Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This was disappointing. I am a giant fan of PTA. Other than Punch Drunk Love his other movies are among my favourites. I've never read Pynchon. I guess I kept expecting the plot to come together at some point. I really enjoyed the scene at the rehabilitation centre and it made me think that things were about to come together in some epic and comprehensible way.

It's fine if it was supposed to be purposefully vague, but I didn't even find it funny. The scenes some people have described as funny in this thread mostly came off as bizarre to me, and that's not actually a bad thing, because I enjoyed them for that.

I enjoyed Brolin's role, and Phoenix is one of my favourites, but in this movie he felt so aimless. He cares about Shasta and smoking dope, maybe that's all there is supposed to be for him.

The one thing the movie did best was convey a sense of paranoid conspiracy. It certainly made me want to read Pynchon, and maybe I'll give watching it another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread