I am saying and jumping to conclusions about opinions I hold. This thread seems pretty anti-HEMA despite me not ever comparing the two.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 27, 2016

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
^ What system are you training?

Ravenfood posted:

You've got a weird chip on your shoulder about this, but if it makes you feel better, I'll go back and clarify when I'm responding to you, KyloWinter, specifically, and when I'm responding to Matt Easton said in the video that you, KyloWinter, linked.

Maybe because I didn't link it.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 27, 2016

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So Konsmo is a racist? Unfortunate.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

your friend a dog posted:

Are they practicing, or do they actually fight that slowly?

Doesn't look like a tournament.

What is with racism in HEMA in Europe?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I knew of Fighters Against Racism but I just browsed the HEMA Racism Tumblr this morning. Is this a common thing or do certain clubs promote this? It seems like there are enough posts from GHFS people that maybe that whole club is racist. Although maybe some were innocent mistakes.

I don't know much about racism in Europe. In America I haven't seen this as much in HEMA. Just curious if this is a big problem or a small subset of practitioners.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

LazyQ posted:

Is there a HEMA equivalent to weeaboo? Fat, bearded guys a bit too much into vikings?

You found me.

I'm entering an épée tournament for the first time tomorrow hosted by our sister club. I've been doing German longsword for just under a year so I'm in the novice group. I only practiced with them once to just understand the stance and rules. I wanted to get more practice in but last week we had a nasty snowstorm. Any advice? Stick 'em and don't get stuck?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

your friend a dog posted:

you're going to lose anyways, but for what its worth if you have no experience, a good measure is the easiest way to win

Not necessarily every match. There's a group of us that have never done épée before. Should be fun.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Epee tournament update: Had a great time. Learned a lot. Took one match off of a young guy, which felt pretty good. One of the fencers I faced was so quick and light that he would touch me on the sleeve and I wouldn't even feel it. Just enough pressure to depress the button I guess which was pretty amazing. A fight broke out over "hitting too hard" and damaging an epee. Someone got their face cut in the ensuing brawl. I thought us HEMA guys liked to play rough but you Oly boys take it to a whole new level. Overall was a good experience.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Future Days posted:

Holy poo poo what. This should never ever ever happen. I black carded people for much, much less than that.

Ya it was really strange. A wire got knocked loose on the epee and guy A was mad that guy B hits too hard. He switches out his epee and the competitors came to corps a corps (look I learned a thing!) and guy A shouldered guy B really hard like he was trying to run him over. Guy B pushes guy A off of himself. Guy A charges guy B and at this time about 6 other guys are running into the middle of this. Guy A is swinging his sword above the heads of everyone still trying to get guy B and he cuts one of the guys trying to break up the fight on the forehead. It was very surreal and escalated so quickly. Hopefully I explained that well enough. Guy A was ejected from the event obviously.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 5, 2017

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Uziel posted:

Woah. Just participated in FlowerPoint in Pennsylvania over the weekend, which is a Longpoint league event. I came in 21st out of 60. It was really cool because things were starting to happen with muscle memory and I didn't parry with my hands at all (lol). I'm feeling really good about this given that my first class was in October. =)

Congrats dude. Any VODs from the event?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Lee Smith eats cum

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Lol the sca guy meltdown

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i challenge you to a duel at dawn on the hill behind the church, no seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Verisimilidude posted:

Huge Knight is a prime example of toxic HEMA culture and why I'm moving away from the HEMA community. Yuck.

Where are you going