Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Finally got around to seeing this and really enjoyed it. Something that helped was the advice to not worry about what was going on so I didn't try to hang on to names or plot points, which was mostly fine except for a couple scenes where it's nothing but names and plot points. I laughed a lot, I think there was at least one good, isolated laugh in almost every scene, which was really interesting because the funny thing was just like a little spike on top of the rest of the scene (SOMETHING SPANISH). There were a couple moments I kinda tuned out or wished the movie would get along to something else but it was worth it for the high stuff, like the Martin Short scene (he's amazingly good in this) or the whole sequence at the rehab facility, which is one of the best things Anderson's done, up there with the New Year's scene in Boogie Nights or the He Needs Me montage in Punch-Drunk Love, that kind of dizzying, alcoholic feeling where the movie comes off the screen and absorbs all sense of time. I think I felt the movie more than I watched it.

edit:
"F U C K I N G-ing"
"...'fuckinging'?"

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Seaniqua posted:

The scene where Doc is at Wolfmann's mansion and his wife is throwing the party, and there are cops wearing their loving CHIPS style helmets while swimming and grilling hot dogs was one of my favorites.

For some reason the bit right before that where the server girl brings in a bunch of drinks and shoves her rear end in Doc's face, muffling his voice, had me laughing for like five minutes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I tried to read Gravity's Rainbow in high school (to prove how cool I was) and all I remember is a bunch of people living in a blown-up building filled with banana trees and the main character diving into a toilet to retrieve a harmonica.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

madeupfred posted:

Having never seen a Paul Thomas Anderson movie

Woah, this needs fixing, stat!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think it's also part of the "inherent vice" - there's a part of us that always wants to be on the other side, whatever or wherever that might be.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also if you try to go too far in the other direction you get late-period Godard and nobody wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Doc Sportello might be the first stoner-mystery protagonist that I'd actually like to meet in real life.

• Locked thread