Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
everyone always talks up blink but really the double jump move got you almost as far but with the bonus of not having to aim it every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not a point against it, I just thought it was interesting how similar these two games looked, despite being set in somewhat different worlds.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

everyone always talks up blink but really the double jump move got you almost as far but with the bonus of not having to aim it every time

i thought it was lovely that agility was advertised as something worthless like "makes you a bit faster and jump a bit higher" but it actually gives you a tremendous double jump and a ton of more speed

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
everything in that game was incredibly satisfying except for the no kill no upgrades no alarms achievement being buggy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i will say that being punished for killing incredibly evil men in a savage dystopia while wearing a mechanical skull is the stupidest loving thing ever but i guess they had to balance kill runs being way too easy somehow

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I had way more fun doing things in a no kill manner so whatever. The only two powers I really cared about (stop time and blink) are very useful for either.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

What the. If you're playing with a mouse you can pull off all sorts of crazy stunts with it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it was just lovely to give you really cool tools for murdering people (the first loving thing they give you is a sword and crossbow) and then they go "btw if you actually kill people that is BAD and you are a BAD PERSON"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You had to kill a massive shitload of enemies before you were punished with the evil ending. Even if you play a no reload game where you regularly get into fights with guards usually won't be enough to trigger it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

it was just lovely to give you really cool tools for murdering people (the first loving thing they give you is a sword and crossbow) and then they go "btw if you actually kill people that is BAD and you are a BAD PERSON"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Supposedly for most of the dev cycle there were no plans to have a nonlethal option at all, hence the lack of nonlethal tools and the tacked-on morality system.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You had to kill a massive shitload of enemies before you were punished with the evil ending. Even if you play a no reload game where you regularly get into fights with guards usually won't be enough to trigger it.

i only killed a mild amount of people and still got the bad ending. either way, there's cheevos and bonus points and stuff for killing absolutely no one, not "only a few people" so it was clear what they wanted you to do

FactsAreUseless posted:

Supposedly for most of the dev cycle there were no plans to have a nonlethal option at all, hence the lack of nonlethal tools and the tacked-on morality system.

lmao

dont get me wrong i really loving loved the game, but who would've thought a morality system would poo poo up an otherwise great title

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

lmao

dont get me wrong i really loving loved the game, but who would've thought a morality system would poo poo up an otherwise great title
The developers kept talking about how it wasn't a morality system because it wasn't good vs. evil, but then they made the game straight up harder on high chaos, due to the extra rats and weepers.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in the good I MEAN nonlethal ending the scientist guys literally cure the plague via magic and you're praised eternally as the hero of the world

in the chaos ending you are told the city is basically engulfed by the plague and war

seems pretty clear to me

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I liked the good ending. It was sappy but whatever, I felt like I worked hard and actually made a difference which was cool. IMO if they ever make a sequel they should remove the part about the plague being gone forever via magic but who knows.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hope if theres a sequel theres no morality system and you are just punished appropriately for stealthy non-lethal vs. violence

the MGS series solved this in the early 2000s.

Guard finds someone sleeping: Hey, get up! *kick*

Guards find someone missing head: uhh UUHHH GUYS WE NEED MORE GUARDS HERE

Dec 26, 2012

Mung Dynasty posted:

a major point to blink is that enemies cant see you zip by them so you can blink behind a dude and shank him

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I'm really really bad at this game but I liked what I played of it, OP.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Of course OP....... I'm a 90s kid.....

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Good endings are overrated anyway.

Bad endings ftw

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

agreed. Hoping for a sequel as well

Sequel's been confirmed for a while. Gonna take place in Dishonored-Russia, apparently.

Hopefully they let you have a decent ending even if you do High Chaos next time. It sucks that you can't use your powers to do poo poo like throwing people into the path of their own bullets without getting told "YOU ARE A BAD PERSON" at the end.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What the. If you're playing with a mouse you can pull off all sorts of crazy stunts with it.

this is true but it is also fun to jump around

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Sequel's been confirmed for a while. Gonna take place in Dishonored-Russia, apparently.

Hopefully they let you have a decent ending even if you do High Chaos next time. It sucks that you can't use your powers to do poo poo like throwing people into the path of their own bullets without getting told "YOU ARE A BAD PERSON" at the end.

i liked the high chaos ending better really. the last level was way cooler

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's a good point that your only punishment is changed ending slides...like not even really a punishment at all.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Storyfags need to calm the gently caress down.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought the game was way more challenging if you just tried to straight up almost totally ignore stealth so I'm glad high chaos had more enemies to gently caress up with my sword.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

The high chaos save Emily ending is objectively the best because it's real as gently caress

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Storyfags need to calm the gently caress down.

I just skip all the cutscenes every time after my first run.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's a good point that your only punishment is changed ending slides...like not even really a punishment at all.
Some levels play out differently and high chaos adds more obstacles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Austrian mook posted:

I just skip all the cutscenes every time after my first run.

i skip them all in my first run.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some levels play out differently and high chaos adds more obstacles.

That's a good thing you numbskull.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

i skip them all in my first run.

:negative:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's a good thing you numbskull.
Yeah, high chaos is more fun, I'm just saying there are differences other than the ending.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, high chaos is more fun, I'm just saying there are differences other than the ending.

Well duh. I didn't say it was the only difference.

Dec 26, 2012

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

The high chaos save Emily ending is objectively the best because it's real as gently caress

wisdom

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
dishonored is good, but too short and there aren't enough nonlethal options so it ends up being way more fun to just kill everyone

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
They need to add the kick from Dark Messiah to this, and maybe the spell that makes the floor slippery too.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

SunAndSpring posted:

They need to add the kick from Dark Messiah to this, and maybe the spell that makes the floor slippery too.

i'm reinstalling dark messiah now

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It is actually criminal that more devs haven't aped the combat from that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Fuuuuuuuck

• Locked thread