Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

harpomarxist posted:

Kurosawa finished his career with Dersu Uzala, Leone with Once Upon a Time in America - both are original in the sense that they couldn't have been made by anyone else.

I mean i'm not saying anything controversial here, it's about artistic progression - there's something a bit reserved about constantly going back to the same source without actually expanding your artistry. The Master was original hence why Inherent Vice seems a step back.

But that's assuming that artistic progression is constantly a continual line forward towards a specific vision. Inherent Vice isn't a step back from the Master, it's just a different direction from the Master. Inherent Vice has a stronger sense of plot than the Master, even though the film really is a series of episodes that are loosely connected. Where the Master is more of a character study without a strong plot, Inherent Vice is a bit of a shaggy dog story. There's a lot of plot in the film, and there is an attempt to put it all together, but it never quite forms into a complete whole. In a way, there was a bit of a Wes Anderson-ish vibe throughout the film. I can't quite explain - just the large cast of characters, many of whom have some unique trait, dealing with the progression of time and change, and the presence Owen Wilson just all reminded me of Wes Anderson. There were also huge differences too. Inherent Vice also had more direct elements of comedy in it, which meant that it had to be different from the Master.

It's been a while since I've seen the Master, but I just remember it being an unrelenting film. That kind of style wouldn't work for Inherent Vice. As I said, it's not a step back. It's just a different direction, and that in itself is a step forward.

Also, Kurosawa didn't finish his career with Dersu Uzala. There was Kagemusha, Ran, Dreams, Rhapsody in August (with Richard Gere!), and Madadayo. I haven't seen Rhapsody in August and Madadayo, but the first three are all original films. Based on what I've heard, Madadayo is a bit more conventional, but I haven't seen it so I can't say one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread