Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Metroid is nintendo's best franchise. Here's my list:

Super > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Metroid > Prime 3 > Prime 2 > Metroid II >>>>>> Other M

Prime > Zero Mission > Super > Fusion > Prime 2 > Prime 3 > Metroid > Metroid 2 >>>>>>>>> other M, IMO

i dont know, ZM clicked with me the most out of any 2D metroid.

prime 3 was really pretty and had cool fights and was probably my favorite wii game, but metroid prime 2 nailed the feeling of isolation and running around creepy places and poo poo which is more important to me than the stupid space marine thing prime 3 went with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

Man I love the last area of Prime 2 so much.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ALL of the music in prime 2 is amazing though, even for the lame areas.

http://youtu.be/XX2KcYcSR64

http://youtu.be/9t-aQr7xbp8

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

All the music in every metroid owns

you're cool with me mister

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroid prime 1 is a constant reminder that games can be art and also good and fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im most partial to this version of phendrana drifts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocZ7pNmnluU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Brinstar gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itZWNqox8xM

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trilogy is insanely rare yeah so anyway totes unrelated

i love the poo poo out of it and have 100% completed save files of both normal and hard (hard and hyper, as they were relabeled) for all 3 games and god if i dont get random cravings to play it again

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lol thats not even the metal case. Come on son.

good luck finding a loving metal case one for <100 dollars

this was the last copy in my entire city after release and i hunted it the gently caress down

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i got a used copy of prime trilogy in metal case for like 50 bucks before they really started to climb, and i am thankful for it every day

lucky gently caress

im glad i even have this disc since even a used copy these days is like 70+

you cant put a price on being able to replay MP1 and 2 whenever i want with glorious wii controls tho

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

Only prolly with the prime trilogy is that prime 1 and 2's particle effects look better on game cube. Don't ask me how the gently caress that happened just keep playing metroid prime cause it's loving powerful

the issue is with metroid prime 2, some of the charge beam effects are hosed up. the water distortion effects in MP1 were also removed, since in the port all 3 games are running on the Mp3 engine and mp3's water physics are more complex (it was all fuel gel and poo poo) and caused all sorts of performance issues.

but, there's neon bloom in all the right places for MP1 and both games run/load a lot better so whatevs. i just wish mp2 also got the bloom treatment

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The metroid game should be 2d on the wii u...it woudl look so good and would have miiverse support...it would be sick

but..a metroid prime style game that looks like crysis..i want it..

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Prime 1 still looks fantastic, and its because of the area aesthetics and the monster designs. Super metroid still looks great. I dont want something with insane graphics, I just want something. Anything!

they're working on a 3D one for the wiiu and a 2D one for the 3ds. it has already been written. we will probably find out more about it this year's E3.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Anime Curator posted:

yeah yeah I'll believe it when I see it bud

quote:

Takahashi then shared some tantalizing information: "So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

once again

quote:

Takahashi then shared some tantalizing information: "So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them."

they're confirmed to be in the works. when we'll see gameplay of them and stuff is totally up in the air but it will probably be this e3

they've also commented in the past that retro is #1 as far as any future with metroid goes so it's probably their next big game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

prime 3 is great and has amazing moments. i just wish you were left the gently caress alone

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i jumped in and out of the water in prime 1 like ten times to watch the water run down the visor when i first played it

when you first arrive on tallon IV and the rain bounces off your suit and leaves droplets on your visor :worship:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

i think Nintendo officially said that the Retro games are the better 3D game format, so Sakamoto probably won't have a say in the franchise from here on out

sakamoto got "promoted" away into a different office where he's in charge of nothing so yeah lmao

reading the interviews with team ninja where they politely said he's a controlling, anal-retentive maniac that actually has no idea what he's doing and constantly threatened to shut the project down if things weren't done his way was pretty enlightening

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 10, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The missile combos are all rad. I love the wave buster

even tho it dealt poo poo damage, ghost buster gun was amazing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked the ammo because it balanced out the other beams being so powerful. in MP1 you got the plasma beam and there was no reason to use anything else except on doors and the pirate elites.

what mp3 did with beams is good on paper but in practice it sucked. it just took too long to get upgrades, you're on the default power beam for half the game and then the plasma beam is an extremely mild upgrade.

then at the very end you get a murder cannon that can one/two shot the hardest enemies

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

guacamelee is a very good metroid game, in the same vein as fusion

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's basically what prime was, which is why it's so cool

theres quite a bit of story in prime, but you have to dig for it and scan poo poo. or you can completely ignore it. that is why prime is the best

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah a really annoying thing about prime 2 was how much you were forced to watch cutscenes and poo poo and story exposure in order to get the stupid color-coded door upgrade

i guess no one at retro realized that what made prime 1 so good was the feeling of isolation and that you were just exploring this living breathing world that was being hosed by the space pirates and prime, prime 2 had story exposure and cutscenes and poo poo and prime 3 just went full on SAMUS YOU NEED TO HERE NOW SAMUS THERE IS A DISTRESS SIGNAL ugh

i guess they did it to appeal to japan who likes that poo poo but they clearly dont give a poo poo about metroid at all so who cares

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

coincidentally the prime series has the same exact problem the souls series had, as the gameplay and visuals improved the overall feel of the game, story, immersion etc. went to poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like the artifact/key/powercell hunting in all the primes. it makes backtracking for all the upgrades you missed feel like part of the main quest instead of just dicking around and postponing the final fight.

one of my favorite games, ZM, did this in the worst way because you get several major upgrades like 1 minute before the final boss and you're expected to re-track the whole game world just because. i mean all the puzzles they hid behind areas only accessible to the gravity suit and space jump and poo poo were really awesome but drat did that feel awkward

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also really love the light suit. the dark suit looks cool but it also has this clunky built-out-of-necessity look to it, whereas the lightsuit slims you down and is all smooth and poo poo because it's this super high-tech chozo/luminoth fusion of tech. being impervious to all dark stuff as a final upgrade was really neat, too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked the idea of ing being corrupted by your upgrades and using them against you, it was cool to have your own power bombs thrown at you and stuff like that.

dark-infected enemies were cool as hell too. it's too bad that dark commandos are all you loving see after a while and they're never worth the fight. one of the weak points of the game for me tbh, especially when the regular pirate commandos were really fun and crazy but you only fight like 6 total in the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

the dark beam is sick as hell but it's also rarely useful and that's a shame

the black and white cookie beam is just bad even though it has sort of a cool missile combo

the dark beam murdered everything that wasn't classified as a "dark" enemy, which includes dark samus (to tell you it was metroid prime). it also froze the hardest normal enemies and let you shatter them with missiles.

the annihilator beam was good but it wasn't as good as light on dark or dark on light so there was never a situation where you would use it over them. it was a loving boss killer though, totally shreds emperor ing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

also if you used it on the crystals in the dark world it made the ing suicide on them like retarded moths.

yeah this was the best thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this thread made me want to replay the primes but i quickly realized i know the games by heart so there's not a lot of fun in doing that. ive just played them to death tbh

the giant slow intro on prime 3 that lasts 2 loving hours doesnt help either. i dont understand why theres no option to just skip it and start on bryyo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Zero mission is infinitely better than metroid fusion

they each have their strengths. it depends on what you want out of a metroid game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i want a star fox post-credit sequence to metroid prime 3 where after saving the galaxy from phazon and poo poo it counts everything you murdered and calculates a bill and the head guy from GF goes "WAIT W-WHAAA"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

if the (hopefully) inevitable 3DS metroid game has a dumb fuckin 2.5d artstyle i'm gopnna be friggin pissed

same. this was my biggest disappointment with the new zelda. oh great, im playing a game that's struggling to look better than an N64 title wow.

give me pretty smooth high-def sprites or give me death

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

link between worlds may not have looked bad but imagine how much better it would've been in 2D

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sheegoth is way better if you know the missile quickfire trick.

it's really easy. launch missile, press beam button to reset it, launch missile again. actually this makes like the entire first half of the game a breeze

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Regardless of the looks (which allowed for the main new gameplay feature anyway) LBW runs at 60fps and that kicks rear end.

this is nice

i would've just preferred cool looking hd sprites instead of what we got. i hope the next 2D metroid is 2D and not 2.5D bullshit, but that will probably be the case especially if it's on the 3DS.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

Ahahah yes the Pirates roll up on Aether and just get completely loving stomped

so do the GF. an eternal war between completely incompetent factions that for some reason have access to star trek technology

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i thought it looked cool. the acid armor effect was cool as hell too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

all suits are good except the one in fusion where you look like different colored garbage throughout the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

using the lasso in mp3 was fun, especially in combat. you just had to flick the nunchuck. jesus christ people really love whining about having to twitch the controllers around every now and then

• Locked thread