Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
Looking through the OP I just noticed this:

I can't wait for Death Ball-in-cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I can't say I enjoyed this. I really liked Death Billiards, and was looking forward to this because the trailer made it look like the series would be entirely about that single billiards game spread over 13 episodes, exploring the lives of the two players in depth. However, the current format feels very... exploitative. I really don't want to tune in every week to see a different pair being judged on some arbitrary standards, while I wait for the final scene to tell me who was actually the horrible person who deserves to burn in hell for eternity or maybe be non-existent in the void for all eternity, or maybe go to heaven because everything is so vague.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I would agree, but the OP and episode 2 preview give me the impression that the show is going to be as much about the Queen Decim and staff as judgement games.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rexides posted:

I can't say I enjoyed this. I really liked Death Billiards, and was looking forward to this because the trailer made it look like the series would be entirely about that single billiards game spread over 13 episodes, exploring the lives of the two players in depth. However, the current format feels very... exploitative. I really don't want to tune in every week to see a different pair being judged on some arbitrary standards, while I wait for the final scene to tell me who was actually the horrible person who deserves to burn in hell for eternity or maybe be non-existent in the void for all eternity, or maybe go to heaven because everything is so vague.

I'm certain it's not going to do the same setup for every episode, going by the OP and the post-credit scene. This first episode felt more like a reminder of what Death Billiards was and why we liked it, but the post-credit scene made it (imo) pretty clear that wasn't going to be the focus of the show. I'm guessing it's what's behind the scenes that the show will focus on, including the individual characters themselves. We still haven't seen anyone's role in this whole charade beyond the bartender, so I think there's plenty to work with at the moment.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Death Mahjong please so I can fill the crippling void in myself at the lack of more Akagi or Kaiji part 3 animated.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

senseinobu posted:

I hope the skates aren't just for show. I'm so down for Death Ice Skating

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I hope there's some honest to god bartending action in the future.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This opening episode was better than any psychological film I've seen in years.

Dark horse 2015.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

senseinobu posted:

uh that's called a kendama not a ball in cup drat

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I'll keep watching just to see if they'll make people play all that weird poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I hope the skates aren't just for show. I'm so down for Death Ice Skating

Death Hockey

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
For my interpretation, I looked not just at what was shown in flashback, but the order in which things were shown, as well as the character reactions immediately after various revelations. If the show is really ambitious with character, the manner in which they choose their words or show expression should give clues into whether or not they are having a real reaction or putting up a front.

The flashbacks to their first meeting being followed by his really awful snot-sobbing and suspicion made her despise him, with all the happier memories now clouded and sullied by the knowledge that he had no trust in her all along. Of course, what she then does is quite spiteful, but she tells him the exact things he has been suspecting all along. Whether or not she actually was having the affair or not, she can't love him the way he is now. If this show treats the void as exiting the cycle of reincarnation, it's because she's essentially just done with this poo poo and has no desires to continue again. Her expression right before the elevator closing felt sad with a hint of revulsion instead of necessarily worrying about her own fate (after all she won the game and as far as the two of them know, that's how the fate is supposed to be decided). The husband, on the other hand, holds a lot more issues, resentment, regret, etc. and thus has to enter the cycle of reincarnation.

I'm leaning towards the buddhist interpretations because of some background imagery in the next episode preview, particularly some carvings in the background structures of the shot where the train car arrives at a stone platform.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Is this thread going to turn into a guessing game of what else is on the roulette?
I vote Death Foosball

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I will rule Death Air Hockey. My entire childhood was spent in dark, run-down dives, betting cold, hard tokens on games of Air Hockey which are inevitably spent on more air hockey, and sipping my Dr. Pepper from the vending machine somber barkeep.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I wonder what the black-haired lady did to get stuck in/employed at the bar, because it doesn't look like the uh patrons can normally choose to stay. Maybe it's like suicides in Beetlejuice except you have to run a Death Bar instead of afterlife DMV.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

This poo poo is already deeper than all 6 seasons of Lost and we're only one episode in

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

I wonder what the black-haired lady did to get stuck in/employed at the bar, because it doesn't look like the uh patrons can normally choose to stay. Maybe it's like suicides in Beetlejuice except you have to run a Death Bar instead of afterlife DMV.

Not that she also has different eyes then the rest of the employees (if that's what they all are). The next episode might go into that based on the preview.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I like to think it's because they tied and keep challenging each other to rematches.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

This opening episode was better than any psychological film I've seen in years.

Dark horse 2015.

Not really a dark horse since Death Billiards was really good and prolific enough to get it's own full-length show.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I can't remember the details of the original one-shot anime for this, but based on what I do remember, and what I saw in this episode 1, I don't think the actual results of the game have anything to do with which elevator you finally end up at. I think the game is where the players learn the truth about themselves or each-other.

Where you end up (oblivion or reincarnation) is already pre-determined. I think the wife in this last episode really did fool around on her the doctor-husband and did marry him, as she said, for his money. He just disgusted her enough during the game process where she finally admitted it to him. I appreciate how when he tried to hit her, he wasn't allowed to.

The elevators did get switched too (the masks in the beginning of the episode were on the opposite sides at the end). I wonder that was purely intentional, a mistake on the part of the animators, or something to throw off the person who ended up getting back on the elevator at the end?

I suspect the "threat" that Decim implies when the man states he won't choose the game is not really what happens to people who refuse to play the game. It's just a threat. I don't know why I think that, but I do. Sure the threat makes them play the game, but they'd end up choosing anyway.

Also, there wasn't enough alcohol consumption in this episode. You got a bartender and apparently no bar tab. Go crazy! Get me some of that top-shelf Blue Label stuff and keep it coming. I think I play all games better when I've had alcohol anyway.

I counted 12 games in the OP: Ice Skating, Kendama, Mahjong, (one that looks like it might be jacks but I can't tell and it may be dice and rods of some sort), Air Hockey, Darts, Some Dice Game (with just two dice), Cards (Trump--is Trump a game?), Billiards, Bowling, Tops, and a Gaming Console.

It looks like there are only nine random game slots though.

I love Twilight-Zone-type poo poo, so I'm really looking forward to this anime. I hope we get to see some interesting stories unfold during the games. Likewise, I always find stories like this show some interesting insight into Japanese culture. Not that everything they show is necessarily true or even what the culture is really like, but still I think there is some insight into the culture -- which I find interesting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dan7el posted:

I suspect the "threat" that Decim implies when the man states he won't choose the game is not really what happens to people who refuse to play the game. It's just a threat. I don't know why I think that, but I do. Sure the threat makes them play the game, but they'd end up choosing anyway.

I watched the first episode and then I watched the OVA, and in the standalone at least they're clearly all life sized mannequins.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I took the 2nd flashback to be the imaginary interpretation of events, but ultimately I am not sure it matters.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Mordja posted:

I watched the first episode and then I watched the OVA, and in the standalone at least they're clearly all life sized mannequins.

You can see they are mannequins in the OP as well.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It's presented as an implied threat to motivate patrons, but I'm thinking the mannequins mean "If you don't play the game you will end up playing a part here at Death Bar Inc." I'll bet hardly anyone really wants to do that so they spook folks into reincarnation/oblivion. Black-haired lady might be special in that she really desired the hidden third choice of "arbiter of souls" job. It's looks like a poo poo job though which is why Bartender Ginko "doesn't recommend it"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan7el posted:

I can't remember the details of the original one-shot anime for this, but based on what I do remember, and what I saw in this episode 1, I don't think the actual results of the game have anything to do with which elevator you finally end up at. I think the game is where the players learn the truth about themselves or each-other.

I re-watched the short the other day while I was waiting for the first episode to be available and Decim says something about playing the game to be labeled, and that both players were on equal footing so maybe the players are people who are equally deserving of both heaven/hell (or reincarnation/void) and need the game to push them to one side or the other, or at least have a final opportunity to influence their ultimate fate. IIRC the game and the winner were all pre-destined but they had the ability to change who won based on their actions in the game. It also seems like games are determined based on what both players have some ability with, since both guys in the short were experienced with pool and from their throwing stances it looked like the husband and wife knew how to play darts and it would be kinda lame if they're supposed to be equals to introduce a game that one of them has never played. I suppose if there was no common ground they'd have to go with a game that was based more on luck than skill which may be where the dice come in.

Watching the wife decide to tell the husband at the end, the way she faced away from him and completely changed her tone it sounded to me like she was just telling him what he wanted to hear. He was completely crushed by the thought that he'd killed his own child so maybe she felt that it would be easier for him to accept if he thought it wasn't his. As far as the scene with her in bed with someone plus her being on the phone, I think there is some truth in what she was saying -- there was someone else that she loved, but from the way he was on the phone when they were in bed that guy wasn't serious about her so she'd moved on to the doctor and was trying to get past that guy even though he kept texting and bothering her. She was responding before, but had stopped wanting to talk to him by the time of the honeymoon. I think based on the earlier flashback to the events of her relationship with the doctor that the child really was his, but she probably was screwing around with this other guy.

I'm really more interested in the staff characters and am looking forward to seeing more of the building and the other characters in the next episode. It looks to me just based on the preview and my own assumptions that we'll have one-off game of the week episodes and the backstory and inner workings of the staff and building will be the overarching plot that we'll get bits and pieces of in between. I'm just wondering if there will be much conflict beyond "black-haired girl is new and must learn the ropes" in the staff/backstage stuff.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dan7el posted:

It looks like there are only nine random game slots though.

There better be a real roulette wheel that the bartenders spin with great flourish in the future episodes or I swear to god

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Also I just might have to add the band that did the OP, BRADIO, to my list of stuff I regularly listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0E6y01OuQ

:allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

krampster2 posted:

This poo poo is already deeper than all 6 seasons of Lost and we're only one episode in

Yea. Even something as simple as "wait, 7 darts can't get 501 points, only 420, why would he give rules about..." had me grinding about what was going on before it was revealed that you don't even have to aim at your own target. And don't even have to use only your own darts!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tbh, the OP reminded me of Baccano! with all the different typefaces and energetic characters.

Who else thought the woman was lying to the man about being pregnant to gain a unfair advantage? C'mon I can't be the only person who considered it. I think that one moment she realized that in the end she really didn't even like him but only went to the meeting due to her parents or w/e. I got a sense their relationship wasn't that great even while they were alive as he obviously liked her way more than she did for him. Also, A+ animated emoting there.

I think when the bartender showed the hidden room he implied they'd be tortured or something worse because well, he did say during the game both players would be risking their lives already. It's either damned if you do or damned if you don't scenario.

Another vote for them talking about their jobs just having new guests show up each time since then it'd get old fast.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I didn't at all get the impression that she was lying about her pregnancy, especially because of the pregnancy test showing up in the flashback. Maybe not everything in flashback form was reliable but that seemed pretty unambiguous as just stuff that happened in their relationship.

tlarn posted:

Also I just might have to add the band that did the OP, BRADIO, to my list of stuff I regularly listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0E6y01OuQ

:allears:

This is really really loving good

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea. Even something as simple as "wait, 7 darts can't get 501 points, only 420, why would he give rules about..." had me grinding about what was going on before it was revealed that you don't even have to aim at your own target. And don't even have to use only your own darts!

420? Calling it now, this show, once you peel back all the layers and really look at it on a deep level is a sociopolitical commentary on the affects of smoking marijuana.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Before I saw the post-credit sting that contradicted it, I had an idea based on a momentary observation.

At the moment the elevators leave at the end of the episode, watch how the lights flash; it looks like they're going in the same direction. Had that actually been both intentional and relevant, I would have taken it to mean that both of them had spent so much of their life hurting each other that they were both condemned.

From a narrative standpoint I don't mind them clearing up the ambiguity, but I'm not really a fan of the punitive and arbitrary moral standard that seems to be at work here either way.

I really like the visual style of the show, though, and the fact that the episode was so uncomfortable to watch isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 12, 2015

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
It sorta sucks that if you die at the same time as someone else one of you is going to hell or oblivion or back to reincarnation or whichever is the bad one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, as we saw here, this is a pretty horrible way to handle stuff like car accidents. No way, say, all the inhabitants of a coach that flips over are going to be perfectly 50-50 divisible by good versus evil.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Although I guess the bartender says that when two people die at the same time they "may" be invited here, so maybe it's just in cases where it's called for?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, as we saw here, this is a pretty horrible way to handle stuff like car accidents. No way, say, all the inhabitants of a coach that flips over are going to be perfectly 50-50 divisible by good versus evil.

Or plane crashes, or tower crashes.

I'm assuming that they have the means to deal with large groups of people flooding the system.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

From a narrative standpoint I don't mind them clearing up the ambiguity, but I'm not really a fan of the punitive and arbitrary moral standard that seems to be at work here either way.

Agreed it feels not really that great for show about judgement for it be so random? I'm not exactly calling for Kira to make a cameo appearance here or anything either. I still look forward to next week's episode though.

BTW: I like shows where they try to deal w/the idea of the afterlife even though the concept of shinigami as been done to hell and back in many different series :sigh:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or plane crashes, or tower crashes.

I'm assuming that they have the means to deal with large groups of people flooding the system.

Death Football.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I meant arbitrary in the sense of damning someone to oblivion because they had an affair. I don't know what's typical for Eastern religions but from where I'm standing that's some old testament poo poo. I'm just waiting to see if the show wants us to think of the judgements the games provide as just and right, or if it's meant to be ugly and unfair for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I meant arbitrary in the sense of damning someone to oblivion because they had an affair. I don't know what's typical for Eastern religions but from where I'm standing that's some old testament poo poo. I'm just waiting to see if the show wants us to think of the judgements the games provide as just and right, or if it's meant to be ugly and unfair for some reason.

It really depends on what the girl meant in her last line. Sunyata isn't a bad thing in Buddhist thought, its basically the removal of your self. One school of though in Buddhism (the one where japanese Zen originates from) even claims that everything is void, that there is ultimately no intrinsic self on anything and that everything is composed of multiple forces acting together. Although, I'm pretty sure the girl did not actually say the words associated with sunyata in japanese zen. Still, her outcome could still be positive, though I'm assuming that if it is they'll go deeper into it in the next episodes

• Locked thread