Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TrixRabbi posted:

Just because it's universal doesn't mean it isn't also directly about the sixties. And also, I may be going a bit off the book here, but all the specific references to Nixon and then-Governor Reagan. The sheer dedication to building an authentic atmosphere for this very specific year (1970). In order to understand our own time, and all the times in between, we have to look to the sixties (just as the sixties have to look to the fifties and so on and so on). Pynchon and Anderson are pointing to this era, and really this particular year, and saying: Look. This is what has been going on forever. This is one specific example of it happening. The "straights" in this story are the ones who elected Nixon, and they went on to elect Reagan. The government squashed the hippies, they squashed the Black Panthers. The hippies gave way to the yuppies and they all either went straight or OD'd.

It's a good companion to Fear & Loathing. F&L was written in 1971, and Thompson reported what he saw and felt. Inherent Vice takes a look back and tells us what we know now. What the real takeaway from that time was.

I think this is right. In the Q&A PTA talked about how most of Pynchon's books are about turning points, this being one of them (I think that point is accurate, BTW). The drugs play a role; the switch from the benign marijuana to malignant heroin plays an important role, and that is one of the reasons the revolution fails.

I need to see it again but I loved it. It may have been the circumstances, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

Lots of love for the final Bigfoot and Doc scene, but not enough of it for this line: "Bigfoot, man.... you kicked down my door......"

I'll bet that door really held the room together.

• Locked thread