Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
http://byuu.org

(scroll down to the "Depression" article) Wowl. Another awesome emulator dead. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
This will be probably the longest shot I've ever taken, but ... if anyone out there is fluent in Japanese (as in, not "I took a college course once and I have a Japanese girlfriend"), and is willing to chat with me about anything, I would truly appreciate that more than words could express. I'd be happy to return the favor with lessons on English, programming, emulation, reverse engineering, ROM hacking or server administration. I need someone to have actual communication with. But I know what a tall order that is: who would want to talk to someone they could barely understand, right? It drives me up the wall trying to listen to people who can't speak English, so it's only fitting that the reverse would apply to me. It's not that I choose to be annoyed by bad English, yet it's still karmic justice, right?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i just spoke to Ralp and he said its okay to talk about emulators and roms as long as we delete the thread within 24 hours

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It's really unfortunate that we lost a super cool emulator to the sadbrains.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
Kega FuZion (most accurate Genesis EMU) and bsNes (most accurate SNES emu) are dead because the authors went psycho.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sir AIDS posted:

http://byuu.org

(scroll down to the "Depression" article) Wowl. Another awesome emulator dead. RIP

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Sir AIDS posted:

Kega FuZion (most accurate Genesis EMU) and bsNes (most accurate SNES emu) are dead because the authors went psycho.

Regen is actually the most accurate now

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
rip for real though

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
for real i just want to thank Sir AIDS for keeping the forum fresh with good threads

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dang hope he gets better

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Silver Striker posted:

It's really unfortunate that we lost a super cool emulator to the sadbrains.

its okay. the emulator still exists.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I seem to remember a lot people in the emulation scene hating that guy, but i cant remember why.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Meat Recital posted:

I seem to remember a lot people in the emulation scene hating that guy, but i cant remember why.

i can venture a guess

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
Post some epic insane retarded emulator/game dev/game modding drama modding ITT!

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
zsnes ftw!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
there's a lot of good drama in the fan translation community but i can't remember what it is

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sir AIDS posted:

have you ever programmed something on a large scale solo

it's a practice that leads to axe murder

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Sir AIDS posted:

Post some epic insane retarded emulator/game dev/game modding drama modding ITT!

im not reading any of this but here http://www.cherryroms.co.uk/forums/emulation-forum/who-hell-byuu.html

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

quote:

For more info, visit byuu's site and/or D-BOY's forum.

There's a clever script on both sites to either goatse.cx you (on byuu's site) or give you a picture of someone's head being slashed off (on D-BOY's forum) if it detects the site you were last on was The Whirlpool or selected other sites.

These two guys are very, very clever but spiteful and childish too. I reckon we haven't seen the last of either of them yet...

lmao holy poo poo

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

there's a lot of good drama in the fan translation community but i can't remember what it is

All I remember is that the guy who was leading the fan translation of FF Type-0 was apparently insane.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Silver Striker posted:

All I remember is that the guy who was leading the fan translation of FF Type-0 was apparently insane.

also when they got a C&D for the translation I think he physically assaulted someone, but that might be a different fan project I'm thinking of

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mach2 posted:

also when they got a C&D for the translation I think he physically assaulted someone, but that might be a different fan project I'm thinking of

YOU SOLD US OUT TO THE FEDS! *beats with yaoi paddle*

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Looking at the page

Byuu posted:

I really want to learn a foreign language but I completely refuse to seek out tandem language partners, penpals, or a community that speaks the language I want to learn. I also refuse to take courses because learning it on my own is better.
Autism spectrum disorders are weird. You can be able to code a perfect SNES emulator on a machine level but still be completely unable to pick up things involving other people.

I hope he gets over his chest pain and learns to like himself. He gave the world a pretty sweet emulator. Dude uses FreeBSD so he's probably beyond help sadly.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i have no skills except being extremely talented in coding software that tens of thousands of people use each day but i want to learn a soon to be dead language instead

Dec 26, 2012

starbarry clock posted:

i have no skills except being extremely talented in coding software that tens of thousands of people use each day but i want to learn a soon to be dead language instead

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

starbarry clock posted:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
bsnes owns but i don't get why byuu has worked on it in a long time because it's perfect and plays all the obscure rear end jjapanese games that launch using a saltine and the soul of a businessman

bizhawk is the best emulator now

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

honestly i'm surprised to hear that snes emulation still needs active development. there's no emulator that can play all the games yet??

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you work in law enforcement you must leave the thread now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr Pepper posted:

Dang hope he gets better

Byuu has been a weird sadbrain for approximately eternity so I wouldn't count on this

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
when bsnes first came out he had a section on the games it fixes from poor inaccurate emulators and it started with "zsnes doesn't do kirby 3 right" and he ran out of stuff really fast and was doing niche japanese games and the classic gem, speedy gonzales

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

post your favorite dev meltdowns and the rag ingest stories u got

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

starbarry clock posted:

it's not going to be dead for at least a hundred years at which point all languages will be dead, but there's still manga and anime to be enjoyed today. carpe diem.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mach2 posted:

I think that was Zeality after he got the C&D for Crimson Echoes. He beat the poo poo out of his mom if I recall.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Doctor Goat posted:

when bsnes first came out he had a section on the games it fixes from poor inaccurate emulators and it started with "zsnes doesn't do kirby 3 right" and he ran out of stuff really fast and was doing niche japanese games and the classic gem, speedy gonzales

If you're trying to make an accurate emulator instead of a "good enough" one then getting obscure and even bad games is important.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
kegel fuzion

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wootman posted:

zsnes ftw!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

have you ever programmed something on a large scale solo

it's a practice that leads to axe murder

not only a large project done solo
one done uncompromisingly the hard way
its's surprising he completed he SNES emulation fully before going off the deep end really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

bsnes does own as long as you don't use the default frontend for it tho

• Locked thread