Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

blowfish posted:

"We wanted the best, but it turned out like always."

Moscow wins again, time for round 3434.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't think any of it is rational, unless you look at it from the perspective of getting people who are trans-phobic or don't understand how many psychological disorders work on your side politically. Unfortunately, it is probably then considering Russia at the moment, it is sadly probably a sensible strategy.

As the Russian economy continues to go down the tubes with oil prices, more these laws are going to be passed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Sounds more like, rather than "ban all transsexuals from driving", the actual policy was "ban people with mental illnesses from driving" and Russia just so happens to classify transsexuals as mentally ill so it was on the list of things disqualifying people from driving - along with a large number of other things.

Yes, but frame it as what it is - discrimination against the mentally ill and a number of other groups including LGBTs. At the very least it'd probably lead to less lovely jokes than hyperfocusing in on just one of the many groups affected.

Yeah, I think discrimination of people with OCD and other disorders in which people can still be perfectly functional is just as bad even if it isn't based on identity (although genetics maybe play a part in both, I don't know it is conclusive or not yet). It reminds me of how fearful may people are of their kids being diagnosed with even a learning disability, better it be kept quiet and diagnosed then it being "official" since who knows where it will lead. Just keep your head down, get out of the way of the state.

That said, it looks like the discriminatory laws are only getting more severe alongside the decline of the economy.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 12, 2015

• Locked thread