Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also kind of curious what happens to Chiyuki's soul if she does just linger around till she becomes a dummy. It could just be an auto-void, or it could be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Occulus's hair-beard combo is both interestingly cool and scary-freaky at the same time. I love seeing someone who is hinted at being a bad-rear end actually do something that's bad-rear end every once in a while. I hope they have enough time to explain what's going on between Occulus and Nona, etc.

Apparently, everyone in purgatory is using a doll's body, including the arbiters. Am I right? I think they said that. What is it that keeps the arbiters from breaking down? Maybe Occulus isn't, though.

More real-world alcohol, memories solidified like hard-candy in bags, and no-name remembers her name while playing a game herself. Is there something about playing games in purgatory that provides for memory releases? Or, did Nona somehow re-enable Chiyuki's memories after they found the bag full of them? I didn't catch whether there was a sequence between finding the memories and the actual remembrance.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dan7el posted:

Occulus's hair-beard combo is both interestingly cool and scary-freaky at the same time. I love seeing someone who is hinted at being a bad-rear end actually do something that's bad-rear end every once in a while. I hope they have enough time to explain what's going on between Occulus and Nona, etc.

Apparently, everyone in purgatory is using a doll's body, including the arbiters. Am I right? I think they said that. What is it that keeps the arbiters from breaking down? Maybe Occulus isn't, though.

More real-world alcohol, memories solidified like hard-candy in bags, and no-name remembers her name while playing a game herself. Is there something about playing games in purgatory that provides for memory releases? Or, did Nona somehow re-enable Chiyuki's memories after they found the bag full of them? I didn't catch whether there was a sequence between finding the memories and the actual remembrance.

they've mentioned before that the memory wipes they do are not perfect and some memories will still bubble up in some cases.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EPISODE 9 WAS THE BEST EPISODE I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR!!! ALL THE AWARDS! :worship:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Death Parade had its best episode this week IMO.

This has been a good week for good episodes of anime.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
First good episode.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

First good episode.

No.

A beautiful and touching episode indeed... but what is Decim planning to do?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

No.

A beautiful and touching episode indeed... but what is Decim planning to do?

Looks to me like he's going to hitch a ride, and maybe grab her soul after it departs from the doll?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'll give 2:1 odds that they used Mao Asada performances to make this episode.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Was that guy in the picture Light from Death note or am I seeing things.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fat_Cow posted:

I thought the same thing. Death gods = arbiters? How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

I honestly thought 100% the same, my guess its just a cameo/shout out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, Madhouse did animate both shows, so it could be a cameo/shout-out.

Also that drop at the end there was really sad.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

fairly sure that's just what passes for a generic good looking anime dude, which coincidentally is also light yagami's design.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Light Yagami aside, that episode was loving amazing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting the learn that the void fate didn't actually involve ego death. More a direct parallel to hell than cessation of existence.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

Interesting the learn that the void fate didn't actually involve ego death. More a direct parallel to hell than cessation of existence.

Yeah its pretty horrifying in some ways. I mean sure its possible to maybe come back from it somehow, but holy poo poo.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm not even sure we're supposed to believe Ginti's explanation. He's more likely to tell you the thing that may make you act like a "typical human" for him to judge rather than give you a straight answer. Subsequently I have no idea what to make of that final scene with him and the call he makes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

I'm not even sure we're supposed to believe Ginti's explanation. He's more likely to tell you the thing that may make you act like a "typical human" for him to judge rather than give you a straight answer. Subsequently I have no idea what to make of that final scene with him and the call he makes.

It might be possible he had voided Harada (since he was going to push the girl off) and this was the only way to reunite them?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Its the same information that was in the site since the start of the series, just expanded on. So if he was lying about the void then he's been tricked himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

It might be possible he had voided Harada (since he was going to push the girl off) and this was the only way to reunite them?

Entirely so. He's been our walking example of how arbiters don't need imported human emotions to emote humanly since he was introduced, and if this is a little bit of backhanded kindness to ameliorate a no-win situation, it only serves to demonstrate further how immensely flawed the setup is.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Darth Walrus posted:

Entirely so. He's been our walking example of how arbiters don't need imported human emotions to emote humanly since he was introduced, and if this is a little bit of backhanded kindness to ameliorate a no-win situation, it only serves to demonstrate further how immensely flawed the setup is.

It certainly is a flawed system, but I don't see how it can be flawed enough to Void a girl as nice as she was. You can make the argument that the Idol guy deserved it, at least in the system's eyes, but here I have to peg the problem as Ginti and not the system he works for. Arbiters clearly have their own individual personalities, and his just slants him toward being lazy and not respecting human life. To me it wasn't a kindness, but that's probably because I don't see staying together in nothingness/hell as a good thing.

I really hope the finale brings us a comprehensive change to how the system works. The return of wrongly voided souls would be nice as well, but that seems like a pipe dream to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NowonSA posted:

It certainly is a flawed system, but I don't see how it can be flawed enough to Void a girl as nice as she was. You can make the argument that the Idol guy deserved it, at least in the system's eyes, but here I have to peg the problem as Ginti and not the system he works for. Arbiters clearly have their own individual personalities, and his just slants him toward being lazy and not respecting human life. To me it wasn't a kindness, but that's probably because I don't see staying together in nothingness/hell as a good thing.

I really hope the finale brings us a comprehensive change to how the system works. The return of wrongly voided souls would be nice as well, but that seems like a pipe dream to me.

It's flawed because arbiters are supposed to be impartial and emotionless. They're certainly not supposed to rules-lawyer an innocent into getting voided so she can keep a damned soul company.

If we assume that Harada was irretrievable (and nearly everything else was a lie, so why not that?), then this.was the only way to help him, and Mayu had made it perfectly clear that she was willing to make the sacrifice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It also kind of brings to the fore that there seems to be no standard at all for who gets sent up or down. There's implications of reward and punishment, but not of what they're rewarding or punishing. It's purely up to the whim of the arbiter.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tenebrais posted:

It also kind of brings to the fore that there seems to be no standard at all for who gets sent up or down. There's implications of reward and punishment, but not of what they're rewarding or punishing. It's purely up to the whim of the arbiter.

It's a pretty pessimistic outlook on death, really. You go round and round again on the cycle of reincarnation, until you screw up enough during one lifetime to get thrown into a pit of eternal regret and loneliness.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

There Bias Two posted:

I thought the same thing. Death gods = arbiters? How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Remember how eyepatch lady was complaining about a large influx of deaths?

:tinfoil:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The voice actor for Harada and Light are the same as well iirc.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Kinda stupid but I thought they weren't going to play the OP and then they played it at the end so I'll give it a 6/10.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Kinda stupid but I thought they weren't going to play the OP and then they played it at the end so I'll give it a 6/10.

The Chiyuki at the end of the post-credits OP is the doll next to the bar and has the Chavvo dolls in her lap :unsmith:

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Really good way to end the series I think. I was a little skeptical if this show could put in a plot behind all the self contained stories but Madhouse managed to exceed my expectations. Probably my favorite show of the season if I don't count leftovers from last season.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That was really sweet. It feels like the sidestory of something bigger, but it made me really happy to watch.

Also, seeing Decim break down and lose the Judgement eyes was really cool.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 28, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It just now occurs to me that like how Decim remembers people with his dummies, Ginti makes those wooden dolls. :unsmith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It just now occurs to me that like how Decim remembers people with his dummies, Ginti makes those wooden dolls. :unsmith:

Yeah, they've dropped a lot of hints that he's undergoing the same process as Decim, only without any imported human content to speed him along.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My understanding is that the Chiyuki doll was *the* doll she had been inhabiting throughout the show. When they're in the pit of discarded dolls, Chiyuki asks Decim if this is where she'll end up and he makes a point of telling her that she won't, and she thanks him for it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Good anime. That last bit with Ginti was especially good.
Is there significance to that blue/green haired doll that also shows up in the OP? I'm trying to connect dots, but failing to do so (if there are even any to connect).

Pyronic posted:

My understanding is that the Chiyuki doll was *the* doll she had been inhabiting throughout the show. When they're in the pit of discarded dolls, Chiyuki asks Decim if this is where she'll end up and he makes a point of telling her that she won't, and she thanks him for it.
iirc, in a previous episode he says that he does that for all of the dolls he's keeping in Quindecim.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pyronic posted:

I liked the little book-end of the credits where it showed the Chavvot dolls sitting in Chiyuki's doll hands instead of her human ones.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

It was okay... kind of left me feeling the same way Terror in Tokyo did. Some decent animation, some decent music, everything tied up pretty nicely in the end, but ultimately everything just felt a bit flat. OP was the main reason to watch each week.

Hoping there will be a spin-off series for a comedy starring Ginti and Mayu.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
I generally enjoyed the series, especially since it was quite a few steps removed from the generic anime drudgery. The setting was interesting, and they wrote a decent share of characters of varying types and motivations. Animation quality was also quite nice in many places. Overall, I'd consider it good, but not great.

I think its formulaic structure that it largely adhered to was one of the bigger problems. The early episodes are interesting while you are curious what the setting is about, but the individual story segments are kept to very few story beats, and I don't think they got enough breathing room to be interestingly complex or sufficiently developped. It might have helped if the show were longer, and every mini-story were a double episode deal.

The episodes primarily dedicated to, well, worldbuilding didn't really do it many favours in my opinion. I found those to be badly paced and starved of interesting information or expansion of the setting. They really could have used these better. Perhaps by keeping a more rigid structure where a part of every episode is primarily about the other people in the tower at the end of it. Then there could have been a running B-plot thread instead of one that happens in chunks that by themselves, can't carry an episode.

The highpoint was clearly the episode 9 and 10 package, the twists came together well, the characters were given a sufficiently strong motivation to have an emotionally charged finish.

I also don't really think the last episode made for a particularly great wrap-up. After all, while there is some resolution for the arc with flowerhead, you really aren't given much. At least the conclusion for Chiyuki was done well, even if I don't think it fully earned its emotionality, considering that a similar character arc had already happened.

It feels like they started off with an interesting setting, but really only hit their stride later. More episodes would have probably helped the series a lot in my book. I would recommend the series to people interested in it, but I'm quite sure this could have been done better ultimately.

Making voiding someone a strictly negative hell-equivalent was a misstep if you ask me. Earlier it was presented as something they would do to people who wouldn't be able to be happy even if reincarnated, and I'd consider simple becoming nothing a much better choice since it's a lot less ethically questionable compared to basically damning someone to hell.

It's also kind of funny that the nearly emotionless doll is the representative of the influence of human emotion, and the hotheaded one the representative of the emotionless arbiters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This story was ultimately about Chiyuki so while her story was resolved, the odd plot threads from the other characters didn't get a chance to really tie off and end as well as they should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

This story was ultimately about Chiyuki so while her story was resolved, the odd plot threads from the other characters didn't get a chance to really tie off and end as well as they should have.
I felt the same way. This season of Death Parade was a story about Chiyuki and the ultimate resolution of her life and death. The other stuff was secondary. I'd love to see more seasons where the story explores more about the arbiters like Quin and see why Nona is doing what she's doing and see more about how it turns out.

Great seeing both of Decim's eyes for once too!

Plus, Bradio.

• Locked thread