Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARvBz4NKRVc&t=94s

On this, the 25th Anniversary of their major label debut, Flood, it's time for another They Might Be Giants thread. 2015 is going to be a big year for the Johns (and Dan, Danny, and Marty, to an extent):

-Dial-a-Song is back! Call (844) 387-6962 or, you know, go online to listen to a new song every Tuesday.
-New album(s) very soon! One traditional album and another kids album.
-Tour AND residency! TMBG are touring across the United States in April and May, but if you live in Brooklyn, They Might Be Giants are doing a show the last Sunday of every month. Every show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg will have a different theme (First Album show, Flood show, new album show, and the Else show have been announced), so you won't get tired listening to 'James K. Polk' every month.

If you only know They Might Be Giants as the band who did the theme for Malcolm in the Middle, you're right, they did that song. The easiest place to begin archiving your way through the past is by picking up Dial-a-Song: 20 Years of They Might Be Giants (released in 2002), which collects two CD's worth of material from their debut album until their first kids album, No!, then picking up Idlewild (released last year), which picks up from No! and goes until 2013's album Nanobots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
"Erase" is really good. I'm looking forward to the rest of the 51 songs we'll get throughout the year!

Pretty sure these Dial-A-Songs also don't have anything to do with the albums they're working on, so they're keeping extremely busy this year.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I'm impressed that each Dial-A-Song gets a music video too. That's 52 new videos this year. For members of the TMBG Instant Fan Club or Dial-A-Song Direct subscribers, They're adding bonus tracks in addition to the 52 DAS songs. One was a Beatles-impression of Particle Man.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
This week's Dial-A-Song is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQclCOBS4s
It's pretty good! Kind of a low-key piano ballad. "Erase" set my expectations pretty high for these, and this one holds that standard up.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Man, this is gonna be a good year to be a TMBG fan.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I'm pretty furious with myself for not enrolling in the Instant Fan Club last month. I suppose I can just get by with a single new song/video each week.

But I'll take all the new TMBG I can get.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Does anyone like Cloisonne? I think its legitimately one of the worst songs they've ever written and yet Flansburgh in particular seems to love the gently caress out of it

Thanks for the thread, by the way. Even with how negative my post started I loving love They Might Be Giants and yeah, 2015 is gonna be rife with some great stuff - Erase in particular is everything Linnell-y and great that I love

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Riptor posted:

Does anyone like Cloisonne? I think its legitimately one of the worst songs they've ever written and yet Flansburgh in particular seems to love the gently caress out of it

Thanks for the thread, by the way. Even with how negative my post started I loving love They Might Be Giants and yeah, 2015 is gonna be rife with some great stuff - Erase in particular is everything Linnell-y and great that I love

I like Cloisonné. :sax:

Purchased tickets to the Else show in Brooklyn, along with a show in my hometown. TMBG twice in one month!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Cloisonné is one of the best songs on that album

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

weirdojace posted:

Cloisonné is one of the best songs on that album

Wow really? Can you articulate why you think so? I'm genuinely curious

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
It's one of the more experimental/psychedelic songs they've done in a while. It's pretty low key which is cool to hear them do every now and then. The lyrics are fun and get pretty humorous, which is awesome in the creepy context of the music. That crazy instrumental bit at the end is awesome. It's a good song to put on when you're high.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I can't stand the "I don't wanna tell 'em mister" part, that always makes me cringe. But I like the musical inventiveness of the rest of the song.

TMBG were the first band I really got obsessed with as a kid, thanks in large part to the stuff they did with the Homestar Runner guys, like the Experimental Film video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgK74opJjlI.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Riptor posted:

I can see exactly what irks peoople about it, but I think it's alright. For contrast though I think "Darlings of Lumberland" is way more inventive and creative, and maybe one of the best songs they've done in like two decades. These last two albums have been incredible.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

"Answer" is loving awesome

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

There's this:

http://www.theymightbegiants.com/flood-live-in-australia/

quote:

Hello everyone! Here is a free download of us, They Might Be Giants, performing Flood live in its entirety on our recent tour of Australia.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Apparently the new album is called Glean and will probably be mostly (or all) Dial-A-Song material.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
since they're essentially coming out with 3 LPs worth of new material this year I think that's alright

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I thought it was 3 Dial-A-Song compilations and a new kids' record.
E. OP says 1 adult and 1 kids.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
When you have a crazy project like this, things are bound to change. It looks like we're essentially getting 2 adult albums and 1 kids album, all comprised of the Dial A Song material.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Just downloaded this. They went through the whole album in reverse order, I guess because they're in the southern hemisphere? Genius. Pretty interesting to hear stuff like their self-titled track transitioning into Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love, instead of vice-versa.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

drat, Letterbox sounds great

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Riptor posted:

Does anyone like Cloisonne? I think its legitimately one of the worst songs they've ever written and yet Flansburgh in particular seems to love the gently caress out of it.

I adore Cloisonné. I got excited as hell when they played it at the show I went to in DC.

Dragging my wife to the Flood show with me cuz it's goddamn Flood.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Riptor posted:

It's a good song.

TMBG was the first show I ever saw, I've kind of "lost touch" with them in recent years but I saw them the other night in Brooklyn. They did the entire first album, albeit out of order and with songs from throughout their career mixed in. They still sound fantastic and put on an awesome show. It was pretty interesting to see them perform weird poo poo like Toddler Highway and Boat of Car, they even opened the show with Chess Piece Face.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They Might Be Giants have been my favorite band for twelve years now. There was a re-run of Kablaam! on Nicktoons with a video for Doctor Worm, and I looked up the band. They've been #1 since.

Riptor posted:

I agree with Cloisonné being one of the best songs on that album. It's not a song I'd put on for someone to impress them, but I love it when they go on weird tangents and embrace their bizarre side. Join Us did that better than Nanobots, but Nanobots was more precise thematically (fear of children growing older) especially with Linnell's songs.

I check This Might Be a Wiki regularly, and I was under the impression that they were doing a best-of album for Dial A Song, but also doing a studio album of songs that won't appear on Dial A Song?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

According to the items listed in the Instant Fan Club, there is going to be a "next TMBG CD" and "the DAS compilation CD at the end of 2015" and "next TMBG kids CD", so that sounds like there will be a studio album unrelated to DAS in 2015.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Is it possible that They Might be Giants have written the most songs of any band in the modern era? I sure as hell can't think of anyone who's done more (maybe the Residents?)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Album is called Glean. Most of the songs have been released on Dial-A-Song already.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It became available for pre-order yesterday. The vinyl looks great.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

JAMOOOL posted:

I can see exactly what irks peoople about it, but I think it's alright. For contrast though I think "Darlings of Lumberland" is way more inventive and creative, and maybe one of the best songs they've done in like two decades. These last two albums have been incredible.

I'm glad there are others who think Darlings of Lumberland is awesome. It sounds like a more amped-up version of something you might have heard off of their early albums. So great.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I would peg my favorite dial a song so far as Unpronouncable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmNFcjh0P1k

Still more than 2/3 of the Dial A Song for the year is yet to come!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Glean is way more cohesive than it has any right to be. And despite the fact that I've had the songs for a while now, it's incredibly listenable.

Music Jail Parts 1&2, Good To Be Alive, and Let Me Tell You About My Operation are fantastic, even though I generally prefer Linnell over Flansburgh.

Did anyone else's orders get delayed? I got an e-mail saying my Glean vinyl is delayed until July.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Yeah Glean vinyl is delayed. Shame. Some major labels probably paid some big bucks to cut in line at the pressing plant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

I Greyhound posted:

I would peg my favorite dial a song so far as Unpronouncable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmNFcjh0P1k

Still more than 2/3 of the Dial A Song for the year is yet to come!

Listening to this on CD without knowing about the 'skipping' part is a nasty trick by TMBG.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Saw TMBG at the Fillmore in San Francisco tonight. Excellent show, probably the best I've seen. First one was in 1990 and each time is a little better than the last. They ended with the most incredible version of Robot Parade conceivable. If you have a chance to see them on this tour, I highly recommend it. They played the first half of Flood and it was beautiful.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of my life dreams is to see She's An Angel performed live. I have seen them several times, each show better than the last, and they still have not played it.

I want them to announce their Florida dates, because I'm dragging everyone I know to go see them (again).

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Good luck, hope you get to hear it. They played it during an encore last night so you've got a chance now that it's in the rotation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Was today's Dial-A-Song about the Kennedy Assassination?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

DoctorWhat posted:

Wouldn't be the first one.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

TMBG covered "Starry Eyes" by the Records, which is a great song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ITTE_S8Y0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It was about an injury and being taken away in an ambulance. The title is the word "ambulance" spelled backwards.

• Locked thread