Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

Just because it's universal doesn't mean it isn't also directly about the sixties. And also, I may be going a bit off the book here, but all the specific references to Nixon and then-Governor Reagan. The sheer dedication to building an authentic atmosphere for this very specific year (1970). In order to understand our own time, and all the times in between, we have to look to the sixties (just as the sixties have to look to the fifties and so on and so on). Pynchon and Anderson are pointing to this era, and really this particular year, and saying: Look. This is what has been going on forever. This is one specific example of it happening. The "straights" in this story are the ones who elected Nixon, and they went on to elect Reagan. The government squashed the hippies, they squashed the Black Panthers. The hippies gave way to the yuppies and they all either went straight or OD'd.

It's a good companion to Fear & Loathing. F&L was written in 1971, and Thompson reported what he saw and felt. Inherent Vice takes a look back and tells us what we know now. What the real takeaway from that time was.

When I read the book, I viewed it as specifically a companion to the waves speech. The "high water mark" broke and fell back because the culture that pushed it contained an inherent vice insuring it's own failure. The sad truth is the hippies were never going to win. Which is one of the things I liked about it, that Pynchon isn't blinded by nostalgia. It's an honest book in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

Saw this a couple of nights ago at the AFI, and... well, it was kind of a mistake. That isn't to say I thought it was bad (it's really well done), or that I didn't enjoy myself (I very much did), but it just felt like I missed a lot of details I might have missed, having not read the book at all. I'm going to have to see it again, with the benefit of a pause and rewind button. (And subtitles; Phoenix was great, but he mumbles, drat it!) But my overall impression is that it's a fascinating experience in which everything (director, writer, actors, soundtrack, cin-tog, etc) contributed positively to the overall picture, which while I cannot confirm is Pynchon-ian, was a drat treat to watch.

In the meantime, perhaps I will track down the book, as reading Pynchon has been something I've had on my to-do list for a while. Unless there's another of his works that might be better for a first timer?...

Inherent Vice is his most accessible book. It has the most coherent plot. He's not really known for coherent plots.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I guess if the disorientation is part of the experience, I understand it a lot more. I did like watching it, but I spent too much time trying to parse the plot.

The experience you had is the experience of the protagonist. Doc was disoriented and trying to parse the plot. He ultimately fails to make sense of it all because all the apparent connections add up to nothing. As such, the film is more about the death of the hippies as a genuine cultural movement than it is about all the murders and kidnappings. The only real story that we follow beginning to end is Doc returning Coy to his family.

• Locked thread