Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I read the book (my first and only Pynchon book) years ago when it first hit. It was pretty good although I didn't remember much until I saw the movie again. I found it kind of hard to follow in parts with the editting and such. Plus there seemed to be a lot of mumbling. At least I had read it before I so I knew most of it, but still I could see how first time viewers may get lost.

The casting was actually pretty spot on for some of them, Phoenix looked almost drat close to how I imagined Sportello and Brolin was pretty great. I remember him being more of a hard rear end dick in the book and was more likeble in this. Especially the changed end was rather nice. Not sure how I felt about the final car ride , I think the book was a little better there.

The movie did capture the very melancholic sensation of the end-of-an-era as it became co-opted and failed, and it also didn't try to rose-tinted-glasses nostalgify it which I thought was pretty good. Otherwise, it wasn't really that good of a movie and could have used some better editting, transitions and camera work.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread